Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: adjustable mini stove + additional questions
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 22-8-2020 at 14:36
adjustable mini stove + additional questions

1)What is a good ultralight stove? One that is adjustable, and inexpensive?
I've been looking at several options on eBay, I was thinking that propane would be the most obtainable, and that I should go with it. I'm wondering what ultralight stoves will hook up to those green 16 oz propane cylindersk?

2) What kinds of containers are liquid tight that I could safely store some muriatic acid in, besides soda bottles? I'm thinking of stuff around ... I dont know how many mL's

3) Is a wider flame, such as those from a kitchen stove, better for heating vessels? (Even heating?)

-- Perhaps I can use a blow torch and aim it at the bottom of a pot which holds my vessels, I can think of a few uses for a blow torch, and they are adjustable. Which leads me to my next question.

4) What is the best adjustable blow torch head, that fits onto 16 oz propane cylinders,

[Edited on 8/22/2020 by Yttrium2]
OldNubbins
Hazard to Others

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 22-8-2020 at 15:38

1) Little steel propane canisters defeat the purpose of "ultralight". Backpackers often use a liquid fuel stove - MSR is good.

2) Any container that you can put a liquid into, secure the cap, then invert without it leaking should suffice as long as the material is resistant to HCl.

3) Your answer is answered in your question

4) There really are no 'best' torches. They are pretty much all manufactured in the same facility in China with variations in labeling.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

wink.gif posted on 22-8-2020 at 21:19
On the assumption that you intend to do chemistry in a quiet remote location

Wind or just a light breeze dramatically reduces the heat available so some kind of wind shield will save fuel, time and frustration

As you can not guarantee that no one will discover you, a sight screen and a story may be required

You may also need protection from rain

You will also want an inconspicuous method of carrying all your stuff.
All of the above can be achieved by posing as a hiker, with a rucksack and tent.
With the additional benefits of actually enabling you to hike and camp,
and WORST CASE provide temporary Accommodation
Or if you work at small scale (test tube, 10/19 or 14/23 jointed glassware) you will have less volume and weight to carry, and a candle can provide sufficient heating power.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 04:52

You probably don't want an ultralight stove for doing chemistry. When I need a flame, I typically use a stove very similar to this one (though not this exact brand): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RD8KRWN

It's useful for doing chemistry outside, but it's also a good source of high temperatures indoors. They're cheap, so when it breaks down, as it inevitably will, I can just buy a new one.

sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 11:04
Good small stove

Coleman 502

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-8-2020 at 11:49

There are trail cookers made of aluminum that weight 500 grams and work with propane. I actually use one to heat my heating bath, or at least used before I got an induction heater.

The burner is immensely powerful compared to any lab hotplate, it easily gives out 2-3kW of heat, and mine being a high pressure one probably goes even up to 5kW. To keep 2 liters of CaCl2 bath at 130C I merely keep the valve open to just get a tail of flame, like 5% of the power. It is very noisy at full power so I never use it such, even when heating up the bath from cold start.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 24-8-2020 at 07:22

I like the flatter butane stoves but you have to use a fume hood indoors due to CO potential.
Alcohol burners are also possible, when used with ethanol the danger of CO is practically zero.

Go To Top