Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Elemental Scientific Liquidating Chemicals, glassware, and used equipment
tomholm
Owner of BME Lab and Science and Elemental Scientific

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 22-8-2020 at 06:47
Elemental Scientific Liquidating Chemicals, glassware, and used equipment

Hi All,

Just want to let you know that Elemental Scientific will be liquidating its chemical, glassware, hardware, and used equipment inventory. Our business has grown in other areas and we've decided that we need to apply our energies there.

I currently have roughly 2 warehouses full of inventory. I would prefer to sell in larger lot sizes. As you might suspect, there are some items that I have a lot of, e.g., various sizes of graduated cylinders, round bottom flasks, crucibles, clamps, glass bottles, etc. I also have a wide variety of chemicals - some in smaller quantities, 16 oz, others is larger quantities, 5 kg, or 25 kg.

At this stage, I would prefer to work with people who are looking to buy larger quantities and are able to pick up with trailer(s). We are located in St. Paul, MN. I would also be open to shipping pallet sized loads (chemical get a little tricky).

I am finalizing a list of items. Please contact me U2U if interested. I think this would be a great opportunity for someone looking to get into business or wanting to set up the ultimate lab. Keep what you want and sell the rest.

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 22-8-2020 at 09:54

This sounds like you are getting out of the small science market :(
This a tremendous loss to our community as well as the home school community.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 22-8-2020 at 23:10

Shit, now I have to update my website's SQL database of chemical sources.

Hopefully someone else will rise up to fill the (tiny) demand that elemental scientific used to fulfill.

[Edited on 8-23-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
earpain
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 05:41

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
This sounds like you are getting out of the small science market :(
This a tremendous loss to our community as well as the home school community.

I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of the economics involved.
Our favorite suppliers on Ebay etc. get all of their 3rd hand equipment every time something like this occurs. The only difference is this company chose to first post on sciencemadness, rather than reach out to the huge liquidation companies that have pretty websites and portals catering precisely to people like OP.

But on a more fundamental level:
Even just the interest and strength of your emotional reaction right there, had some effect on the value of the experimentalist/homeschooler/etc. market for scientific instruments. As long as YOU, and those like YOU(us) exist, there is a demand. The supply will always tend towards equilibrium with demand.

source: I use to work for a computer de-manufacturing company. Much of the business interplay was similar.

OP: I would take you up on your offer if I had the capital to invest in such palettes and facilities/logistics. There's a chance I will soon, maybe I will reach out.
Thank you SO MUCH for the heads up here on SciMad. That speaks deeply to your integrity over your interest in $$$
tomholm

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 06:51
Some additional thoughts...

I've received a few questions about whether this means that Elemental Science is getting out of the small science market. Unfortunately, the answer is "yes", although I probably didn't really want to admit that. Over the years, I have operated both an online store and a physical store selling science to the small businesses, schools, students, and hobbyists. I have viewed this part of my business as more of a service to those customers, whom I've always enjoyed meeting and learning so much from.

That said, the time has come where the other parts of my business requires more of my time, energy, and warehouse space. As a result, I need to make some changes. I wasn't very clear in my earlier post as to what I am selling. I'm pretty flexible, but after giving it more thought, here are some options:

1. Sell entire Elemental Scientific business - this would include the name, web site, inventory, point of sale system, vendor relationships/accounts, etc. This could be a sale to an individual or a company.

2. Establish a co-op, perhaps associated with Science Madness or other group of individuals, to continue the mission. In this day and age, it is something that could be run as a distributed company. One person would need to handle the warehouse and shipping, another could handle the website and marketing, another could handle the purchasing, etc. I would be willing to discuss something like this if there there is an interested group.

3. Liquidate inventory in large lots. I will be putting together a more comprehensive list of inventory over the next week or two. Might actually be best supplement with a video.

There's certainly a case to be made that with online education and home school increasing, access to to small science is more critical than ever. I have not seen a decrease in demand - whether it be people coming in to our store or online orders. I do think that, like any business, demand responds to marketing.

