Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-9-2016 at 18:39

I have matched some Soxhlet extractors with the correct condensers finally, so I have a few of each. They are all used, all have 24/40 bottom joints, some have some minor chips or the top outlet of the condenser is broken, or other minor issues, but all should work fine. I am asking about 1/4 of the new price, that seems fair for some wear. If anyone wants two sizes, I will drop $10 of the pair. Let me know what state you are in and I can calculate the postage as well. They are fragile, so while they are light, they need to be packed well, and the box may be a bit larger than normal for my packing. No rbfs are included, I am almost complete out of 24/40 rbfs, except for a few 250 ml 3 necks, and a few other odd ones.

small - ~50 ml volume, condenser joint is 34/45 - asking $60
med - ~85 ml volume, condenser joint is 45/50 - asking $70
large - ~200 ml volume, condenser joint is 55/50 - asking $80

They are a variety of brands, some mixed, but like these in general: http://chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-1369

I also have lots of 29/42 stuff, I have found a few boxes of it, so I have almost everything imaginable, except Soxhlets, in 29/42. Plus some 14/20 still left as well, down to one last kit, might have enough to scrap together one more, but running out of certain parts.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 05:53

I just completed yet another glassware order from Dr. Bob, which is my fourth or fifth I think. As always, I'm greatly satisfied with everything. The price is amazing, everything was packaged extremely well, and Bob always throws in a few extra goodies :) A real pleasure to deal with. Thanks again!
William Chase Henson
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 18:11

What's left?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 07:29

The most recent list link is below, I will try to post an updated spreadsheet with more stuff soon. But the spreadsheet does not include the items I have listed specifically in the last few pages of posts. I have one pretty complete 14/22 kit left ($100, $120 with a thermometer), enough to put together one decent 24/40 kit ($100, $120 with a thermometer), enough for several 29/42 kits, should anyone have a desire to do larger scale work, those can include the basics but I also still have many addition funnels, condenser types Dean Starks, and other extras for 29/42. I also have more Sep funnels in 60 ml to 2L left now, and the sohxlets listed above now, still need to compile those into the list.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667&...
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 08:57

What would you include in a full 29/42 kit? I don't remember what all would be in it and I can't seem to find the list. If it helps I know I would be interested in at least one 500ml or 1 liter funnel and a few thermometer and gas inlet adapters. It seems like a lot of my messages are getting lost as of late so if I didn't respond Please know that was not intentional..Many thanks for your dedication!

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 07:23

I can make a 29/42 setup for nearly any budget, I have found several boxes of it, and they include nearly everything. But the basic kit includes a few flasks 250 - 1000 ml(most of the 29/42 rbfs are multinecks, but I have a few smaller one necks, 250 and 500 ml), distillation head, claisen, vacuum adapters, gas inlets, stoppers, therm adapter, condenser, Dean Stark, and other bits for $100, then I can add refux condensers, addition funnels, short path dist head, and many other 29/42 accessories, all for less than that their equivalent 24/40 item if you buy the kit. I have enough 29/42 items to make at least 3 or 4 kits if people are interested. This is ideal for larger scale work, from 250 ml up to 5 L. I have a few 1, 2, 3, and 5 L rbfs in 29/42, most are 3 necks, some are 4, some have larger center joints.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 31-10-2016 at 15:25

I was having a hard time using the Excel file, because of how many rows corresponded to stuff that wasn't available. So, what I did was select the "Approximate Quantity Available" column, then select a zero value in that column, then sort by that value. It should hide all the rows that don't have zero in that column. Then I just selected them all, deleted them, and then there was a little icon in the "# available" column that let me undo the sort, which put them in their original order, minus the deleted ones.

New file where EVERY LINE corresponds to something available:

Attachment: drbobglassware.xls (60kB)
This file has been downloaded 776 times

Edit: to be clear, this is just for the latest version of the list. It won't be accurate next time Dr.Bob posts a new version. I mostly made it so that I wouldn't constantly be seeing things I want, then seeing "0 available" next to them.

[Edited on 10/31/16 by Melgar]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 08:37

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. I wanted to just make a quick post to address a few questions I get a lot. I will be very busy with a few projects the next month or so, but then after mid-Jan, I will make an effort to update my inventory and perhaps have a few sales to help clear out more old stuff. I am losing one of my storage spaces shortly (one of the many projects is to clear it out soon) so I trying to consolidate the remaining glassware and re-inventory it once it is closer to being mostly in one or two spaces.

