Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zinc + acid = weird smell
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2020 at 15:16
Zinc + acid = weird smell

Hi.

I did some reduction of molybdate in HCl using zinc. And I smelled something weird - similar to smell of H2S. Recently I smelled it when I reduced chrome alum in HCl, but I thought that it was H2S because of sulfate reduction. But when I reduced molybdate, there wasn't any sulfate present. I use the same zinc for reductions quite a long time and I never smell this "H2S" during reaction with HCl. It should be 99% zinc. Is there any common impurity in zinc which cause this smell?

[Edited on 14-11-2020 by Bedlasky]

If you are interested in aqueous inorganic chemistry look at https://colourchem.wordpress.com/main-page/

I can offer GC analysis of samples. Just U2U to me for more info.

"An old friend once told me something that gave me great comfort. Something he had read. He said that Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin never died. They simply became music." Dr. Robert Ford, Westworld
ArbuzToWoda
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-11-2020 at 15:32

It's not sulfates that cause this, but sulfides. They're commonly present as iron sulfide and zinc sulfide in the zinc powder. Maybe your molybdenum had such a contamination too, you don't need more than a couple hundred micrograms of it to cause such a smell, as our receptors are very sensible to hydrogen sulfide.
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 14-11-2020 at 21:51

Interestingly, this subject is discussed in this paper from 1861
https://sci-hub.do/10.2307/25057965

Some interesting observations (not all related to that paper) - it appears that the main impurity in Zinc is Lead. Also, most Zinc is smelted from Zinc Sulfide. Last, but not least - the odor of H2S can be detected at 130 parts per billion.

Go To Top