Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Do not keep illegal drugs for personal use in your house, if you do chemistry as a hobby
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 17:43
Do not keep illegal drugs for personal use in your house, if you do chemistry as a hobby

it's hard to know what kind of "Evidence" is sufficient probable cause for a judge to sign a search warrant.

examples of things that can go wrong:
* buying glassware from china. Some asshole in customs checks your package, sees it's shipping to a residential address, concludes it's going to a meth lab, and reports the package to your local PD. Local PD shows this package to a judge, asshole judge considers it enough probable cause for a search warrant.

* buying red phosphorus from overseas. Many european suppliers will sell red phosphorus to individuals in the US. Red phosphorus is not illegal. It has legitimate uses. But again, some asshole in customs could report it, and some asshole judge could consider it probable cause of a search warrant.

in my opinion, those things alone shouldn't be enough probable cause for a warrant. They should look for other things. If someone is buying red P, AND a trash pull finds several packages of sudafed in the trash, that would definitely be reasonable suspicion for sure. Police could also pull equipment from the trash and test for methamphetamine residues. Detect the cat urine smell indicative of methamphetamine manufacture. Spy on the house and look for strangers frequently entering the house. They have investigative methods to find out if the glassware/red P is for clandestine purposes, and I hope a judge would require more evidence before signing a warrant.

I wish I could know what really happens, but I don't know what judges consider probable cause, and I have zero experience with the legal process.

My point is, if you're an amateur chemist, do not keep illegal drugs in your house. No cannabis, no LSD, no DMT. A police search could happen, and they'll find that stuff in your bedroom drawer and make the rest of your time on Earth a living hell.

Note that using illegal drugs does not require them always being inside your house.

[Edited on 10-27-2020 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2020 at 22:47

For people outside US, where judge signed warrant is not needed, the police can decide themselves that this guy's gonna get rolled.

Generally, if ordering something that might even remotely appear to be of interest for officials, it is a good idea to organize your stuff so that if they happen to show up, you look legit from the beginning.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 08:42

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  

Note that using illegal drugs does not require them always being inside your house.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

arkoma smiles and sneaks away

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 00:47

weedcomic.png - 417kB

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 09:51

I got a two year term in California for concentrated cannabis (1993). Was 30, never even did any county time. Go to the pen do not pass go..........then FOUR YEARS of parole.

Chino: Central, West, and East facilities.
CSP-LAC (Lancaster)
Tehachapi
Soledad
CMC
CRC
Tracy
Folsom
Chuckawalla
Centinela

Don't think I forgot any of CDC's fine resorts that California graciously entertained me in. Fuckheads.

War-On-Drugs. Nah. War-On-Poor-People.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 10:14

Yep, those who can afford it the least, get hurt the most.

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2020 at 12:33

I had to swear off all illegal drugs because I do chemistry at home. It's a trade off I had to make. Be a boring dude who just does drugs in his room, or be a mad scientist excitingly mixing together chemicals at home? I guess hobbies are better than drugs.

Most of the time, as long as you keep personal amounts of drugs in your bedroom, the police are not coming after you. It all changes when you need to order red phosphorus from overseas for alcohol bromination.

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 11:39

Huh, I combine those two.

You flushed 3g of DMT down the toilet Cou? :D
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 12:04

Just a few comments on this. I think it easy to think of police and judges as (malfunctioning?) robots who do mental calculus to weigh the odds of them finding potential drug labs. In reality, most of them are simply people trying to make decisions based on a limited amount of information. There are many factors that go into a decision to "investigate" a potential drug lab, but a surprising number of clandestine labs are brought to the attention of law enforcement by citizen repots and CI's. I forget the statistic off the top of my head, but it is a plurality. Some other factors which can contribute to increased suspicion is giving off the "appearance" of a clandestine lab. Factors are poor cleanliness (both inside and outside the lab), no dedicated lab space, poor working conditions (lighting and ventilation), working in an area where such labs are typically found (more impoverished areas), poor lab waste management (especial when it comes to odorous materials), buying precursor materials can be a contributing factor as well; however, warrants based on PCMs do not account for the same volume as they used to.

The most important thing is to look like a respectable lab an to not look like a clandestine lab. Also, I know this goes without saying but it is really inadvisable to have any drugs which you cannot legally possess in the area around your lab. This is especially true when you consider the consequences of constructive possession and civil forfeiture. Frankly, in today's age, I believe the consequences are great to risk your entire future for any amount of drugs. Remeber, a lab alone is really uninteresting to a prosecutor, drugs alone will be take it or leave it for a prosecutor, however a lab + drugs will be a huge notch in a belt for a prosecutor looking to put a dent the drug trade. Don't give a prosecutor such satisfaction.

