Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
repo1030
Harmless

Mood: Cold!

[*] posted on 26-1-2014 at 17:45

I ordered a 24/40 distillation kit from Dr. Bob several days ago and it arrived yesterday (1-25-14).

Each piece was neatly wrapped in bubble wrap and carefully packed into the shipping box. Everything arrived in pristine condition and I couldn't be happier. In addition to the glassware, I also ordered 2 ring stands, 3 large 3-finger clamps, and 3 boss-heads (which I was not charged for). I also received free rubber gloves, plastic/glass vials, and a handful of disposable pipettes. All of which always come in handy during lab sessions.

All of this plus shipping...$160!

On top of all of this, his communication with me on any questions I had were answered in a timely manner.

I would definitely order from him again ( and I'm sure I will in the near future).

So if you're reading this thread and are hesitant on ordering from him, do yourself a favor and send him a message. You won't regret it.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Topped
26-1-2014 at 18:11
Dech92
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-1-2014 at 11:34

Hi Bob, if you find the time could you make a updated spread sheet?
quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 05:50
a thumbs up for bob

Reporting > $200 shipment from Dr. Bob. Each object individually bubble wrapped. Related lots individually boxed. Individual boxes double boxed into shipping box. Variety of distillation glass is exceptional. I have never seen such massive thick walled vacuum flasks before. 2L separation funnel is outstanding! Communicates well. Prices very reasonable. Useful extra things added to shipment. Surprise!
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 19:29

I am running out a few things, out of most 24/40 round bottom flasks, out of most beakers, and a few other things. I still have some grad cyls, filter flasks, Buchners and frit funnels, and lots of 14/2- glassware. I have almost gathered together another complete 14/20 kit, if anyone is interested in a 14/20 setup, I can make up one with almost everything, only missing larger flasks, but I have a few left up to 250ml. I can do a complete kit with a mix of 10-12 flasks (1-3 necks in 10-250 ml), distillation adapters, vacuum inlets, claisen adapter, condenser, gas inlets, stoppers, and more for $80 or up, depending on what you want. I still have lots of 24/40 adapters and fittings, just running out of larger rbfs. I also just found 2 more sealed packages of 100 2.5 x 7.5 cm TLC plates which I will sell for $50 plus postage (about $5-7 within the US, ask me for other countries). I also have found more silica gel cartridges, in several sizes and styles, if anyone has a use for them (free samples with any purchase). I will mention that postage rates just went up yet again, and they raised parcel post rates a fair bit yet again, so please be aware that almost every package will be a few dollars more now than before.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, I was sick for a little while, but doing better now.

Attachment: Glassware Inventory.xls (70kB)
This file has been downloaded 825 times

PS, if anyone is interested in some scratch and dent glassware, I have a large number of filter flasks, erlenmeyers, and other glassware that have minor chips and scratches, etching, or dirt that don't make them unusable, but do make them less ideal for sure. I am working on a list/sale of them, but for sure I have several 125, 250, and 500 ml filter flasks with chipped tubulations (the tube sticking out to attach the hose to - I think), etc. i am willing to sell them for just a little over the postage to ship them, especially if someone can fire polish the rough edges. I also have a couple of nice items that need some real glassblower repair if anyone knows a glassblower I would be happy to sell cheap.

[Edited on 2-2-2014 by Dr.Bob]
SigurdMunn
Harmless

thumbdown.gif posted on 4-2-2014 at 13:58
Dean and Stark Apparatus

Does anyone have a Dean and Stark apparatus (or something similar) they're trying to let go? Amazon etc. doesn't seem to have much of a selection under $125 and I don't really know where to look for cheap equipment. Gracias!
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 4-2-2014 at 14:08

Just received my second order from the good Dr. and couldn't be happier. Professionally wrapped, no breakages, extra little goodies here and there and good prices.

Thanks again Dr.!

