Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium methoxide from methanol, NaOH and Aluminium
Prepic
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 19-10-2020 at 13:24
Sodium methoxide from methanol, NaOH and Aluminium

Hey all,

I was wandering if it might be possible to make sodium methoxide by reacting sodium hydroxide, methanol and aluminium together.

Ideally, the water formed from the equilibrium reaction between sodium hydroxide and methanol will react with excess sodium hydroxide and aluminium to form sodium aluminate thereby shifting the equilibrium to favour sodium methoxide.

I already know that sodium methoxide can be made just with NaOH and methanol and that molecular sieves are a viable option too however I'd argue aluminium is more accessible and should irreversibly consume any water formed.
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 14:09

I think the reaction forming sodium aluminate would be much faster than the reaction forming sodium methoxide. Also the aluminum oxidation is extremely exothermic, and although it would be slower in methanol than in water, the boiling point of methanol is so low that I can't see this being easy to control.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 19-10-2020 at 14:43

Even easier would be the (as yet hypothetical) reaction between Na2CO3 and solutions of Mg(OMe)2 made by the dissolution of Mg in MeOH. Sodium carbonate is poorly soluble, but MgCO3 should be completely insoluble.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
njl
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 06:14

What about quicklime (CaO) and methanol to give a mixed alkoxide/hydroxide that could maybe disproportionate into insoluble Ca(OH)2 and Ca(OMe)2?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 06:52

A review of the chemistry is interesting. Here Al or Mg ribbons with NaOH can also create surface absorbed hydrogen atoms (so-called hydrogen embrittlement).

The formed •H atoms are apparently active on the metal surface even after removal from the NaOH/Metal reaction chamber and have been actually suggested for employment in the commercial leaching of ores. Source: my prior citation of a hydrometallurgy reference, to quote:

"One may assume that the •H radical functional behaves (per its seemingly reversible formation reaction: e- + H+ = •H ) as apparently a (e-,H+) pair acting on ions. For an example from 'Hydrometallurgy 2008: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium', p. 818, a commercial reductive leaching equation, to quote:

" PbS + 2 •H = Pb + H2S (5) " (see https://books.google.com/books?id=1etfSdk55SYC&pg=PA818&... )"

In the current context, possible reactions:

CH3OH (aq) <=> H+ + CH3O-

as methanol is more acidic than water. Further conceivable interactions with the Hydrogen atom radical (as a source of e- and H+):

CH3OH (aq) + e- (aq) <=> •H + CH3O-

•H + •H -> H2 (g)

In the presence of Sodium ions:

Na+ + CH3O- -> NaCH3O

With Mg metal, for example:

Mg -> Mg(2+) + 2 e-

H+ + e- = •H

This review may assist.
njl
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 09:42

That's very interesting. In what way does the hydrogen radical participate in the reaction though? Other than escaping as H2 gas.
Prepic
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 10:16

I decided to try out my reaction.

To a 250ml flat bottom flask I added 22.0 g of NaOH and 100 ml of methanol along with a stir bar. The flask warmed up significantly but didnt truly reach a reflux. After about 30 min, majority of the sodium hydroxide dissolve and I began adding aluminum.

First I added rolled aliminium foil, ~0.25g and some reaction was noticed albeit slow. I then tried adding portions of aluminium powder, not too vigorous and I successfully added all the aluminum powder over the course of about 20 min.

Feeling confident there wont be any runaway reaction, I am allowing the mixture to reflux gently.

Is there a easy method to test for the concentration of sodium methoxide which will differentiate from dissolved sodium hydroxide in methanol?
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2020 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
That's very interesting. In what way does the hydrogen radical participate in the reaction though? Other than escaping as H2 gas.

None at all.
AJKOER is noted for posting stuff about free radicals, whether his stuff is relevant (or even correct) or not.

Go To Top