Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: 2020 Secret Santa [tell everyone how it went]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 03:06

Shameless bump

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

wink.gif posted on 2-10-2020 at 03:29

I have indicated that I am happy to have someone outside of Aus. I stand by that, but please don't give me arkoma I just don't think I could live up to expectations, they seem very excited.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 10:02

I am very excited. Got some kangaroo jerky a few years back; you just can't find that stuff here in The States. Also a silver Kookaburra. (Thanks T!)

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 12:09

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
I am very excited. Got some kangaroo jerky a few years back; you just can't find that stuff here in The States. Also a silver Kookaburra. (Thanks T!)

Ha ha ha, also very excited, if I do get you I will make sure not to double up on the kookaburra.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 13:08

I am already very excited too, less so about the receiving though.
Hopefully I get someone who I can sent something nice and suitable making him happy :)
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 14:14

Kangaroo jerky? Nice.

Now I'm worried I'm going to let my person down......

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-10-2020 at 20:53

Signed up !

I said own country but... screw that. I'd like The World please :)

Edit: Oh and I can be Santa for more than one person if it helps.

[Edited on 6-10-2020 by Herr Haber]

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-10-2020 at 09:41

Signed up! I'll be happy to receive anything quirky and unique, chemistry related or not. Mainly I'm excited to share stuff that I have since I have access to all my lab stuff but no time to unpack it and use it. Oh and of course I'll have a Sciencemadness T-shirt sent out to my recipient as well...

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by Texium (zts16)]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 00:36

This is quite exciting really.....will have to "stalk" my recipients posts to see where their interests lie......knowing me, it will introduce me to a whole another level of stuff I never knew existed and now have to know everything about it! Drives my wife nuts!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-10-2020 at 15:46

Time for me to chime in.
This year is shaping up to be a good one: more participants than last year with still a few more to join in. And the enthusiasm seems to be really high.

Yes, nzlp, part of the fun is stalking to find out what people's interests are. But also, most members have been pretty explicit on what they like while simultaneously announcing that they really are not going to be fussy.

If you want to be included this year, you have just over a week to sign up. (Link is in the first post.)
I will send out details to participants by email (where possible) and also by U2U at the end of next weekend.

J.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 9-10-2020 at 12:23
Signup

Finally got the signup sheet to accept my
responses. Froze the last time I tried.
ALL SET !!! :D

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 20:25

Bump. I know there are a few more to sign in.
I will process these at the end of the weekend and send out your information.
:)

HoHoHo.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 01:43

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

This year is shaping up to be a good one: more participants than last year with still a few more to join in. And the enthusiasm seems to be really high.

EXCELLENT. This (SS) is one of the things, no maybe THE THING, that sets this place apart from any other internet forum I have ever been a part of. In the ephemeral world of the World Wide Web there is a whole bunch of shallow BS community (FaceBook "friends" for example). With some justified prejudice, I can safely state that Science Madness members are cut from high quality cloth, and SS is a wonderful manifestation of the genuine spirit of community amongst our members. First year participants, don't be intimidated/overwhelmed about your gifting "performance". Some of the coolest stuff I have gotten really doesn't have much intrinsic value, but is nonetheless priceless.

*edit* My FOURTH year!! w00t w00t!

[Edited on 10-15-2020 by arkoma]

B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 01:55

Plus one to this, last year was my first and I opted out because I thought I was new to the forum and would be intruding. I quickly (but too late) realised that was a mistake.
Don't do what B(a)P did, get on board!

Edit
my first year (on the forum)

[Edited on 15-10-2020 by B(a)P]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 15-10-2020 at 02:05

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I opted out because I thought I was new to the forum and would be intruding...................Don't do what B(a)P did, get on board!

Yes, don't be a (last years) B(a)P!

*edit* If I'm not careful, I might get handed the reins to the sleigh and Rudolph's feed bill next year.... LOL

*edit*
Quote:
If you are unsure about getting involved ths year, just do it. It does not take a lot of time or effort and it has always been a lot of fun. Because, let's face it – half the time your family doesn't get your hobby.

^^^ Half the time is being generous. Think my family has JUST figured out this really ain't a smoke screen for a clan drug lab.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 17-10-2020 at 15:30

Less than 24 hours left to sign up.
This is now officially the largest SS since I have been organising it. And I know of at least one more member who intends to get involved.

I will match everyone up and send out emails over the next day or two.

J.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2020 at 16:40

Thanks for organizing this. In this time of social distancing, doing something to feel socialable again is great.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 17-10-2020 at 23:42

I agree: and this is such a rare hobby that every chance to connect irl with someone else is extremely exciting.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 04:58

I'm in too, got in very late but keen as! Thanks for organising this j-sum1!
Hopefully it goes okay this year. Have heard people say that they've been denied sending packages to Aus at the moment because 'Aus isn't accepting parcels', but hopefully that doesn't keep being an issue, and 2020 doesn't get to mess with this cool Sciencemadness tradition
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 05:22

That guy ^^^^^^ is a Dang Good Santa.

Isn't this year Five? Fourth I've been a participant in, and as you all know from my posts I started getting excited about SS in, umm, early September I think.

For First year participants---If you have "performance anxiety", try not to worry. Remember, you get to be Santa for a rather rare form of nurd, The Chemistry Nurd. And AS a Chemistry Nurd yourself you have RARE insight into what makes us tick, unllike Mom, sis, wife, blah blah.

I mean, who but another Chemistry Nurd would think of 10gms of Magnesium turnings as a stocking stuffer? Or actually send/receive that one piece of glass you have been coveting? Not Grandma....

Gonna be a long wait until it gets here (<<little kid part of my brain telling me that) *sigh*

*edit* I gotta say, without our Aussie's, would be a much duller forum! You fellers make a significant chunk of whatever the heck it is that keeps this community the community that it is.

[Edited on 10-18-2020 by arkoma]

valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 05:44

Kinda regret finding out about this only in 2020, after 6 years of occasional lurking on SM. I'm always excited when it comes to casual trading and gifting chemistry stuff, and this even has a surprise factor.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 23:23

Emails and U2Us have been sent out. So, if there is an address typo in the one, you can probably find it in the other.
We are on our way!!

J.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 00:23

Thanks very much for organising! Let the post stalking begin! I hope you have set it up so that you are able to get involved j_sum1.
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 00:37

Woooow! Not sure if I'll be able to satisfy my santa-ee, but I'll do my best. J_sum, I suppose the packages are meant to be delivered around Christmas, yes? Or are we going by some of the European standards of Santa on 6th of December?

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by Antigua]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 02:05

Quote: Originally posted by Antigua  
Woooow! Not sure if I'll be able to satisfy my santa-ee, but I'll do my best. J_sum, I suppose the packages are meant to be delivered around Christmas, yes? Or are we going by some of the European standards of Santa on 6th of December?

[Edited on 20-10-2020 by Antigua]

You know, up to you.
Whatever you think will be received best.

I do know that whatever arkoma gets sent, it doesn't even make it from the letterbox to the front door before the wrapping gets torn off. He is like an excited little kid.

(And btw, with few exceptions, I can't remember who has whom. I tried to allocate pretty randomly.)
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top