Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:12

U2U sent on the dean stark trap an the cold finger condenser in case someone else wants/needs to know.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:15

hmmm so no foul in using a variac if one has a few laying about? that is convenient.
Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  

As you mentioned, this comment will also be for the upcoming heating mantle thread... I have seen 1000 watt and 2000watt standard rotary dimmers made by Leviton and Lutron at specialty electrical stores, could these be used for a standard mantle?

Robert

I use a standard dimmer which is rated at 700W. Heating mantles are purely resistive loads, exactly like light bulbs. My 2L mantle is 600W I think
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 2-2-2012 at 09:41

Do you mean a dimmer switch? Yes it will work.

A variac is something else. A variable autotransformer, a large heavy box with a huge dial on it. Variacs are actually the proper way to do it since you know what the voltage is.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 19:16

Here are a few more photos of some bottles I have. I keep trying to add this to my list, but a picture is worth a lot more sometimes. I have more than just what is shown, but I try to show what I have the most of. I have a lot of other items in smaller quantities.

Photo 1 - Plastic bottles 125, 500 and 1000 ml - (~4, 16, and 32 oz) - 125, 500 are Nalgene, polypropylene the 1000 ml are Fischer brand HDPE. They are 125 ml ($1), 500 ($2) and 1000 ($3), but I can do discounts for multiples of one or various sizes.

Photo 2 - Glass bottles- again, only a small sample -
125 ml Quarpak amber bottle with Teflon cap - used once for solvent only - $2 each - I only have a few left
Various wide mouth round glass bottles - $1 for smaller ones with black lid, $2 for Teflon lid ones. I have round and square bottles in several sizes, most will be same pricing, I only have a limited number of ones with teflon lids. I also have a few smaller Quarpak ones (~50 ml) which are new with Teflon lids.

Photo 3 - Fleaker - I have a few of these, willing to sell for $3 each - discount if your username is fleaker.

DSCN0195 plastic bottles.JPG - 29kB DSCN0197 glass bottles.JPG - 55kB DSCN0201 fleaker.JPG - 44kB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 19:22

Here are a few more photos of some more 24/40 glassware, more esoteric items. Most of these items would be between $15 and $30 each, send me a note for prices, or make me an offer.

Photo 1 - Dean Starks - all 24/40 - all Teflon stopcocks. Most are $15-25 - I have a more of these as well, keep finding them in boxes I am unpacking. No stopcock = $15, simple stopcock = $20, complex = $25

Photo 2 - dist. stuff #1 - There is still more, this is another box load...

Photo 3 - dist. stuff #2 -

I have a number of powder addition funnels as well, in both 24/40 and 14/20, one example is shown, I have a few others.

DSCN0204 dean stark.JPG - 64kB DSCN0213  24-40 1.JPG - 65kB DSCN0219 24-40 2.JPG - 54kB

[Edited on 5-2-2012 by Dr.Bob]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2012 at 20:07

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
hmmm so no foul in using a variac if one has a few laying about? that is convenient.

A variac is an excellent way to control a heating mantle. I have found that most of the time you will need 35-60 volts for most reflux systems of normal organic solvents. Ether may only take 10-30 V, DMF may take 80 V, but I rarely go above 80V.

Hope that helps, and I have posted more info elsewhere now.
modgod
Harmless

Mood: Pensive

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 14:00

Hey there Dr.Bob

Looking for the following, would be happy if you could let me know whats available.

1x250 Round bottom flask
1L

20cm Vigreux Column + Liebig Condensor

3 Way Adapter + Vaccum Adapter

Sep Funnels, 1l/2l Depending on shipping

Would also like an assortment of differing flask sizes and a few watchglasses.