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2014 at 04:53

Quote: Originally posted by SigurdMunn  
Does anyone have a Dean and Stark apparatus (or something similar) they're trying to let go? Amazon etc. doesn't seem to have much of a selection under $125 and I don't really know where to look for cheap equipment. Gracias!

I have them in 24/40 still, for $20 plus shipping. Will that work?

Bob
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 6-2-2014 at 10:39

I just got my third order from Dr. Bob. I swear, every time I order something, it's like Christmas again. I think there are more extras in here than the stuff I paid for. I couldn't be happier. Everything is, as always, extremely well packed.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 14:33

Here are a few more things i have found recently. There are some flat bottomed round boiling flasks. I have lots of the 24/40 250 ml ones ($4 each), a few 250 ml w/o joints and a few each of the 500 ml ones without joints. I have a few of the west condenser in 24/40 ($20 each), plus some various Liebig condensers ($20, $25, and $30 for baby, momma and papa). I also have some drying pistol pieces, but only the one shown, I am missing the other half ($10 ea or make me an offer). And lastly a liquid/liquid extractor in 24/40 ($40) shown alone or with the matching condenser ($25) or both for $60. I have better files I can email people if they send me an email address.

DSCN3609  flat bot flasks small.JPG - 50kB DSCN3615  west 24-40 condenser small.JPG - 99kB DSCN3619  liebig 24-40 cond small.JPG - 106kB DSCN3628  dryimg pistol small.JPG - 48kB DSCN3641 extractor with cond small.JPG - 55kB
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 02:19

I received my order from the famous Dr.Bob today. He said it would take 3-4 weeks got here in about 2.5! Everything is as he said, plus I got HEAPS of vials extra!! Excellent communication, glassware, prices and postage! Highly recommend!

Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-2-2014 at 02:48

Order arrived promptly and well packed. Pleasure doing business! If I happen to find myself with some spare money, this is definitely where I will go.

quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 17:25
another good shipment from dr. bob

At this point I hope everybody feels safe ordering from Dr.Bob, but I still wanted to say, ordering from Dr. Bob is a pleasure. He takes his stuff seriously, the packing is great, he does not quibble about silly bull shit, and he is very helpful with questions. Don't order any glass from e-bay if Dr. Bob can help you. You are just wasting time and money with e-bay if Dr. Bob can assist.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 20:23

Thanks to everyone, I have been busy lately. Recently I found some more 14/20 glassware and have tried to put together a couple more 14/20 kits, plus lots of extra pieces. Here are some photos below. The kits would each be $100, but I would be happy to add a few flasks or other small items to them at no additional cost. One has a lot of Kontes glass, the second one is mostly Ace glassware.

The coil condensers would add $20, and I have extra one Liebig with a longer bottom joint, but it would work with most flasks, just sticking in further, only $15. I have a few short paths left, normal ones are $60, vacuum jacketed ones are $100. Then a bunch of odd pieces, make me an offer or ask. These would be good pieces to add to a kit. Then a small sample of some multineck flasks (most listed in the spreadsheet) and some distillation heads, starting at $15 for the simple ones, and up. But I would offer some discounts on extras for any kit purchased as well. Same discounts for any purchase of multiple flasks. I have round, oval, peal, and other flasks, in 1, 2, and 3 neck versions from 25 to 250 ml size in 14/20.

DSCN3930  14-20 kit1 small.JPG - 75kBDSCN3937  14-20 kit 2  small.JPG - 78kBDSCN3905  coil condenser small.JPG - 66kBDSCN3911  14-20 short pathes small.JPG - 61kB DSCN3912  14-20 odds small.JPG - 50kB DSCN3922  14-20 multineck small.JPG - 55kB DSCN3902   14-20 dist heads small.JPG - 42kB

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by Dr.Bob]
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-2-2014 at 22:26

Any Australians/West coast looking to purchase glassware?

