Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where to get small quantities of acetylene
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 09:27
Where to get small quantities of acetylene

This is my first post here, so sorry if this isn't the right place to put this.

I'd like to get small quantities (maybe a few cubic feet) of acetylene for making acetylide salts. However, all the suppliers near me will only refill the large tanks used for oxy-acetylene torches. I also can't seem to get calcium carbide in small quantities. Is there any way I could get a small tank of it for reasonably inexpensively? Thanks
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:22

There are small bottles of acetylene, designated MC bottles, used by air conditioning equipment installers. They are used for the small torches these contractors use to install the copper tubing used in air conditioning systems. Try an air conditioning/refrigeration supply house. The MC bottle is about 10 cubic feet of acetylene. You can buy or rent these bottles. Good luck!

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:29

Ah, I didn't know it was possible to rent the tanks. Thanks!
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 10:40

Calcium carbide is getting hard to come by, less and less people making it.

Look for people who are into caves or climbing, they might point you in the right direction even though LEDs have taken acetylene lighting place.
I've seen some on eBay or Amazon sold to kill moles. It's overpriced but you dont seem to need more than a pound or half a pound.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 14:27

Just go to a welding supply store.
Morue
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 14:41

I think I saw small acetylene cylinders at Canadian Tire. It wasn't very expensive if I recall.

For some reasons, calcium carbide is quite expensive in Canada and I cannot find any seller on Ebay that will ship this material to Canada. Maybe due to some regulations ? Anyway, you can buy calcium carbide from https://prolabscientific.com/Calcium-Carbide.html It's 50$ for 500g of lab grade CaC2. It's a bit expensive, but that's the best I found. They're based in Montreal, so shipping costs should be manageable.

Hope this helps...
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 14:54

I hunted for a decent amount of time for CaC2 (though I am from Aus not Can). I couldn't find many online suppliers that would ship to Australia. I eventually found a UK seller on ebay that would ship it, but they seem to no longer be selling anything let alone CaC2. I see some on amazon, but it is $7 AU per 50 g. Not sure how much you are after.
You could also try Alphachem I think they ship to the general public. Not sure about prices though.

itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 15:03

Thanks for all the assistance everyone! I think I'm going to get a small tank off Kijiji (like Craigslist, but for Canada) and get it filled. It'll probably be way cheaper than using calcium carbide, and the acetylene will be purer than if it came from CaC2, at least the stuff meant for lamps. I'll probably be able to turn around and sell the mostly full tank, once I'm done for close to what I paid for it.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 10:25

I think I found CaC2 at good prices on Alibaba but you have to wait for shipping. There seems to be a lot of producers of it over there which kind of makes sense since China is heavily into industrial production & cheap state funded energy

Go To Top