Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Straight-chain acyl chlorides from TCCA and aldehyde
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 09:29
Straight-chain acyl chlorides from TCCA and aldehyde

Hi,

I heard from the grapevine that straight chain acyl chlorides like propionyl chloride can be produced using TCCA and the respective aldehyde in DCM. I haven't been able to find any writeups confirming this route though. Any thoughts?

Big if true.

Thanks

Please check out my latest video: Synthesizing Nitrobenzene, and the last one:
Making Nitric Acid.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 12:04

It's highly unlikely. The same reaction is well-known for benzoyl and alpha-quaternary chlorides (think pivaloyl). However the rxn side-product is HCl which catalyzes the alpha-chlorination of aldehydes, the aldol condensation, and the polymerization of aldol products. As such, the likely product of rxn of propanal + TCCA in DCM is a polymeric tar.

However, a similar rxn might be possible with e.g. Br2 in tetra due to the suppression of ionic rxn mechanisms. Extremely anhydrous conditions are essential but may not be sufficient.

[Edited on 9-11-2020 by clearly_not_atara]

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 00:45

Disappointing but interesting, thanks.

Please check out my latest video: Synthesizing Nitrobenzene, and the last one:
Making Nitric Acid.
Prepic
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 08:33

I've always planned to eventually get around to try and make acyl chlorides from the corresponding aldehyde as described in "Trichloroisocyanuric Acid: a Versatile and Efficient Chlorinating and Oxidizing Reagent"(linked below).

At least according to the article, aliphatic and aromatic aldehydes were successfully converted to their acyl chloride derivatives in DCM after several days at room temperature.
I may be speaking under correction but I believe the TCCA would react with the aldehyde to form isocyanuric acid and the acyl chloride derivative without releasing HCl.

So I hate to repeat the question, especially after receiving a response from a member far more educated than myself, but does this reaction really posses no hope?

Attachment: Trichloroisocyanuric Acid a Versatile and Efficient Chlorinating and Oxidizing Reagent .pdf (1.6MB)
This file has been downloaded 606 times

Go To Top