TLDR: If you do not want to be treated like a meth cook do not behave like a meth cook.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 12:26

Nobody wants to be treated a meth cook, I want to be treated as a sophisticated drug chemist and I got that treatment last time :P
Including overregional newspaper reports :o
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 13:16

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Nobody wants to be treated a meth cook, I want to be treated as a sophisticated drug chemist and I got that treatment last time :P
Including overregional newspaper reports :o

Jesus what were you making?
Synthetic cannabanoids? LSD? Methadone?

karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 13:39

Synthetic cannabinoids was a large topic for me back then, yes.
But all sorts of designer drugs, mostly stimulants.
I had very stupid forensic chemists though, they haven't found out a fraction of what I was working on, despite having all my chemicals seized, including various intermediates... but well, I rather traded the possible but useless, even dangerous, "fame" against the lighter sentence :P
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 14:25

No shit.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 14:39

Cannabis hasn't been illegal for me to possess since 2014. I actually forget to think about it as illegal these days.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 14:42

You're in luck, atara ;)
And deathunter, what do you mean? Karlos is the last person that could be doubted in these matters :P
aromaticfanatic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 16:38

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Synthetic cannabinoids was a large topic for me back then, yes.
But all sorts of designer drugs, mostly stimulants.
I had very stupid forensic chemists though, they haven't found out a fraction of what I was working on, despite having all my chemicals seized, including various intermediates... but well, I rather traded the possible but useless, even dangerous, "fame" against the lighter sentence :P

Damn. Interesting. Did you distribute or consume yourself? I mean most people don't just make these for fun lol. Then again this is sciencemadness and we often tell laws to screw off and make stuff anyway just for the synthesis.

By the sounds of it you also have made MDMA. Interesting stuff.

[Edited on 28-11-2020 by aromaticfanatic]

NaK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 04:10

Quote: Originally posted by aromaticfanatic  
I mean most people don't just make these for fun lol.

You know the vespiary right? There are quite a few people who just make them for fun
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 11:11

I do make them for fun, and almost all of my friends do too.
And those who don't, know that I dislike them making money with this wonderful hobby because it shapes the public opinion on us all.
Like, thinking that most of us do that for money, which is not true.
I never sold anything and never would, I just like drugs, making and taking them.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 12:30

How did you get caught if you don't mind me asking?
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 13:44

I had a person that was supposed to function as receiving adress for my nitroethane orders, and because of the quantities(3x1l only!) they got suspicious.
I knew that seller of nitroethane would report to the cops for every purchase above 1l... but apparently, they also reported for quantities of 1l and not only above.
But the receiver had a clean house, yet still, when the cops showed up(without any warrant, just friendly asking) he spilled the beans because he got totally anxious :/
TL;DR he snitched on me....

That quantity didn't meant much, because a lot of it was wasted on experiments, and a lot of the produced P2NP went into fueling an unhealthy habit.
I got sentenced for 9,6g amphetamine freebase and less than 100mg of norpseudoephedrine freebase(the latter is controlled in my country, unlike norephedrine, of which was 4-5x as much present in that sample).
Both products were made with said nitroethane.
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 14:06

What was your sentance, if I could ask? And is it common for suppliers (at least in Europe) to report to authorities any amounts of the precursors?
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 20:52

That is totally strange....

Quote:

EU Category 1 Precursors

ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, norephedrine...

...The stereoisomeric forms of the substances listed in this Category not being cathine, whenever the existence of such forms is possible.

The salts of the substances listed in this Category whenever the existence of such salts is possible and not being the salts of cathine.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
delta109010
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 03:14

Quote: Originally posted by Antigua  
And is it common for suppliers (at least in Europe) to report to authorities any amounts of the precursors?

Suppliers are trying to stay out of trouble, so you can bet your sweet butt that they will report suspicious orders if they deem it necessary. Granted, this will also depend on your location. Some countries officials will expect much more from these companies than others.

I still remember vividly when in 2008 the german webshop Lippert Lehrmittel was raided by the police with questionable legal base, which subsequently lead to over 700 house searches for all kinds of drastic offenses, such as ordering terrible compounds like NaOH, HCl, glass beakers and other atrocities against humankind. Back then, delta was a little hatchling inerested in the energetic site of chemistry and he made some orders with Lippert. So he was shaking in his boots, but luckily he was not located in Germany, so he was not affected.

So, moral of the story, never believe to be completely save of temporary attention of law enforcement just because you didn't order anything super suspicious. Now, if you order actual precursors this risk will of course be exponentially elevated, should you not pose as a company.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 03:36

That's why you should buy from Chinese, they don't give a shit what will you use the stuff for :D.
They just get your money and you get their product labeled as some harmless thing.
chemship1978
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2020 at 04:04

And unluckily pay 200 USD for shipping...
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top