I'm open to discussing these or other options if someone is interested. Just U2U me and we'll talk.

macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 20:15

earpain,
Elemental Scientific has been one of the best sources for hard to get chemicals and previously made special orders for sciencemadness members. There are other suppliers like chemsavers but they do not cater to us. While ebay is a good resource, it is hit or miss and many things are not available when you need it and shipments from overseas can take months.

Tom,
You will be missed by our community.
If I had the money I would take option 1 but unless I win the powerball, that isn't happening.
One thing to consider is selling to a competitor.
The Science Company is in a similar line of business and could potentially benefit from your stock.
I shop with them a good bit but don't have any affiliation.

I would love it if there was a group of members here that had the resources to handle option 2.
tomholm

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 05:03
Posting More Information on Inventory

Hi All,

Thanks for your patience as I pull together information on the inventory. I've done 2 things to help convey information about the items available and the volume available. I've produced 5 videos showing products as displayed in my store and uploaded those to a youtube channel. For all of you who have never had the chance to visit the store, I think you'll find these very interesting. Here is the link to the Elemental Scientific Youtube Channel

Additionally, I've created a spreadsheet listing the inventory items. This is inventory stored in my warehouse. There is overlap of items shown in the videos and contained in the list, but there are many items shown in the video that are not contained in the spreadsheet. Also, the number of items shown in the spreadsheet only include items in the warehouse, not in the store. The spreadsheet is a work in progress and I expect that I will need to post updates to that. I've attached the spreadsheet.

I have not taken an inventory of the chemicals yet. That will be coming in the near future.

And lastly, I would like to gauge the interest in larger, bulk purchases, so I may not respond to requests of prices for single items. I'm afraid I just don't have time to do that right now.

Thanks for your time and interest. I look forward to hearing from you.

Attachment: Warehouse Inventory 8-30-20_2 - consolidated.xlsx (42kB)
This file has been downloaded 692 times

andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2021 at 21:27

Quote: Originally posted by tomholm  

1. Sell entire Elemental Scientific business - this would include the name, web site, inventory, point of sale system, vendor relationships/accounts, etc. This could be a sale to an individual or a company.

There's certainly a case to be made that with online education and home school increasing, access to to small science is more critical than ever. I have not seen a decrease in demand - whether it be people coming in to our store or online orders. I do think that, like any business, demand responds to marketing.

I'm open to discussing these or other options if someone is interested. Just U2U me and we'll talk.

Probably too late to mention it but I'm sure at least one MBA student at a nearby MN university may be interested. They'd have to make a presentation with evidence to a bank to get them to finance the sale.

tomholm

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 15:02
Elemental Scientific Auction

Lab Supplies and Equipment Liquidation Auction

Elemental Scientific and BME Lab and Science

Sorry, I've been having trouble with my postings. Here is the information that I wanted to provide to you.

BME Lab and Science and Elemental Scientific are closing their retail store and online website that sold lab supplies and lab equipment. This change will allow us to focus our resources on providing repair and calibration services to our many wonderful and loyal customers, as well as, build our new business, Green Science Solutions, that distributes new, sustainable cleaning and disinfecting technologies and services. (If you haven't been to our web site, www.greensciencesolutions.com, please check us out. There are a lot of great products coming on the market as a result of the pandemic.) We are all about how to effectively clean and disinfect without using strong, harmful chemicals. -- And, yes, we do know a thing or two about harmful chemicals!

As a result, we are clearing our warehouse and auctioning a large amount of lab supplies, including glassware, clamps, used equipment and more! Most of the lab glassware and hardware items are new, never used. We will also have an assortment of used, unique glassware. Much of the lab equipment is used, but fully tested and functioning.

Bids can be placed through the online auction platform K-Bid Auctions .

This will be your last and only opportunity to purchase these items, so please check out our auction today! To avoid confusion, we have removed these products from our Elemental Scientific website during this auction.

Thank you,
Tom Holm
President

njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 15:09

FYI, that link to k-bid didn't work. I had to remove https from the url.

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
tomholm

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 15:11

Hopefully, this link will work: K-bid Auctions

tomholm

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 10:05
Chemical Business

I should also add that if anyone is interested in acquiring just the chemical part of the business, inventory and website, let me know. I'm sure we could work something out.

Tom Holm

tomholm

[*] posted on 7-4-2021 at 19:02

Hi All,

Here is the link to the second of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there. More to come.

