Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: This is mandatory stuff for (amateur) chemists (Safety)
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 01:03
This is mandatory stuff for (amateur) chemists (Safety)

I stumbled upon a parallel channel of NileRed, called NileBlue, of the same guy.

In this 30 min video he explains clearly about (home) lab safety and I watched it till the end.
Very useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftACSEJ6DZA

Mods / woelen: can you make a sticky of this ?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 02:48

Very nice, and I understand that on YouTube this is something nice, with his 400K subscribers.

But do we really need this as a sticky?
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 05:10

NileReds success on YT aside, when you watch a lot of his videos, you'll notice that he himself isn't what i personally would consider a good example of a safety oriented amateur chemist.

Even his general techniques are often very sloppy, culminating in his famously abysmal yields.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 05:37

He does pretend to be safety oriented... And yes, he indeed isn't a very good chemist.

Pffff, I really couldn't make it through the full 30 minutes, but I skipped through and literally everything he talks about I learned in high school.

[Edited on 27-9-2020 by Tsjerk]
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 06:16

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Pffff, I really couldn't make it through the full 30 minutes

I feel the same way about his recent content. A good example is the most recent upload, almost 30 minute monologue about drying epsom salts. I understand why he's doing it, a broader appeal to the everyman for more views/money, but it's also kind of sad when you compare it to his older content.

I'm happy that NurdRage sticks to more in depth videos, and I wish chemplayer would make a return. :(
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 06:39

Haha, I saw the 30 minute epic epsom salt drying... starting with 4 kg and breaking a two liter three neck in the process, real smooth.

Also not very safe handling there, he first shows the flask cracking and then lifts the flask, which weighs a couple kilo's now, by the neck that cracked...
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 06:47

Yeah or when he tries to refill the flask but instantly clogs up the funnel, real skills at work here, lol... couldn't watch for a second longer.

And he makes considerable amounts of money through Patreon, but then just monkeys around like he always does, that's really a new level of cringe.
ArbuzToWoda
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 06:54

I agree...
It's just a bit worrying to see his content now. I admire the complicated, but interesting projects like when he "went supercritical" or did some organic synthesis (raspberry ketone, azo dyes, TCPO even) were actually worth waiting for. Now, after a month or two both the patreon and the non-patreon gets a 27 minute video of guy just extracting stuff with dichloromethane. Like, okay, that is one of the most basic lab procedures. I have a strange feeling that he went downhill after getting a lot of patreon support and didn't need to find stuff OTC and just got disinterested in the things most amateur chemists drool while looking at. I really do hope he'll return to quality projects and these fuck-arounds are just a stepping stone.

[Edited on 27-9-2020 by ArbuzToWoda]
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 08:32

NileRed has a lot of great content, especially his older content. Imho he is successful because of his detailed explanations and quality video production. He's making at least 10K USD a month in revenue from Youtube, sponsors and Patreon which is a big chunk of change.

As much as we want him to do more hard-core chemistry videos, those won't appeal to a general audience so I doubt he'll go back to them. I watched the Epsom salts video, personally I wasn't a fan of it but we probably aren't his target audience anymore. I wish him the best as he has obviously worked very hard to get where he is.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 09:53

The labspace and investment in hardware + salaries of people now apparently working with him probably cost quite a bit.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 10:15

I would love to see actual, detailed synthesis runs on real and more complicated substances where one would do all the magic tricks or real production chemistry to get good yields of pure result.

But all the videos are about something that is entertaining on some aspect. It has to either blow up your kitchen or your mind to be interesting for the more simple population. Long gone are the times when it was fancy idea to throw pieces of sodium into water, get Mg ribbon for thermite, and then there were the energetics. Recrystallization is actually one of my favorites nowadays in the visual context.

But the beauty of safety is it's simplicity. The basics are learnt on elemental school and they carry on through the profession.

[Edited on 27-9-2020 by Fyndium]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 27-9-2020 at 17:33

I don't think we should be bashing his video's here. He's doing amateur chemistry, and that's great. There are not that many of us. If the content doesn't appeal to you... well, nobody is forcing you to watch it..

I don't think the video on safety is worth a sticky. It's not bad, but it's pretty basic. Compare it to the other stickied topics. Stickies should be reserved for truly exceptional threads IMHO.

