Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Lethal dose of mercuric nitrate
Crazy_Chemist
Harmless

Mood: Radioactive

[*] posted on 26-3-2022 at 21:45

I think my most lethal chemical is HgCl2, I read recently about o mortality at 1 mg/kg (oral, rat). Mayby my (metallic) thallium is as poisonous at that to. And the sodium azide is pretty toxic too. Thay all all marked vid H300 (Letal when swallowing).

Amateur chemist, just for fun!
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2022 at 22:16

I ordered some mercury switches so I can try to make some mercury fulminate. Mercury will probably be the single most toxic material I will be working with, and I won't be working with any large quantities at a time. Like no more than 0.5 grams of mercury at a time. I will only crack open the switches outdoors and I will keep a fan running near it to blow any fumes away. Same thing when turning the stuff into fulminate since that process also reacts violently and creates lots of nitrogen oxide. I had some bad issues with nitrogen dioxide (and I will using an air purifier mask. It isn't a gas mask, but it is better than nothing. I can direct it also to draw air from a different place than the extraction/reaction).
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 02:33

What do you mean by air purifying mask vs gas mask? What is your setup that allows you to draw air from some distance away from your reaction. Mercury on its own poses limited risk. The reaction products from the production of mercury fulminate is a different story as I am sure you are aware. Do report back with how you go.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
What do you mean by air purifying mask vs gas mask? What is your setup that allows you to draw air from some distance away from your reaction. Mercury on its own poses limited risk. The reaction products from the production of mercury fulminate is a different story as I am sure you are aware. Do report back with how you go.

I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-Electrical-Purifying-Resp...

The reason why I didn't buy a gas mask is most of them aren't rated for inorganic gasses like nitrogen dioxide, and amazon was also asking for professional credentials for their purchase.

What this allows is for air to be pumped in from elsewhere. The tubes aren't very long, but I can order extra tubes to make them longer, allowing me to draw clean air from farther away. The mask is not airtight though.

It's good to not that elemental mercury isn't super dangerous, but given the bad experiences I had in the past with some stuff, I will still take extra precautions.

I will definitely report on my mercury fulminate synthesis. I want to make the fulminate because I want to make my own gun primer mixtures.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 08:18
just a small idea

I have about a kilo of Hg for my diy barometer/manometer that I store in a thick glass jar, which is surrounded by wadding in a plastic tub in a tin can,
for small (<=1ml) experimental quantities
(eg from an accidentally broken thermometer)
I store Hg in disposable polyethylene pipettes which are easily heat sealed, and very durable.
I do very little Hg chemistry, partly due to the immediate toxicity risk,
but mostly due to waste handling problems.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 13-4-2022 at 13:31

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rechargeable-Electrical-Purifying-Resp...

The reason why I didn't buy a gas mask is most of them aren't rated for inorganic gasses like nitrogen dioxide, and amazon was also asking for professional credentials for their purchase.

What this allows is for air to be pumped in from elsewhere. The tubes aren't very long, but I can order extra tubes to make them longer, allowing me to draw clean air from farther away. The mask is not airtight though.

Sorry to provide this after you have already made your purchase, but do not rely too heavily on that. It is good that it has positive pressure but the mask material is not impervious to gases and as you say it will not provide a proper seal. In Australia we can purchase a proper air purifying respirator (APR) at the hardware shop, but no doubt you have explored that avenue where you are from. Ideally you would be looking for something like this if your budget allows.
Full face
Or this if you are on a tighter budget.
Half face

Both of these APR types, if made by a reputable supplier are suitable for the gases you mentioned, provided you purchase the correct cartridge/s. Full face is better because you get a better seal and your eyes and face are protected against splashes.

An ABEK cartridge will do you for most things in the home lab, including nitrogen dioxide, there are plenty of guides for this online that will tell you specifically what each cartridge type provides protection for.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top