AN : TNT = 0.63

Beirut: 2.75 kt AN = 1.74 kt TNT
Hiroshima: 12.5 kt TNT

Beirut : Hiroshima = 13.93%
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 04:35

It's unlikely that all the AN detonated.

" Initial estimates of the yield of the explosion ranged from hundreds of tons of TNT equivalent, to between 1.0 and 1.5 kilotons. "
From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_artificial_non-nuclear...

Something like 1 to 10% of the energy of the Hiroshima bomb.
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 06:05

The storagehaus photos are fake. The exploded stoff was ammoniumnitrate technical grade (not agricultural grade this is flegmatised) made in Russia. A russian ship 6 years ago delivered this (cca 2700 mto) for coal and stone mine somewhere to Africa, but near of Beirut had a a big technical problem After that, got the shipper bankrupt the appropriated AN was very bad condition storaged etc.. Such blindness, irresponsibility and inadequacy cant wondering.

Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  
Quote: Originally posted by Brightthermite  
Close up video of the first explosion but I dont see how the person taking the video could have survived the second one https://twitter.com/i/status/1290726770459672576

That had to just be some fireworks or something exploding before the AN, no way him and the phone would have survived that close.

That first explosion did not look like a firework at all. They were the normal white flashes.

Munition of some sort? Rumors going around that they had confiscaded weapons there
The first real explosion that ended the video from the room full of AN was white-yellow and was so fast. Burned clean . What the heck was that?

Maybe this should just be left alone. World be a better place if everyone believes it was accident.

Munition of some sort? There were rumors they had confiscated munitions but who knows. There literally could have been anything else stored there with the AN. Compressed gas cylinders, fuels and solvents, who knows. I agree tho the twitter video you linked had to be something a bit more hefty then fireworks.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 10:34

Power lines in fires are a pretty good source of bright white flashes too.

All the people who are saying that "just fireworks" don't cause explosions clearly don't know what they are on about.
This is what happens if you set fire to a shipping container with 6 tons of fireworks (and that's what you would expect in a warehouse at a port).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F55r0JL_lTQ
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 7-8-2020 at 21:06

Just fire can set off AN.
Smaller explosions may have been smaller portions of AN detonating before the whole thing went up.
Given that I would expect other confiscated goods to be stored in the same warehouse there is no telling what was there. It could have been actual bombs that got caught being smuggled or fireworks or counterfeit purses, and chances are the records went up with the warehouse.
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 02:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDhIGR-83w
Fireworks and AN were stored in the same warehouse. It could have been intentional...

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 03:55

Quote: Originally posted by simply RED  
Fireworks and AN were stored in the same warehouse. It could have been intentional...

In general, given a choice between assuming something is a cockup or a conspiracy, it's usually safe to assume someone screwed up.

[Edited on 8-8-20 by unionised]
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-8-2020 at 05:08

aka Hanlon’s Razor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon’s_razor

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  

In general, given a choice between assuming something is a cockup or a conspiracy, it's usually safe to assume someone screwed up.

[Edited on 8-8-20 by unionised]
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 18:58

New angle uploaded today.

4K footage of Lebanon explosion shows Beirut Port blast unfolding in slow motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vGkIKxGAg

Watched it full screen its sharp.

Someone made a compilation set to music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vGkIKxGAg

There is probably tons more video but I don't think they have any working cell towers left in Beirut for people to be posting things on You Tube right now.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 04:15

It's really hard not to think these are fireworks popping off before the main explosion.
NH4NO3 will give off gasses before blowing up (if it ever does) that could have worsened the fire.

