Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want to trade mine for a smaller distillation kit!
beergod
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2011 at 18:15
I want to trade mine for a smaller distillation kit!

Hey all, I recently bought a large distilling kit from UGT, after using it once or twice I realised I need a smaller kit! This is the kit I have. I am looking for a distillation kit with a 1liter and 500mL RBF, liebig condenser, both distillation adapters and a thermometer plug (all 19/22). Also due to the price differences I would love a 1L flexible heating mantle or if the kit included a foam lined plastic container.

My kit is in great shape, the only thing is that I dropped the 3 way distillation adapter, so in short you get:

1x 1L flat bottom flask 24/40
1x 2L flat bottom flask 24/40
1x 200m liebig condenser 24/40
1x thermometer adapter 24/40
1x bent vacuum adapter 24/40
4x keck clips 24/40
1x stand with base
2x clamps for stand

I will post pictures by the end of the week. Since I am a new member I will send the glassware first in the trade as long as you have been established here for a while. Thanks for looking! - beergod
Regolith
Hazard to Self

Mood: Glacial

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 01:33

Ummmm. you know that properly made modern ground glass is basically lego right ? You don't need to get a smaller kit just get more/different parts.

I have a great many rbf ranging from 250ml to 4L (many of them united glass, they do good work). Pelican case (aftermarket) with pick and pluck foam for storage. Outside of really large ground glass there isn't going to be a true functional difference between 19/22 and 24/40. There almost the same diameter the 40 being a much longer connection. With the exception being 24/40 is a more common size and thus easier to find parts for.

I suppose the better question is since I'm drawing an utter blank, what will the 19/22 setup do for you that the current one won't ? Do you have flasks that can't fit the 40mm depth ? You can get adapters to use 19/22 on 24/40 or pretty much anything.

Side note I just went digging on their site, all models have liebigs. I would get a graham condenser rather than a liebig. It's the case of having more and not needing it, theres no such thing as too much condensing in a distillation. Considering most 200mm grahams have more active cooling area than a 400mm liebig and some larger grahams have several feet of coiled tubing.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 02:34

Regolith is right!
Your kit is versatile - hold on to it and just replace the adapter.

beergod
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 04:37

Honestly im not too worried about the connection size, mostly just the flask size. Seems like there are better deals on some of the 19/22 glass on ebay.
Regolith
Hazard to Self

Mood: Glacial

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 15:49

Beergod, get yourself an 24/40 19/22 adapter for the flasks, it's going to be a much better idea long term. Having the bulk of your glassware in a common size with adapters will make replacements easier for when things like accidental drops happen...

When it comes to glassware you can pretty much pick and choose. Having the ability to use both means that you can, for the meanwhile, get that cheap glassware. When/if the good deals dry up then you still have a full 24/40 set and the ability to use either.

My googling can't find a good picture that shows the difference easily and the glassblowing bible is too big/posted on these boards already. A 24/40 set has longer joints by almost double. The longer joint allows for a better seal. Plus having used some tiny sets before I much prefer the larger connections, better through flow and I don't feel like I'm going to break off a neck all the time.

Great god damn! there are some amazing deals on ebay these days for glassware 14 piece 24/40 sets for 165 bucks.... (never bought Laboy before but handblown borosilicate with uniform wall thickness, it could be "care bears" brand, still sounds good.)

Yeah, just get a 10 dollar adapter and build a lego sized selection of glass.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 19:45

I got a 24/40 distillation kit from laboy for 100 usd flat. Everything came in one piece, I even asked for special changes to the kit(flask size to fit glas-col). No problems at all. The glass is nice and thick. They do flat shipping for $15. I'm not trying to advertise or something just sharing that they are a viable affordable source for a student low on cash.

The only problem I've had was with the O-ring on their thermometer adapter.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 23:26

I also had good experience with such a supplier, but also did have a problem with the O-ring on their thermometer adapter too. But definitely worth every penny in my mind.
beergod
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 10:41

I have to say that the only time I totally trusted my thermometer mount was when I used a 2 piece plastic one which held different sizes of o-rings and supported from the bottom and top. The kind that just compression fits the orings in the downward direction is just asking for trouble. Thanks for all the advice about retrofitting my current setup but I still want to go smaller. Less mechanical losses during distillation and it could pack into a small, protected kit, Im tired of babying my giant packing peanut filled box of glassware.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 10:45

Giant???
A 2L flask . . . ?

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 11:00

Quote: Originally posted by Bismuth  
I also had good experience with such a supplier, but also did have a problem with the O-ring on their thermometer adapter too. But definitely worth every penny in my mind.

Believe me that is the "consumable" portion of most every glassware unit that uses a thermometer. If it's not acid fumes, it would be hydrocarbons that eventually wear it out. You may consider buying a little bag of 12 for 2 USD. There IS a Teflon equivalent but it is not particularly worth the $ as it sticks on occasion. I have seen the use of Teflon "Plumber's Tape" in an emergency.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-6-2012 at 20:13

Quote: Originally posted by smaerd  
I got a 24/40 distillation kit from laboy for 100 usd flat. Everything came in one piece, I even asked for special changes to the kit(flask size to fit glas-col). No problems at all. The glass is nice and thick. They do flat shipping for $15. I'm not trying to advertise or something just sharing that they are a viable affordable source for a student low on cash.

The only problem I've had was with the O-ring on their thermometer adapter.
What happened with the O ring? They claim it's a Viton ring but that could be BS..
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 20:56

So I agree with the above on this one, Keep your set-up and get adapters. Very affordable solution to your "problem" and probably the same price as shipping your set to someone else

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top