Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Styrene to Acetophenone
Dr. Who
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 13:55
Styrene to Acetophenone

Hey, there mad scientists. I've been looking to make some acetophenone as it's quite useful and fairly non-toxic. I had the idea to oxidize styrene to acetophenone with KMnO4. The problem is I'm concerned about over oxidation destroying the product. So two questions: Does this look like it would work? and is KMnO4 the best oxidizer for this?
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 16:31

Wouldn't you just get benzaldehyde or maybe some styrene oxide formed? How would you get acetophenone when there isn't a methyl to be coupled to the carbonyl carbon?
Dr. Who
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 21:10

Yup. Don't really know how I missed that. Upon further research, I'm pretty sure a Wacker oxidation would do the trick though.
Benignium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quasi-catatonic

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 21:52

I know this is not strictly relevant to your question, but in my opinion the most worthwhile apparent method is the dry distillation of calcium benzoate with a slight excess of calcium acetate. From 1.7 moles of calcium benzoate I managed to produce 0.9 moles of acetophenone which corresponds to a yield of 52.9%.

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2020 at 22:08

Dr. Who - the reaction between double bound and very cold water solution of KMnO4 produces diol (first step is addition of MnO4- to the double bound, so the molar ratio of reactants is 1:1, then some manganate produced can undergo disproportionation into MnO2 and permanganate). Also take in fact that a reactant could be very little soluble in water (e.g. your case = good stirring or emulsifier/emulsification required if you want to produce more than traces of the product). Higher temperature of the reaction and the double bound is split and from the styrene you'll end up with benzoic acid (when solution of KMnO4 is too much concentrated and reactant soluble in water the temperature of this exothermic reaction rises quickly so you are unable to sufficiently perform the reaction in cold = sometimes very diluted solution must be used).
Also KMnO4 could be on watched list in some countries and then hard to obtain there.
Why not to buy 600g of acetophenone on ebay for 50 US$ or 120g for 16 US$ ? Is it also on watched list in your country?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/600g-Acetophenone-98-FG/20311778420...
I understand well the beauty of chemistry in comparison with colorless buying and waiting for the delivery of the product.

[Edited on 25-11-2020 by Fery]

Dr. Who
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2020 at 08:15

I don't believe it's restricted so much as inadvisable to buy a bunch online. I just had a butt load of styrofoam kicking about from my last glassware shipment so I figured that turning it into styrene then acetophenone would be better than outright buying it. Looking at Beningium's post I'll probably try that. Benzoic acid isn't super cheap where I live, but it's within the realm of stuff a broke-ass student like me can afford. I might try and oxidize the styrene with ozone (which is basically free for me) to the benzoic acid I need.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2020 at 01:59

I was wondering don't they sell styrene as a glass fiber resin solvent there? I can buy it by the gallon for less than 10€ a liter. Conversion of polystyrene tends to be very messy and yields are not usually great.

If you need a bargain, I'd suggest checking the reagents section, there are the guys who get you everything. I've bought specialty reagents there whenever I need some.
Dr. Who
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2020 at 11:51

I haven't looked into that. I suppose I could, but the "fun" of the project was getting the styrene from polystyrene. I don't really mind the mess either.

Go To Top