Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Separation of chromium from vanadium
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 23-11-2020 at 22:25
Separation of chromium from vanadium

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I know work-related questions aren't allowed here. But I generally ask them anyway (and besides, I had a glass of very good wine after supper, which led to a couple more).

Most first-year chemistry courses have a qualitative analysis lab, where the student is given a solution containing three or four metal cations, and they need to separate them out and identify them. Wonderfully fun lab, because everyone loves to solve puzzles.

I run a shortened, limited version of this lab at my college, because we don't run two-week labs- they have to find all of their ions in a single lab period. I would like to add vanadium as a possible ion for this lab, but it seems that it would be very hard to separate it from chromium. Most of the tests for vanadium listed in Vogel wold be interfered with by chromium (this would be chromate once separated from the rest of the metals, so it would also react with all the reducing agents to give a blue/green solution, and it would also give precipitates with lead and barium).

Anyone have any good suggestions on separating the two metals? Or should I keep the lab simple for my students?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 01:59

Treadwell contains some methods of separation.
Qualitative (Volume I). Under "Vanadium". Method based on lead acetate.
Quantitative (Volume II). Under "Determination of Vanadium and Molibdenum in Steel". Modified Method of A.A. Blair.

[Edited on 24-11-2020 by teodor]

Go To Top