Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thanksgiving
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

thumbup.gif posted on 26-11-2020 at 08:58
Thanksgiving

Although it has been a downer of a year, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
My wife and I ordered carryout turkey dinners from our favorite local restaurant, but they had a 4 meal minimum! So there is no doubt that we will have thanksgiving dinner leftovers!:D
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2020 at 11:36

I'll be Thankful when this mess is over, but for now I am just happy to be well and still employed.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-11-2020 at 11:37

Blessings abound, Soo much to be thankful for!!! Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm recovering from smoking a turkey last night. We didn't get it in there smoking untill midnight, threw it in the oven around 2:45/3am and cooked till 5:30am ... Hopefully we will have a nice mix of smokey flavor and fully cooked meat.

First time effort at this, not enough wood to keep smoking longer and it was nice and chilly. When it flares up, ya lose a bit of wood. Pretty hands on event. Sky was beautiful though, clear as a bell with a nice showing of stars and moon.

Anyhow, well wishes to all from me and my family. I hope you've struck a balance between safety and comfort. That you get to see family, even if it's only via computer or phone. That you can lift each other up a bit in the face of all the weirdness, and get to see smiles all around. Eat, drink and be merry.

The kids have been eyeing the pile of leaves we raked up, coffee calls and I'm going to go participate in the festivities.

I've three house guests, mother/father/brother in-laws. Everyone safety minded, pre-quarantined for this. So I'm anticipating no problems :) we'll see how that goes of course. Work had a meeting yesterday to inform everyone that after Thanksgiving we are going to wear mask even more vigilantly than before. No using 6' distance as a safety measure, on or off break time... Legit.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 17:23

Thawed the turkey it in a bathtub full of warm water overnight.

Steamed it in a closed roasting pan. Always works perfectly.

The skin is worthless of course. Just peel it off. The meat is always moist and delicious.

The bonus is, that cooking only takes about two hours. Yummm!

Now, I just have to figure out what to do, with a delicious, almost whole, 15lb turkey. Sandwiches?

I had no in-house guests.

Well, hey! I'm glad you guys are alive. Stay that way! Happy Thanksgiving!

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-11-2020 at 08:36

This was my first year cooking a whole Thanksgiving meal myself. I made a roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and cranberry sauce for myself and my girlfriend. Plenty of leftovers! Going to use the leftover chicken carcass and breast meat to make a batch of chicken noodle soup.

It was strange being away from family this year, but it really wasn’t bad. I can’t understand how many people can’t grasp the concept of a little sacrifice now so that we can all be together again next year. Bullheadedly insisting on carrying on the holidays as usual, potential sickness and death of your family members be damned, seems to be the antithesis of the spirit of the holiday. Then again, I suppose spreading deadly sickness to the vulnerable is pretty historically accurate to the first Thanksgiving...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top