Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sulfur dioxide clathrate
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 10:58
Sulfur dioxide clathrate

I was not aware about existence of the clathrate SO2 * 5 3/4 H2O. I've just decided to prepare the solution of SO2 in water and put it into a freezer (in PE bottles) for later usage because I didn't want to prepare this solution every time. I expected that the frozen point of SO2 solution in water should be lower than that of the pure water - like for ammonia solution which is still liquid at -18C.
I checked the bottles next day and the solution was completely frozen but by very unusual way because the bottles were not deformed at all, and water always somehow deforms PE bottles in a freezer.
So, I've made experiment: I took 2 transparent bottles and put SO2 solution in the 1st bottle and the same volume of pure (demineralised) water in the 2nd bottle.
During freezing I observed formation of an opaque white substance, like crystals, they were formed on the bottom and on walls. When the solution was frozen I just compared the ice in 2 bottles. The first is not transparent.
Indeed, the formation of clathrate somehow relaxes the tension during the water freezing process, so the first bottle is also not deformed in this experiment (the 2nd bottle - with pure water - is still deformed slightly in the middle).

SO2_clathrate.jpg - 184kB
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 11:11

Solutes will depress the freezing point of water, but you're not trying to freeze the water; you're forming a clathrate. I believe these tend to form slightly above the freezing point of water.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 11:17

Yes, indeed, for SO2 clathrate the melting point is 7C.

I found some interesting information which proofs somehow my observation about the tension:
"Water crystallizes in the cubic system in clathrates, rather than in the hexagonal structure of normal ice" - from http://condor.wesleyan.edu/ethomas/ees123/clathrate.htm

Go To Top