A few comments, I try to ship the best of whatever I have of things first. So if I had 10 of an item, I ship the best of the 10 first, then the next best items, etc. Once I am down to only a few of something I once had a lot of, the chances are it will be more used, more likely scratched, and maybe chipped or have a broken drop tube (eg, sep funnels). I try to describe that if there are issues, but keep in mind that almost all of this glassware is used unless described as new. Sometimes I sell new as used, but most is used. It will have scratches, may be less than analytically clean, and might have pencil marks (tares are common), labels, or other marks.

And glassware with normal enclosed bubbles, small scratches and chips is fine to use for most uses (not good for diazomethane distillations however, I admit). I have been using very used looking glassware for over 30 years, almost every single piece of glassware I had in undergrad, graduate and the last 5 years is at least a decade old, used every day, and very scratched. It is fine for rotovap, distillations, reactions, etc.

I would not use really scratched stuff for explosives, pressure reactions, hydrogenations, diazomethane reactions, or extremely valuable reactions, but normal scratches are not a problem for everyday chemistry. Some people have thought old rbfs were dangerous under vacuum, but even a high vacuum is only 1 atmosphere, no matter how good your pump is, so that is not a problem for any good quality glass.

Only CRACKS are bad, I do not use or ship any cracked glassware, but even that can be used for some functions. I used a cracked grad. cylinder for years without a problem for simple solvents, but don't send items with cracks to people except as broken items to repair. I do replace or refund things that break in the mail, but I don't wish to take refunds on used glassware only because it had a scratch or bubble in it, almost any used glassware will have some scratches in it, mostly due to stir-bars or washing brushes. So if you want brand new glassware, please buy it brand new, not used. Mine is used, but good or better, except as noted.

[Edited on 29-11-2016 by Dr.Bob]
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-12-2016 at 14:41

Just received my shipment from Dr.Bob. Merry Christmas to me! Very well packed and easy transaction. I look forward to more purchases in the future.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 13:36

Hi Bob,

Would you happen to have any dewars that are looking for a home?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2017 at 19:13

I have lots of dewar flasks, been meaning to make a list of them, but basically I have every size and shape possible, about 3 boxes of them, from small to large, short and tall, etc.

Just let me know what type you want. I have been cleaning out one of my storage spaces that is no longer available, so I have been backed up a bit, but I hope to be done in the next two weeks, then I can get back to updating the inventory. Some of the stuff I just moved I have not ever sorted through, so I might have some new things, sadly, from the sound of at least one box, also some broken things...

Once I have cleaned out the storage space, I will try to get back to people who might be waiting on me, I apologize for the delays, but I had to moved a couple hundred boxes of books, glassware, and other stuff, and it has been a pain, but almost done. Hope to post some lists of books for adoption soon as well. Lots of old science books.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2017 at 18:13

Another note, I have been cleaning out some stuff due to my moves, and have gathered 4 working Corning stirring hotplates, model PC-320, all used but they all stir and heat well. I would ask $100 plus $20 shipping costs with the US, they are all 110V models, so not much good elsewhere, plus the shipping is insane overseas for these. If anyone wanted 2, or two nearby people want to save money, I might be able to fit 2 in a large flat rate box, I would have to check. I have a few other older ones I am still working on as well. See link below for what a PC-320 looks like:

http://sibgene.com/index.php/corning-pc-320-stirrer-hotplate...
Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 08:13

I'm looking for some large (~4 L) dewars to replace some casualties in my lab. Have anything that large?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 13:12

I have a Pope brand, 14.5" tall, 6" ID, 7"OD (38cm tall, ~15 cm ID, ~18 cm OD). That should be about 3-4 liters in volume. I have two more of them that look very similar to it also.

I would ask $100 each, or do a better deal for two or three, plus only the real shipping costs. Comparable ones are on Ebay from $110-225 plus shipping, which varies a lot from $11-$70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pope-Cylindrical-Glass-Aluminum-Dewa...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pope-8642-4300ml-Dewar-Shielded-Vacu...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemglass-Dewar-Flask-4300mL-Capacit...

I also have a variety of smaller ones, here is a photo of some of them:

DSCN1823 short dewars.JPG - 510kB DSCN1814  Tall Dewars small.JPG - 62kB

[Edited on 9-1-2017 by Dr.Bob]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 14:44

Oh, by the way, I just want to say a public "thank you" to Dr. Bob for putting so much time and care into my order, even though my list of what I wanted was more of a stream of consciousness than a list. (ie, "oh, and I'll take four of those 50 mL RBFs, since they're so cheap. oh wait, I actually have way too many of those, and don't use them very much, never mind. can I get 50 mL erlenmeyers instead, since that way they're less easy to tip over?") He also threw in these amber glass chemical-resistant bottles that have this rubberized stuff on them so that if you put a bunch of them in a bag, they barely make any noise or bang together. Sort of like a built-in cover like they put on wine bottles when you buy several of them from a liquor store. Perfect for storing your expired nitroglycerin! (kidding! kidding!)

