Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TLC of amine hydrochloride salt
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 14:41
TLC of amine hydrochloride salt

Hi, I've got a small sample of 2-FMA hydrochloride that I'm running TLC analysis on. The purpose of this experiment is to practice my TLC skills since covid means I can't practice in lab at university.

I ran TLC on this using 100% EtOAc as the eluent and got two spots: one at Rf=0, and one at Rf=0.35.

With a molecule like 2-FMA, would you expect it to be sufficiently polar (since it's protonated) to stay at Rf=0? Or is it nonpolar enough what with the whole phenethyl group to be what I'm observing at Rf=0.35?

Now spotting these polar compounds is proving challenging. Is it good practice to deprotonate 2-FMA before spotting? If I were to do a microscale LLE, I would expect the deprotonated 2-FMA to migrate to the organic layer, and then I would expect it to be easier to separate. Yes?

Please check out my latest video: Synthesizing Nitrobenzene, and the last one:
Making Nitric Acid.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 14-10-2020 at 15:19

You’ll want to deprotonate it and run it with the free base. The HCl salt will be too polar. Then try 20% EtOAc in hexanes or pet ether with a drop of triethylamine added (if you have it) and see how that runs.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top