Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Phénazone from 4 amino phénazone
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alkylating her DNA

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 02:03
Making Phénazone from 4 amino phénazone

Hi everyone first post, im actually working on a project in organic chemistry wich would be to remove the tertiary amine of 4 aminophénazone to make phénazone (i want to use it to make triboluminescent lanthanide complex).

If you are wondering why dont i directly buy phénazone, well i got 200g of this stuff for free and would like to use it for something instead of just letting it cover in dust on a shelve

The procedure i actually found was to first transform this amine to an hydroxyle group using nitrous acid (from an old paper with a 92% yeild apparently)

But then im kinda stuck after this, peoples have told me to use then tosyl chloride (wich i dont have but can make it from scrap) to remove the hydroxyl but i would like to be as sure as possible before taking a week to make the tosyl chloride

If you have any suggestions of what to do with 4 amino phénazone too go for it, i already tried to complex it with lanthanum ( sort of yellow goo glowing slightly under UV) and cerium (pink solution, no crystals or precipitate forming) and Uranium III (no real result).

(PS: im not english native so dont mind to much if i do some writting mistake)

[Edited on 31-7-2020 by Ormarion]
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 02:21

By 4-aminophenazone are we talking amino-antipyrine (1-phenyl-2,3-dimethyl-4-amino-5-pyrazolone)? If so then can you not diazotize the amine group (it readily forms diazonium salts) and apply reduction/degradation? I seem to recall that warming in alcohol or with hypophosphorus acid are the normal procedures; this is a well established procedure. I can't remember the reaction name but I am sure there are examples in Vogel or similar organic chemistry textbooks.

Alternatively prepare it from phenylhydrazine its an easy synthesis :).

diazotised amino-antipyrine couples with many phenolic compounds producing brightly coloured dyes, many of which act as metal ligands.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 02:27

Aaah yea sorry i should have precise , its called 4-amino phénazone but its real formula is 4-(diméthylamino)-1,5-diméthyl-2-phényl-1,2-dihydro-3H-pyrazol-3-one , the amine have 2 methyl group on it.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 03:02

In this case the reaction wont work, for the synth, well i need sodium to make the ethyl acetoacetate and more iodine than i already have for the final reaction, that's why im searching an other way
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 03:20

In that case I think you are pretty well stuffed. There is a reaction that removes dimethylamino groups in certain special occasions eg from 4-nitroso-N,N-dimethylaniline but I can't see it being much use in this case as there is no ring position left to substitute.

In the UK ethyl acetoacetate is still available from companies like APCpure, its noramlly the phenylhydrazine that is the problem; oh and the dimethyl sulphate to convert the pyrazolone into antipyrine. Yes not exactly OTC!

I must admit that I just bought my antipyrine from a European ebay seller.
Ormarion
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2020 at 03:35

Well, im in France actually , i can buy 1l of ethyl acetoacetate for 35 euros, wich is more expensive than the liter of aniline i also got on this site. for the dimethyl sulfate part ...i dont touch that kind of stuff. I should probably still try to see if the protocol i found to reduce it to an hydroxyle group can make some nice complex.

Go To Top