Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas chromatography packed column design.
goldberg
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2020 at 08:19
Gas chromatography packed column design.

Sorry if i'm posting in wrong part of forum but i was not sure where this post should go.

I'm looking for materials about design of packed columns for gas chromatography(especially gas-liquid chromatography). I have found decent book about
design of columns for liquid chromatography but i do not know if i can apply Kozeny-Karman and Darcy-Weisbach equations to gas chromatography column straight away.

Second part: I'm looking for recommendations for materials for such column. I need to analyse typical(rather simple) organic compounds, say caproic acid, toluene and acetophenone.

Chromosorb is way to expensive for me, how about using diatomasceous earth?
And what would be good option for stationary phase? I have read about using Apiezon for GLC. Parrafin would be very non-polar what is propably not the best choice for my purposes.

I would be gratefull for recommendation of books, materials to use for columns and Your own experiences.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2020 at 09:34

GC uses VERY different packing than LC or TLC, you need to find a books specific to GC. And using junk for packing will give junky results. You only need enough packing material for a small tube, so the cost should not be that bad. Just try to find an old packed column on Ebay or somewhere like that.

Go To Top