[Edited on 28-9-2020 by phlogiston]

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
NaK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2020 at 05:44

It's the same thing that happened to The King Of Random, CollegeHumor or pretty much any other youtuber who grew their channel large enough. You can't expand at the same rate without compromising quality significantly as well, just look at McDonalds. That being said, things like the ferrofluid where quite interesting and actually the first time someone has documented the process in that detail. I think he just realized how much money he left on the table when making real chemistry videos.

[Edited on 28-9-2020 by NaK]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2020 at 06:18

Quote: Originally posted by NaK  
That being said, things like the ferrofluid where quite interesting and actually the first time someone has documented the process in that detail.
[Edited on 28-9-2020 by NaK]

On YT you mean I assume.

Attachment: elmore1938.pdf (153kB)
This file has been downloaded 351 times

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 28-9-2020 at 12:42

On the topic of Nile Red not being a good chemist, he used to make good videos, but now is pandering to the lowest common denominator. The most recent video is elementary school science. Just heating up magnesium sulfate heptahydrate and removing the water.

I like organic chemistry, but I don't think I'm a very good chemist. I like exploring what already exists. simple organic reactions are very gratifying to me. but I'm not so good at coming up with novel things. The thing is, even simple organic reactions are scarce on youtube. No one wants to watch a clear colorless liquid turn into another clear colorless liquid.

[Edited on 9-28-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 28-9-2020 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
I like organic chemistry, but I don't think I'm a very good chemist. I

Don't think that of me either, leave that to others to judge.
And never believe them!
Otherwise you'll end up like him ;)
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2020 at 13:34

Hold up, are we watching the same guy? The video before the drying epsom salt video was on making high temperature YBCO superconductors and two videos before that was making the best quality amateur aerogel I've seen. Find me another youtuber who can claim to have done the same, in a manner accessible to the public. I don't know about you but having a few "filler" videos with less advanced concepts for public viewing in between the more ambitious projects is totally fine, considering the Youtube algorithm and such. And his filler videos aren't thigns like "what will happen if I drop sodium into gasoline will it blow up". I honestly haven't seen much real chemistry being posted on this forum from some of you bashing his channel. I get a feeling that many of you are jelous of his success, which shouldn't be. After all, anyone promoting our hobby in a responsible manner is a good thing, even if it gets a little cringe at times.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-9-2020 at 14:59

Not being a fan of some popular youtuber and being jealous is not the same.
The question is not how good is NileRed but is something valuable in his video about safety. Also a lot of people me including probably think that written rules (as a text) are more appropriate for the forum like this. Doing and consuming video is completely different format which doesn't allow analyze any particular rule but suggests accepting or not accepting the whole work also with connection with the person who present it as a piece of art. And presenter in this case just shows some well-known rules.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 12-10-2020 at 08:31

I personally cringed more than I should have when I saw his video "My chromyl chloride cleanup was a disaster". I don't even know how you can can make such a mess and break everything, yet he always manages to break stuff and spill chemicals around. He's a nice guy and is very good at making videos, but man is he sloppy and messy.

Edit: I also cringe when he throws stuff around to be funny. I can understand he probably does that to be entertaining, as his fanbase is not what it used to be anymore. I don't enjoy his videos like I used to.

[Edited on 12-10-2020 by valeg96]

Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 20:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN9IUvrKi4

METHYL SALICYLATE IS NOT "MINT FLAVOR" YOU SIMPLETON! Why not call it "Root beer" flavor? Because methyl salicylate smells more like root beer than anything, but definitely not mint.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 21:43

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN9IUvrKi4

METHYL SALICYLATE IS NOT "MINT FLAVOR" YOU SIMPLETON! Why not call it "Root beer" flavor? Because methyl salicylate smells more like root beer than anything, but definitely not mint.

Isn't it commonly used as a mint flavouring in chewing gum ect? Or is it just that it is typically used in association with mint flavourings?
To be fair he does actually taste some, so it seems to me he is well placed to make the call on its flavour.
I am a long way from trusting my chemistry enough to ingest anything I produce ha ha ha ha. Not that I ever work with anything that anyone would consider edible.

Go To Top