I didn't get to use most of it until just recently, but I really love having a 14/20 set. Several times I've dropped stuff on the floor that would have broken for sure if it was in 24/40. I got a 500 mL Erlenmeyer and a 250 mL RBF off eBay for solvent distillations, but considering most of the stuff I do is experimental anyway, better to have a glassware set that can be used to synthesize just enough product to do a few tests on.
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 07:09

Yet another positive reference for Dr.Bob. Glassware arrived quickly, was cheap and is good quality.

Would you happen to perhaps have a quartz boiling flask (for distilling sulfuric acid drain cleaner)?

[Edited on 31-1-2017 by Elemental Phosphorus]
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 07:50

I've been looking for a quartz distillation flask or a quartz retort. If anyone has one for sale, I'd definitely like to know about it.

[Edited on 31-1-2017 by JJay]

Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 08:14

I hadn't heard of Alfa Quartz, sounds like a good place. Maybe, if distilling sulfuric acid is all you need to do, then I have seen it done in a normal flask. I do not like to take chances with glassware though. High-silicon stainless steel is supposedly resistant to attack by sulfuric acid. Specific grades have been designed for it.
http://www.stainless-steel-world.net/pdf/sswsup1005_duplex_r...
Here's a link to a pdf showing grades of steel usable.

A ceramic high fired clay retort, if made from good pure clay, can also resist strong acids, high temperatures, and is made of silica and alumina, so should be able to resist chemical like silica or alumina.

This is not the thread to discuss sulfuric acid distillation, so I'll stop, but I saw a post of yours saying you wanted a quartz flask for sulfuric acid distillation.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 08:32

Let's be serious here... I'm not going to use a steel container to prepare lab-grade sulfuric acid. But I'd like to use quartz if anyone has suitable equipment looking for a home.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 10:40

I don't have any quartz glassware (as far as I know), the only company that I know that does much quartz work now is Prism Research Glass, which is just down the street, use to use them a lot. Also found M5 Scientific Glassblowing looking in Google, they are also in NC, but I am not familiar with them.

links to both:

www.prismresearchglass.com/
www.m5glassblowing.com/

I am still trying to recover from moving much of my storage space contents recently, so I will be slow to update the list for a while, but I do still have lots of stuff. Hopefully by Mar or April I will have neatened things up some more and can find more items to list. I am also trying to get the final pile of books sorted to give away, I should be ready to ship some of them soon, as that will help clear more space here.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 11:08

Alfa Quartz out of Donghai has some quartz retorts that look great (they look great online anyway), but they have some hard-driving negotiators who want a lot of money, so I'm not sure what the price is.

Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 11:57

Technical Glass Products, a company from Ohio, sells many fused quartz items. A 100ml 24/40 flask is $86, 250ml is $127, and a 500ml is $130. Not cheap by any means, but it would be nearly impossible to find any quartz RBF's for cheap.

Edit: Bonus that these flasks are not custom, you can just order online.

[Edited on 1/31/2017 by Geocachmaster]
Elemental Phosphorus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 15:53

I get the reluctance to use steel, but those quartz flasks are really not cheap.
Nile Red seemed to do fine with standard borosilicate glass.
Quartz Scientific sells 24/40 quartz boiling flasks in up to 500ml.
One of their 500ml flasks sells for $138.
You mention Alfa as willing to negotiate and their negotiators wanting a lot of money, but they will ask for much more than they expect to get and through some negotiation you should be able to bring price down considerably.
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2017 at 16:29

Quote: Originally posted by Elemental Phosphorus  
I get the reluctance to use steel, but those quartz flasks are really not cheap.
Nile Red seemed to do fine with standard borosilicate glass.
Quartz Scientific sells 24/40 quartz boiling flasks in up to 500ml.
One of their 500ml flasks sells for $138.
You mention Alfa as willing to negotiate and their negotiators wanting a lot of money, but they will ask for much more than they expect to get and through some negotiation you should be able to bring price down considerably.

I didn't say they were willing to negotiate. Anyway, let's try to keep things on topic.

Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-2-2017 at 06:51

Another glowing review for Bob! We ordered several large dewars and NMR tubes. Everything was very well packed and came quickly. Bob is a pleasure to work with and is always very generous with his prices. I don't imagine that anyone needs convincing that Bob is the guy to order from if you are in need of glassware, but if the last 19 pages of great reviews aren't enough, here's one more. Thanks Bob!
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  30

Go To Top