2nd K-Bid Auction

tomholm

[*] posted on 28-4-2021 at 19:28
Auctions #3 and #4

Hi All,

Here is the link to the third of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there. More to come.

3rd K-Bid Auction Ends tomorrow.

4th Auction

tomholm

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 06:52

Hi All,

Here is the link to the third of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there. More to come.

4th Auction Ends Thursday, 5/13/21

tomholm

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 17:48

Hi All,

Here is the link to the fifth of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there. Make sure you check out the stir plates .

5th Auction

Ends 6/2/21

mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

Mood: ASS

[*] posted on 25-5-2021 at 19:28

Is this something you have to pick up in person? Or can they be shipped?
LabDIRECT
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2021 at 01:36

Hi Tom - it sounds like there's quite a lot of overlap between our companies. I'd love to chat with you and see if anything makes sense for us to acquire. If you want to send me an email, it's richard.carboni at LabDirectLLC.com

6DF52D60-2501-4D3A-BEDF-ACDE0243E4A4.jpeg - 144kB
tomholm

[*] posted on 22-7-2021 at 18:34

Hi All,

Here is the link to the sixth of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there.

More equipment & glassware. About 200 items.
Items can be shipped.

6th Auction

Ends 7/28/21

tomholm

[*] posted on 28-10-2021 at 20:22

Hi All,

The auctions are starting up again! Here is the link to the seventh of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. Thanks so much for looking at what's there.

More equipment & glassware.
Items can be shipped.

7th Auction Over 300 items!

Ends 11/2/21

tomholm

[*] posted on 9-8-2022 at 07:48

Hi All,

Sorry for the late posting, but the auctions are starting up again! Here is the link to the 8th of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. I still have a lot of equipment and chemicals, so keep checking for the auctions.

If anyone is interested in the chemicals, I would like to sell them as one lot and you would probably need to drive to Minnesota to pick up with a trailer. Please pm me and I can provide a list.

Thanks so much for looking at what's there.

Auction

Items can be shipped.

8th Auction 250 items!

Ends 8/10/22

[Edited on 8-9-2022 by tomholm]

Suessy
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-8-2022 at 12:52

Could you provide a list of chemicals and quantities ?
Hi All,

Sorry for the late posting, but the auctions are starting up again! Here is the link to the 8th of the BME/Elemental Scientific Auctions. I still have a lot of equipment and chemicals, so keep checking for the auctions.

If anyone is interested in the chemicals, I would like to sell them as one lot and you would probably need to drive to Minnesota to pick up with a trailer. Please pm me and I can provide a list.

Auction

Items can be shipped.

8th Auction 250 items!

Ends 8/10/22

tomholm

[*] posted on 10-8-2022 at 11:28
Elemental Scientific Chemical Inventory

Hi All,

Attached is a spreadsheet of the remaining chemical inventory from Elemental Scientific. It's a pretty substantial list. I've also included an approximate retail price for the items, just to provide some context. For the most part, these prices were the prices from the Elemental store, but there are a few that were never sold through the store (custom orders, etc.) and those prices were obtained through research.

Additionally, the inventory is currently stored in 2 locations and in multiple sized containers. That is, some are in small quantity containers, while others are in bulk (5 - 50 lbs) containers. As a result, accurate quantities are difficult to maintain and actual quantities may vary slightly from spreadsheet.

As I've mentioned before, I'd like to sell in large lot quantities. I just don't have the time to handle a lot of small order requests and prepare chemical shipments. Therefore, onsite pick up is preferred. And again, if someone is interested in forming or adding on to an existing chemical sales business, we can discuss.

I will try to respond to questions and requests as quickly as possible.

Tom

Attachment: Chemical Inventory Summary 8-10-2022.xlsx (53kB)
This file has been downloaded 309 times

tomholm

[*] posted on 5-12-2022 at 07:46

Hi All,

The BME/Elemental Scientific auctions are starting up again! Here is the link to the current Auction which ends Thursday.

Auction

Items can be shipped.

175 items!

crow6283
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2022 at 12:40

Just want to say I bought some chemicals and equipment, worked out well and was very convenient.

Still sad to see BME closed though !
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top