Good luck to the forensics team. Science and politics are not miscible under normal conditions.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 05:38

Yeah, i no way do I think this was an attack or sabotage. Improperly stored materials in a developing nation is not something that should surprise anybody. As @plastics mentioned, seems like a classic Hanlon's Razor. Really the only folks who are dug into this conspiracy behind it seem to be the one's attempting to inject conspiracy into literally every news story that drops every day. Our quest here is to be logical and to limit conjecture. Every expert account I've read that pyro_cat initially posted as well as others agree that the detonation was a classic AN detonation. What good is the attack speculation when there is literally no evidence other than some shady, grainy videos on youtube that hold about as much weight as the WTC videos?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-8-2020 at 12:37

Yes, absolutely, Israel decides to nuke Beirut just for the gags of it, and best part of it, reveal it's neither acknowledged nor denied nuclear arsenal. So, let's see some radioactive residue from beirut. I suppose there are working particle detectors in Lebanon?

It is a well documented fact that AN can and will detonate in mass quantities when exposed to fire, heat and given sufficient time. If you have thousands of tons of it going off, it will make a big mess, even if it doesn't fully detonate, especially if it happens to occur in a middle of a city.

Considering it had an effective blast of over 1 kiloton, it has a surprisingly low body count Several orders of magnitude smaller charges have induced an order of magnitude higher casualties.

[Edited on 11-8-2020 by Fyndium]
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 05:49

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
Yes, absolutely, Israel decides to nuke Beirut just for the gags of it, and best part of it, reveal it's neither acknowledged nor denied nuclear arsenal. So, let's see some radioactive residue from beirut. I suppose there are working particle detectors in Lebanon?

It is a well documented fact that AN can and will detonate in mass quantities when exposed to fire, heat and given sufficient time. If you have thousands of tons of it going off, it will make a big mess, even if it doesn't fully detonate, especially if it happens to occur in a middle of a city.

Considering it had an effective blast of over 1 kiloton, it has a surprisingly low body count Several orders of magnitude smaller charges have induced an order of magnitude higher casualties.

Exactly. The whole "everything is a conspiracy" is becoming a tired argument really quickly.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 14:19

Pure ammonium nitrate can explode, especially been heated (melted) in large quantities. No problem. The red color of the cloud after the explosion clearly indicates that it was pure ammonium nitrate (I mean, AN without a significant amount of some flammable components- coal, gasoline, and so on). Positive OB, guys. NOx arises under such conditions. BTW, once I was able to initiate the mix AN + Al with a small charge of homemade black powder.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  

I agree with all of that except the part about needing particle detectors to prove or disprove if it was nuclear.

Here's a link to a survey of fallout patterns for 2 separate 1.2kT nuclear bursts, one laid on the ground surface (same one I linked a video of in a previous post) and one buried 17ft underground. It's a 13ish mb file, so I didn't upload it. Note on 14 and 15 of the document, there is a map of the contamination for the surface burst, showing the area exposed to 100r/hr an hour after initiation. The area extends about 300 meters upwind of ground zero, and about 3.5km downwind in a strip about 500m across. Note that a person who ignorantly stayed in this area until the worst of the fallout had dissipated (e.g. a week or two) would accumulate about 5x that dose.

The attached document, chapter 8 of Glasstone and Dolan's Effects of Nuclear Weapons, shows that a nuclear device will also create an instantaneous pulse of radiation when it goes off.This is separate from the contamination effects, and figure 8.33a (page 10 of the document) shows 300r of initial radiation at about 800m from a single kiloton device.

For reference, 100r will cause obvious symptoms of radiation poisoning, and 500r is often fatal within in a few weeks.

TL;DR? If a low kiloton nuke had gone off in Beirut, more people would be dying from radiation than from the heat or force of the blast itself.We'd be looking at a few thousand people with distinctive radiation sickness symptoms at a minimum.

Attachment: eonw_8.pdf (5.4MB)
This file has been downloaded 465 times

I now have a YouTube channel. So far just electronics and basic High Voltage experimentation, but I'll hopefully have some chemistry videos soon.
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 12-8-2020 at 22:09

Who put the fireworks together with the AN in the same warehouse is most to blame...

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2020 at 23:51

Who put the fireworks together with the AN in the same warehouse is most to blame...

Well, all of them - at least 7 batches of explosives - were confiscated because they were dangerous at the hands of whoever held them.