If you could give me an idea of whats available and the cost with shipping to UK

Any help much appreciated, nice what you are doing for everyone here :)
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 18:39
Thanks Agian

Dr. Bob, I received my order today. As usual, I was more than pleased. The glassware looks almost brand new and that 14/20 kit is amazing. It is truly a work of art to look at. That 250ml 3 neck, The short path, maybe it's just me but DAMN 14/20 glass is sexy! And thank you again for throwing in the extras. Those clamps are more than I could ask for, and the tubing and jars will be put to good use promptly. Thanks for the pipette and culture trays/tubes. All those stir bars... Thank you.

A stupid question , if you don't mind. What is the little 14/20 U-turn looking piece?

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2012 at 05:36

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  

A stupid question , if you don't mind. What is the little 14/20 U-turn looking piece?

It is a drying tube, you put a plug of cotton or glass wool in, then some drying agent, then another plug of cotton or glass wool in it, and it will keep moisture out of the reaction. Useful when you don't have inert gas, but do have humidity.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 14-2-2012 at 08:07

Received 110$ of glass from Dr. Bob, very pleased! I got a little more than I asked for too :) I would certainly recommend.

BOLD

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2012 at 19:19

Someone asked me about a 47 mm membrane filter assembly a while back, I can't remember who, but I found some of the glassware for using them, so please let me know if you still want the filter assembly. Once I have taken care of the person who asked about it, I will post some photos of that and some other stuff.

I have been so busy lately that I have not been able to post much new stuff, but I still have a lot to get listed and take photos of. If you have inquired by u2u and not gotten an answer yet, please resend your note, I have gotten so many messages recently, that I have been hard pressed to answer all of them. I have had to put priority on filling existing orders, so I have not been able to answer every question quickly, so I apologize. But I really appreciate everyone's help in getting this stuff out of my garage.
MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 02:27

Bob, do you have a 35/20 ball socket to (14/20, 24/40, 19/22), or a 45/50 (male) to 24/40 (female) adapter? I'm also looking for a metal S35 joint clip.

[Edited on 2-20-2012 by MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2012 at 09:19

I will look through the box of adapters for the ball joint adapters, I know I have seen some with ball joints, not sure what the other side was. I also do have some bushing type adapters, I will look to see if any are 45/50 ro 24/40 ones. But I have LOTS of S35, and many other sized, metal joint clips. I have an entire box of those.
I also have a number of adjustable gas flow adapters for the tops of flash columns, in 24/40, spherical joints of several sizes, and even 29/49 I think. I am still working on getting lists or photos of the items, it has been a very busy month, so I have not gotten much done lately.

Bob
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-2-2012 at 14:57

Just received the addition funnel today. Looks good. Thanks for including the stopper for it.

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I will look through the box of adapters for the ball joint adapters, I know I have seen some with ball joints, not sure what the other side was. I also do have some bushing type adapters, I will look to see if any are 45/50 ro 24/40 ones. But I have LOTS of S35, and many other sized, metal joint clips. I have an entire box of those.
I also have a number of adjustable gas flow adapters for the tops of flash columns, in 24/40, spherical joints of several sizes, and even 29/49 I think. I am still working on getting lists or photos of the items, it has been a very busy month, so I have not gotten much done lately.

Bob

These parts are actually for my rotovap. The tapered end size for the ball joint adapter doesn't much matter, just as long as its something relatively common. Anything would be better than having to use Buchi's special flasks. The 45/50 adapter is also going to be used so I can plug in normal condensers instead of Buchi's exponentially overpriced ones.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 18:13

I have sold some of the Dean Stark Traps, but also found a few more. Here is what I have left now. Simple ones and glass stopcocks are $20, Teflon stopcocks are $25.

I also have a few flat bottom flasks in several sizes from 50 to 1000 ml. Pricing is the same as for rbfs.

Also some bump bulbs in several sizes, I have many more of these in every variation, size, and style. Most would be $20, larger ones a little more. Some may need cleaning. I also have smaller 14/20 ones that can be used for bulb to bulb distillations for less.

