Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should I mention amateur chemistry in college applications?
vyper47
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 09:33
Should I mention amateur chemistry in college applications?

Greetings,

I'm actually an Asian high schooler, applying to US, Canada, UK and Hong Kong colleges/unis this Fall. Obviously applying for chemistry majors/courses.

I'm in a dilemma here: should I mention my chemistry things I did at home? I mean, did nothing serious tbh. My most "complicated" synthesis was probably ethyl propionate (getting sulfuric acid is freakin hard in my country).

And for the context, high schoolers doing chemistry is not considered bad at all in my country. People around even praise us; we're perceived kinda like nerds doing science experiments

Well, should I mention that I have my own "mini chemistry lab" and the other stuffs in my application essays/statements?

Thanks!
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 09:35

I've noticed that whatever you can put in official format will work. Make hobby a profession of any kind, get any sort of certificate, course or whatever license and use it.
vyper47
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 10:12

Quote: Originally posted by Fyndium  
I've noticed that whatever you can put in official format will work. Make hobby a profession of any kind, get any sort of certificate, course or whatever license and use it.

I did some chemistry research with a national organization. Synthesized sodium metal and tried to use Nurdrage's method to make other metals (failed ).

However, the "home chemistry" thing was not part of any official project, just independent hobby. How should I write that (if I do)?
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 13:02

I always mention hobby chemistry in any resume, for academia or jobs. I even feature it in my Linkedin profile. I figure it distinguishes me from all the cattle of "working my ass off for a piece of paper that gets me a job" because it shows I actually want to be here.

It helps to turn it into a portfolio, e.g. starting a Youtube channel, or turning it into a small business (like me selling my fragrance compounds)

[Edited on 9-26-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 16:12

Sometimes applications for colleges etc will allow you to attach additional files. If you can take a picture of a setup you used in a clean, well-organized condition, it might give you a bit of panache.

One thing I did on my college applications was, with some things I wasn't sure of, to mention them on only some of the applications. However, I'm not sure if it worked, since I got in to all of the less-prestigious schools and none of the top tier :p

[Edited on 26-9-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2020 at 22:42

I mention my chemistry hobby in my class, I have talked with my O-Chem instructor about what I have done.

I think as long as you show competence in class when it comes to safety and practice, most instructors understand.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2020 at 00:43

If you do mention your home chemistry be prepared to explain your experiments in detail and the mechanism in detail ie the how and why and include safety and disposal of waste.

It will give you a chance to show your interest and how smart you are.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top