Just because government confiscates stuff because it is dangerous in private hands does not mean the stuff stops being dangerous when it is in government hands.

Government has just one dangerous goods warehouse, too small for the loads of dangerous goods confiscated from people? Fine, then there is not enough space to stop fires from spreading, and the whole warehouse goes up in a chain of explosions.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 07:29

one thing people dont realize about AN is that it has a very high gas volume, i believe its 980L/kg where RDX and the like is around 600 or 700
i dont really get why there was fireworks going off before the blast, it seemed planned. first you want to get the AN very hot, maybe even molten, now from the pics its clear to see there was contaminats getting into the bags, this could serve to sensitize the mix, especially if it was iron rich dust
anyhow, israel took the blame saying they bombed the warehouse assuming it was a weapons stash, later on said that the AN was used by terrorists, it was a supply station - just seems too coincidential to me, the NO2 cloud would explain that it wasnt an actual explosive mixture, that the balance was really poor and would also explain that it didnt all go off entirely as seen with many tannerite videos, its possible to set such mixtures off low-order where the nitrogen in the NO2 isnt freed and you miss out on a lot of power
all that aside really nice bang, have we ever gotten that great a view of some blast that majestic?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  

i dont really get why there was fireworks going off before the blast,

all that aside really nice bang, have we ever gotten that great a view of some blast that majestic?

Fireworks are easy to set off, They are designed to be; that's why many of them went off first.

Not a really nice bang- it killed over 200 people.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 15:12

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
one thing people dont realize about AN is that it has a very high gas volume, i believe its 980L/kg where RDX and the like is around 600 or 700
i dont really get why there was fireworks going off before the blast, it seemed planned. first you want to get the AN very hot, maybe even molten, now from the pics its clear to see there was contaminats getting into the bags, this could serve to sensitize the mix, especially if it was iron rich dust
anyhow, israel took the blame saying they bombed the warehouse assuming it was a weapons stash, later on said that the AN was used by terrorists, it was a supply station - just seems too coincidential to me, the NO2 cloud would explain that it wasnt an actual explosive mixture, that the balance was really poor and would also explain that it didnt all go off entirely as seen with many tannerite videos, its possible to set such mixtures off low-order where the nitrogen in the NO2 isnt freed and you miss out on a lot of power

This sounds a bit conspiratorial to me. I am not aware of any credible claims that this was anything but an accident – preventable, but accidental nonetheless.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2020 at 21:26

This is new, November 20, 2020

https://interestingengineering.com/video/research-team-relea...
ShotBored
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 11:02

This is new, November 20, 2020

https://interestingengineering.com/video/research-team-relea...

Their full published paper is free to the public on Wiley's Propellants, Explosives, and Pyrotechnics journal. The team did a great job with their findings and used to fairly cunning procedures to get their results. The nuclear equivalent seemed to be somewhere between the old "Davey Crockett" tactical nukes and the Air-to-Air anti-bomber squadron nukes...don't remember what Americans called it back in the day.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/prep.202000227

I really do hope this finally puts to rest the discussion about whether it was an attack or an accident....I think the evidence is quite clear here that the only "enemy" that caused this senseless loss of human life was pure negligence.
leau
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2022 at 06:18

Review on Thermal Decomposition of Ammonium Nitrate

SHALINI CHATURVEDI AND PRAGNESH N. DAVE

Journal of Energetic Materials, 31: 1–26, 2013
ISSN: 0737-0652 print=1545-8822 online
DOI: 10.1080/07370652.2011.573523

In this review data from the literature on thermal decomposition of ammonium nitrate (AN) and the effect of additives to their thermal decomposition are summarized. The effect of additives like oxides, cations, inorganic acids, organic compounds, phase-stablized CuO, etc., is discussed. The effect of an additive mainly occurs at the exothermic peak of pure AN in a temperature range of 200 ° C to 140 ° C.

is attached :cool:

Attachment: UEGM_A_5735232finalcopy.pdf (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 226 times

[Edited on 6-2-2022 by leau]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top