Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Colorimeters & spectroscopy for testing aquarium water chemistry
spinjector
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 08:58
Colorimeters & spectroscopy for testing aquarium water chemistry

Hello, I'd like to ask for some thoughts on a water testing project. I'm interested in some sort of equipment for regular testing of the composition of aquarium water.

I'm not a science pro, but a high-tech aquarium hobbyist. I'm familiar with colorimeters, but know little of the big-boy systems like mass spectrometers and NMR. I see used ones on Ebay, and thought one of these might work. But colorimeters are just fancy digital eyeballs that still require wet chemistry in the form of reagents, much like the test kits I already have. I'd like something less-wet, and more automatic, and thought one of the more advanced spectroscopy systems could work.

In summary, I'd like to test for levels of various elements, such as iron, manganese, boron, and so forth. But also ions such as sulfide, nitrite, nitrate, carbonate, etc.

Thoughts?
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 27-10-2020 at 15:06

Wet methods are way cheaper.
Even with decades of use.
There are specific probes for various ions using electrochemical methods.
Like a pH meter but for ions other than H+.
That could easily set you back several hundred for each ion species.
spinjector
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2020 at 06:37

Yes, there are many probes, and those small self-contained testers with their own lcd, battery, etc. If one browses online shopping & auction sites, those testers for pH and TDS are common and inexpensive.

To me, a colorimeter is simply a digital assistant. Yes it's more accurate than human eyes, but in the end it still needs wet chemistry, and both simply tell you what color a sample is.

I've been wanting to do some studies of aquarium conditions over time, under certain circumstances & content. Something to automate some of the testing would be nice.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 29-10-2020 at 10:39

Someone (don't remember the video) created a microfluidics tester.
It was automated. If you really want to play with it, a microfluidics design could do what you want.
It would be a fun project but is likely to take a lot of time.
You would need a number of color sensors (small optical arrays) or maybe optical fibers to carry the color to a single optical CCD to detect the colors.
You could do fill and flush cycles with the aquarium water and do checks every so many hours.
It would be really cool and there might even be a market for it.
Large aquarium owners would love it.

Go To Top