DSCN0258  Dean Stark 1.JPG - 104kB DSCN0293   Dean Stark 2.JPG - 85kB DSCN0291  flat bfs.JPG - 112kB DSCN0297  bumb bulbs.JPG - 158kB

[Edited on 26-2-2012 by Dr.Bob]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 18:18

Here are 4 more photos of 24/40 distillation apparatus. The 1st one includes short paths, short west condensers, powder addition funnels, drying tube, inlet adapters, and a simpole dist. head.

The 2nd one has straight columns, claisens, and more.

The 3rd one has a cow and bull, a bunch of inlets with stopcocks (I have more stopcocks, they will all come with one.)

The 4th one has dist heads, vacuum adapters, and more.

DSCN0247 dist 1.JPG - 106kB DSCN0262 dist 2.JPG - 107kB DSCN0270   dist3b.JPG - 83kB DSCN0279   dist 4b.JPG - 99kB

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2012 at 18:25

Lastly, here are some more things to look over.

1st is more dist stuff.

2nd is resin vessels and filtration vessels. I have a bunch of these, in many sizes, caps, outlets and frit porosities.

3rd is vials racks for scint. vials, 4 or 8 ml vials, HPLC vials, and eppendorf vials. I have a number of these in many formats. They would be cheap.

4th is test tube racks for 13, 16, and 25 mm test tubes. I have a lot of the 16 mm ones, in a variety of colors, some even new. I also have a few other types, even a few metal ones.

DSCN0284   dist 5.JPG - 116kB DSCN0246 resin vessels.JPG - 111kB DSCN0233 vial racks.JPG - 99kB DSCN0240 tt racks.JPG - 159kB

Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 02:09

Hello.

How much do you want for either of those still heads in that last row of pics?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 08:40

<table border="1"><tr><td><strong><em>Welcome to Bonerville. Population: 11123.</em></strong></td></tr></table>

Dr.Bob, do you happen to have the matching stopcock for the smaller of the two powder addition funnels in the following picture?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=238396&...

[Edited on 2/26/12 by bfesser]

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 13:08

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
<table border="1"><tr><td><strong><em>Welcome to Bonerville. Population: 11123.</em></strong></td></tr></table>

Dr.Bob, do you happen to have the matching stopcock for the smaller of the two powder addition funnels in the following picture?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=238396&...

[Edited on 2/26/12 by bfesser]

I am sure that I have it somewhere, it was still in the plastic bag. I also have several boxes of stopcocks and pieces, so I can find the right one. I have been selling those for $50, which is a bargain, considering they are mostly like new and they sell for $200 new.

Bob

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 13:16

Quote: Originally posted by MyNameIsUnnecessarilyLong  
Hello.

How much do you want for either of those still heads in that last row of pics?

I would ask $100 for any of the still heads or the 24/40 dist head with the Dean Stark traps. But people are welcome to make me an offer for them, and I will consider. Shipping is based on real costs, so that might add $10-20 in the US, less with other items.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 08:05

Message inbound.....

[Edited on 28-2-2012 by Funkerman23]
tastyphenome
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 11:17

thankyou very much. got my box today. very nice stuff, fair price, awesome customer care. i give my (worthless) endorsement.
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-2-2012 at 23:31

Ha. I just remembered that I forgot to post feedback.

Ordered a few hundred bucks worth of stuff from Dr. Bob awhile back. A jack got banged up in shipping and he offered to make it right on the spot, though it wound up not being necessary as a quick trip to the hardware store fixed it.

He was prompt and professional. I only wish he had a warehouse full of toys for sale.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 20:01

Here are some photos of some rotovap parts someone asked me about. This is a sample, I have a whole box of parts, and other pieces scattered about. The only real challenge is that most are not labelled or easy to identify so I cannot always tell which part is for which model number. But I am happy to try to help people who want parts. Inquire for prices or make an offer.

Also is a photo of TLC chambers of all types. Most would be $20, some might be a little more or less. I can provide more info on them if you have questions.

Bob

DSCN0311  rotovap.JPG - 98kB DSCN0323  TLC chambes.JPG - 77kB

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by Dr.Bob]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  30

Go To Top