Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calcium Hypochlorite to Perchlorate
phys_geek
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 04:55
Calcium Hypochlorite to Perchlorate

Hi everybody,

I know how to make calcium chlorate from hypochlorite and I have seen lots of threads about thermal decomposition of chlorates.

Does this also apply to calcium chlorate? If I filter the calcium chlorate from the chloride and hydroxide and then dry and heat to some degree (do not know how much though) will I be able to get Calcium perchlorate ?

It seems that this powder is not very popular and there is only one thread regarding it.

Thanks in advance.
Download
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 05:39

You would have to heat it to its decomposition temperature of 175C. I don't see why it shouldn't then turn into calcium chlorate.

I'm not sure it's possible to decompose it into perchlorate though as some of the things I've skimmed suggest otherwise. It's definitely possible with sodium perchlorate. It would perhaps be best once you have calcium chlorate to convert it to sodium or potassium chlorate.

I must caution you though: hot molten oxidisers are immensely hazardous. The temperature sodium chlorate converts to perchlorate is above 300C and it will make anything remotely flammable catch fire.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 15:42

chlorates can detonate under the right conditions - see "cheddite". They very powerful oxidizers. If I were to try melting Ca(ClO3)2 I'd want a strong shield and remote manipulators. Any remotely flammable contamination most likely cause deflagration if not detonation.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 15:59

Just keep reducing agents away from it.
cheddites consisted of a high proportion of inorganic chlorates mixed with nitroaromatics (e.g. nitrobenzene or dinitrotoluene) plus a little paraffin or castor oil as a moderant for the chlorate.

It is an explosive compound used as an explosive primer for shotgun cartridges. It contains 90% potassium chlorate, 7% paraffin, 3% petroleum jelly, and traces of carbon black.

[Edited on 24-11-2020 by symboom]

densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 10:33

Agreed, keeping organics away is essential. IIRC reading that KClO3 alone can detonate if sufficiently stimulated. It -does- take a pretty large stimulus - a long drop in an impact tester or a big blasting cap. Adding anything flammable is asking for trouble. Even a small deflagration could scatter molten Ca(NO3)2 far enough to cause significant excitement. :D So be careful!

Go To Top