Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: For those distilling at home, how do you feed water into your condenser?
beta4
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-10-2020 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Here's a question; how many of us have thought ahead and bought the pump at the same time as buying the glassware rather than having the glassware arrive and then
going "shit now I need a pump"

This brings back memories of my first distillation ever.
When I bought a distillation apparatus I thought I didn't need a pump as I already had a small pump of the kind used for spraying water on the windshield in cars. Little did I know that those kind of pumps are really not designed for continuous operation, so when I actually ran my first distillation, the pump melted. It was at that time, in the middle of a nitric acid distillation that I thought "shit now I need a pump".
I've always tried to be safe in the lab, so I had set up a NaOH scrubber for NO2 gas, but I didn't yet know what a suckback trap was and why I needed one, and when I hastily turned off heating I totally forgot to disconnect the scrubber. It was at that time that the ten mL or so of nitric acid I made for decapping integrated circuits quickly reverted back to the soduim nitrare I started with. Fun times.

[Edited on 16-10-2020 by beta4]

[Edited on 16-10-2020 by beta4]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2020 at 04:40

Not visible in the picture but the water goes out to a air over water heat exchanger with a couple cooling fans.

In fall and winter is when I do most my chem as it is to cold out side to do any thing, so water temp is at or below 0c with that small exchanger running.

P8280348.JPG - 1.5MB
TriiodideFrog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-10-2020 at 04:28

Sometimes, it is possible to buy a water pump that is intended or small fountains. I used that as a replacement when my condenser pump broke and it works fine.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top