Hoping to find a glassware buddy to cut shipping costs
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-3-2014 at 19:32

My package arrived last Saturday, two days after I paid for it! Normally I don't give feedback but this is well deserved. Everything as described, nothing broken, and a bunch of extra goodies that made opening the box a delightful experience. Definitely going to buy from Dr. Bob again.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 19:17

I found some more Pipettors recently, most are Gilson Pipetman type, but a few others as well, in 2, 10, 20, 100, 200, and 1000 ul size. I have been asking $50 each, but if anyone wants a set of 3 I can sell any three for $100 plus a few tips, and six (one of each size) for $200, plus the fancy rotating rack and a good supply of tips. If you want other brands, or other types, please let me know, and I can see what I have. I am working on photos of more of them, but this is what the Gilsons look like.

Gilson pipetman 2 - 1000 small.JPG - 50kB
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 23-3-2014 at 02:07

Did you find any 10/18 non-Hg thermometers too ? :P But seriously anyone know where to get cheap 10/18 non-Hg thermometers?

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2014 at 18:14

I have not found any more non-Hg therms recently. I wish I had some, but there are places that sell them, some of which are listed in here, if you search around. They come on Ebay sometimes, just have to watch it every week. And the Chinese ship them anywhere, as they don't seem to understand postal regs, and no one seems to stop them.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 08:45

Here is another set of pipettors from Eppendorf, 10, 20, 100, 200, and 1000 ul. It does come with a lovely stand (not pictured). I'll do the entire set for $175 and throw in some sample tips as well.

I do have some other various loose pipettors from 2 - 1000 ul, which I would sell for $50 each, Gilson, Eppendorf, Rainin, Finn, etc

DSCN4050  Eppendorf 5 pipettor set small.JPG - 57kB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 09:32

I finally found another box of larger flasks. First priority on these goes to people who had asked for a particular size first when I was out, but if they don't get back to me, then I will sell them to the first person who asks.

First is a 3L 24/40 one neck rbf, in good condition, no scratches or chips, asking $20 for it.

Next is a 3L 3 neck, center is 34/45 joint, both sides are 24/40, asking $40 for it.

Then a 2L 3 neck with center 29/42, both sides are 24/40 joints, asking $30 for it.

Then I have a couple Pyrex brand 2L rbfs, 24/40 one neck, in good condition, asking $15 for each. (no photo)

Next, a 300 ml 3 neck, center is 24/40 sides are 19/29 joints, asking $10. (no photo but I can provide one)

Lastly, I have three 250 ml equilibrated addition funnels left now that are complete with stopcocks and working well. They are $60 each, if interested, please tell me which one you prefer. I do also have some non-equilibrated ones if anyone is interested, for $30.

DSCN4073   3L 3 neck 34-24.JPG - 64kB DSCN4077   3L one neck 24-40 small.JPG - 59kB DSCN4088 2000 ml 3 neck 294-24 small.JPG - 66kB DSCN4068  250 add funnels  small.JPG - 104kB
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 13:20

Dr.Bob could you possibly gather some stuff for a distillation kit then see if i want it?
Thanks

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 04:49

How long do you think you'll be doing this? In a year to a year and a half, I'll have more leeway with my parents to buying things online that aren't on specific sites (eg. Amazon, E-bay). Just curious.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 11:38

Unfortunately, I am hopeful to be done with most of this within the next year or so. My goal is to sell the stuff left from my friends business, although there seem to be a growing number of businesses going out in the US, so I have seen a lot of surplus stuff around the area. But if you want something specific, I can always list it on Ebay, and I have a small number of things on Amazon (they only allow most sellers to list things that have a UPC code or are already in their system, so that is not many science things). Ebay just adds more fees, so it is only cost effective on smaller or cheaper items, unless you like higher prices. They add 15% fees on top of the paypal and other fees, and that is on the item AND the postage, so that drives the cost up to over 20% on most items.
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 20:42

Placed a $300 order with Dr. Bob, which has been an absolute pleasure thusfar. Will let everyone the good news when it comes into my possession.
mmmmpie
Harmless

Mood: Always Happy

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 22:39

Have you still got a 14/20 kit available and what sort of postage costs would it be to the UK?
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  30

Go To Top