Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lab Alley: A potential good USA source of non-exotic hazardous chemicals?
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-10-2020 at 23:58
Lab Alley: A potential good USA source of non-exotic hazardous chemicals?

I was browsing online for 2.5L of concentrated sulfuric acid as you do and I stumbled across a site called Lab Valley. I assumed it was another one of those chemical stores that only sell to buisnesses and institutions, but as I was about to click away I remembered the site had popped up at the start of COVID when I was looking for IPA for hand sanitizer and it had specifically advertised selling to DIY folks. In fact they have a page dedicated on starting a home lab! Looking around they seem to have an excellent stock of all the common solvents, acids, bases and inorganic chemicals, and for a pretty reasonable price.

A few notable ones:
2.5L Conc. Sulfuric acid $50
2.5L Conc. Nitric acid $59
2.5L Dichloromethane for $64
100g mercury for $46 (1lb for $140)
1gal 35% Hydrogen peroxide $60
500ml Hydrofluoric acid $70
5gal HPLC N-hexane $130
500ml Chloroform $44
125g Lead Nitrate $25

Sure you can probably find cheaper if you put in the time on sites like eBay, but when was the last time you saw mercury, hydroflouric acid, and chloroform all in the same place?

One of the best things is they have a large variety of size options on everything so you can just get what you need (30ml - 55gal). Hazmat shipping appears to be around $25 on some items I randomly added to cart.

Now I didn't actually buy anything, so I'm going to ask if anyone has had any experience with them please comment. If they are legit it could be one of the best places for us amateur chemists.

Link: https://www.laballey.com/
scienceboi
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 00:13

So far I bought some ethanol. That was on September 22. It shipped and I have tracking but I'm still waiting. I'm using it as a test run for other solvents and acids. I'll update once it comes in.

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider." -Francis Bacon
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2020 at 10:29

I've ordered from this place before and they were great to deal with and have very good prices if you need larger quantities (gallons or more) but still reasonable at liter quantities

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sulfuric
scienceboi
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 28-10-2020 at 11:48

The shipping took a while. I ordered it on September 22, it arrived on October 2. It is in fact ethanol, at least 95% but I had no real method to measure if it was actually anhydrous at the time. It was worth it to buy from them so far.

Laballey.com is a proficient vendor.

20201002_133850.jpg - 1.8MB

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider." -Francis Bacon

Go To Top