Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Neon yellow precipitate from electrical contacts
HVACrefinerguy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2020 at 14:04
Neon yellow precipitate from electrical contacts

Hey guys so I'm new here and I've never had good looks with forums maybe I just don't understand how to do searches or how they actually work but anyway I've processed electrical contacts many times in the past without incident this time I processed electrical contacts in nitric acid as usual but there is some sort of yellow neon green precipitate that had formed in the nitric acid I've never come across this before this is probably my 10 or 15th time recovering silver from electrical contacts also when I cemented the silver out of the contacts it appears there is some other sort of metal in there that is cementing out possibly Pd or Hg. I've included pictures of both any help would be greatly appreciated. Just an FYI I did a DMG test and it came up negative for palladium maybe I have bad DMG but the sponge definitely does not look like any sort of silver sponge I've ever encountered

PXL_20201120_205730920.jpg - 2.4MB16059098117251092296997590711136.jpg - 1.6MB16059098446533484882109417150718.jpg - 1.3MB
Fluorite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-11-2020 at 02:50

Cadmium sulfide? A yellow precipitate formed when hydrogen sulfide is passed though an acidified solutions.
Cadmium salts can be recognized by the brown incrustation which is formed when they are heated on charcoal in the oxidizing flame of the blowpipe
but I'm not sure nitric acid can oxidize sulfides to sulfates
Try adding hydrochloric acid to this and see if it dissolves but be careful cadmium is contact poison! Wear gloves and work outside and DON'T BREATHE THE MIST\SPRAY;

[Edited on 21-11-2020 by Fluorite]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2020 at 06:08

Is there any chloride present?
CuCl will form if there's excess copper. It is white,but gets "stained" by other materials in solution.
You should be able to collect some and wash it with clean water by decantation.
It's soluble in ammonia or dilute nitric acid.
The solution in ammonia is theoretically colourless but usually some oxidises and it is pale blue.
Exposure to air or the addition of peroxide rapidly converts it to the deep blue/ purple copper(II) ammonia complex.
HVACrefinerguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 17:12

Thanks fluorite I will try this I was thinking it was maybe W or Cd. one question though how could it be cadmium sulfate when only nitric acid was used to dissolve these electric contacts
HVACrefinerguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 17:15

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Is there any chloride present?
CuCl will form if there's excess copper. It is white,but gets "stained" by other materials in solution.
You should be able to collect some and wash it with clean water by decantation.
It's soluble in ammonia or dilute nitric acid.
The solution in ammonia is theoretically colourless but usually some oxidises and it is pale blue.
Exposure to air or the addition of peroxide rapidly converts it to the deep blue/ purple copper(II) ammonia complex.

No there are no chlorides present this is what was left in the bottom of the beaker dissolving the electrical contacts in only nitric acid I have refined electrical contacts many times and I'm usually left with the base but never this neon green before my procedure has not changed the only thing that changed was this precipitate
HVACrefinerguy
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 17:39

Quote: Originally posted by Fluorite  
Cadmium sulfide? A yellow precipitate formed when hydrogen sulfide is passed though an acidified solutions.
Cadmium salts can be recognized by the brown incrustation which is formed when they are heated on charcoal in the oxidizing flame of the blowpipe
but I'm not sure nitric acid can oxidize sulfides to sulfates
Try adding hydrochloric acid to this and see if it dissolves but be careful cadmium is contact poison! Wear gloves and work outside and DON'T BREATHE THE MIST\SPRAY;

[Edited on 21-11-2020 by Fluorite]

So I added some 32% hydrochloric acid to the contacts and the solution has turned yellow as well as there is now some dark blue coming from some of the contacts.

Any ideas or is there a procedure that I can use to try to determine what this substance is

PXL_20201205_013813565.jpg - 2.2MB
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 17-12-2020 at 22:01

Can you collect some in a very tiny metal spoon or glass spoon. Heat it in a flame and see if you can melt it. What is the approximate mp? Does any color change occur?

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 19-12-2020 at 10:16

I was following this thread a couple days ago but only passing interest really. Since then I have chipped the contacts out of 2 large double breaker's been sitting around for ages. Eight pads all in all about the size of a shirt button. They're not weighted or anything, just piled up waiting for some action when a guy gets a break. Though I did start looking for information on the possible content of the assumed silver contacts. This page has some information on different materials and why, which I thought was at least a little bit enlightening...

http://www.contactechnologies.com/Contact-Technologies-Mater...
"Silver tungsten is by far the most popular of the contact material families used in circuit breakers and other power switching devices".

Though they present a number of options, one stands out. You already assume W possibly and I think it's inline with the info they present. Would W be oxidized into solution as hydrogen peroxide does to it? I've two flasks of the latter from dissolving halogen work light filaments, and the color is similar to what your seeing. I'm not sure what would have cemented out with the silver though, not much time looking into this yet. Take a look at the link to see if any of their combos present themselves as possibilities for your observations. You may have just picked up a couple that have a new dopant/alloy content. Hope it helps.

IMG_20201219_100826966~2.jpg - 1.1MB IMG_20201219_101042315.jpg - 1.6MB

Included a pic of the dissolved W sol. (Not at all related to contacts mind you) I imagine the yellow ppt would be more compact from an oxidizing acid solution than from a long term low % peroxide sol. situation I've let marinate for better part of a year, maybe two... Who knows I blink and it's another season it seems these days.

Go To Top