Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2017 at 11:59

I will again be traveling for a week plus shortly, so please be patient with me if you email me. I'll try to read emails, but I won't be able to ship for a little while. I will try to get an updated inventory once I return, once the summer calms down.
alchemew
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-8-2017 at 01:14

I'm looking for a decent heating mantle for a round bottom 2000ml, preferably with a magnetic stirrer. Does anyone have an extra with which they'd part?
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 26-8-2017 at 00:40

Do you have any vacuum or high voltage equipment? Or any hydrogen tanks?
Thanks.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2017 at 15:48

No gas cylinders or high voltage equipment. I do still have some vacuum traps, dewars, and other vacuum glassware. Sorry. I am finally back from travel for a while again, so I will work on answering emails and trying to take inventory of what is left.
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 02:04

Dr.Bob, do you have any microcaps from drummond scientific?
TheNerdyFarmer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 14:55

Hello. Does any one have a borosilicate glass tube with an inner diameter of around 20mm and a length of around 250-300mm that they are willing to sell? I just a plain Jane glass tube. I am using it as a reaction tube. I would like tfo purchase it for a reasonable price. U2U me.

Edit: I may not need, one anymore. A little more research has lead me elsewhere. :D

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by TheNerdyFarmer]

[Edited on 9-1-2018 by TheNerdyFarmer]
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 15:57

I have something like that, but it's about a foot long. It's also in storage and I can't guarantee I'll be able to find it very quickly. Eventually, yes though.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 05:21

I do have some scraps of glass tubing scattered round, and there are some about 20 mm in diam, so let me know if you still need any. Main cost would be shipping, depending on where you are.
highpower48
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 08:32

Looking for a heating mantle for 500ml RB flask with stirring and a hotplate stirrer and small centrifuge. All I ask is they be in good working order and be USA wirered.

Also a binocular Microscope with good lens and stage, Dont care about age.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 19:30

I'll try to consolidate my heating mantles soon, I don;t have many left, but there are a few left scattered in some other boxes, so I'll look out for any 500 ml ones.

I do have a few stirring hotplates left, mostly older Corning ones, most would be $100 plus $15 for shipping in the US. I am also trying see how many of what models.

I have been busy filling a bunch of orders, so backed up a bit, but trying to keep up, so thanks for people's patience.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 19:45

Also, while looking for stuff for people I have found the following boxes of items, many of which I was out of, so if you asked about these, I have them back now:

a box of sep funnels, mostly with PTFE stopcocks w/stoppers - 250 ml-$30, 1L-$40

a box of filter flasks, mostly 500 ml ($7) but a few each of other sizes up to 2L -

a box of various 24/40 jointed erlenmeyer flasks, mostly 500 ml ($5 ea, stoppers are $3), but also 125, 250, and others - I have been out of these for a while, and I know a few people wanted some

I have found a few more beakers in sizes up to 1L, plus lots of new 250 ml ones still

Lots of 14/20 addition funnels 10, 25, and 50/60 ml, Dean Starks, and 3 necks...

a whole box of 47 mm membrane filter apparatus, extra reservoirs and more.

I still have a bunch of amber Boston rounds in 60 and 120 ml with PTFE lined caps, plus some wider mouth 60 ml bottles for solids with PTFE lined caps. - Most are $2 each other than the plastic coated ones, which are brand new and $3 each.

I have entire boxes of the following: plastic tubes (30 ml centrifuge and many others), various pipette tips, 96 well type plates, and eppendorf repeater thingees.

I am attaching the most recent inventory of what I am fairly sure of having. Many items say 0 for quantity, but I am still finding some things, so I leave them there for simplicity, but if you really need something, let me know and I can look for it in the remaining unsorted boxes. I also have many things that just are hard to describe or are custom made, like still heads, distillation heads, various adapters, fittings, flash columns, and so much more. But the number of boxes is finally shrinking, trying to finish sorting the last pile of boxes from storage.

[Edited on 13-1-2018 by Dr.Bob]

Attachment: Glassware Inventory Dec 2017.xls (83kB)
This file has been downloaded 619 times

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 19:51

14/20 and anything size 10 put me down for
PrussianBlue
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2018 at 14:47
New to the Forum

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Also, while looking for stuff for people I have found the following boxes of items, many of which I was out of, so if you asked about these, I have them back now:

a box of sep funnels, mostly with PTFE stopcocks w/stoppers - 250 ml-$30, 1L-$40

a box of filter flasks, mostly 500 ml ($7) but a few each of other sizes up to 2L -

a box of various 24/40 jointed erlenmeyer flasks, mostly 500 ml ($5 ea, stoppers are $3), but also 125, 250, and others - I have been out of these for a while, and I know a few people wanted some

I have found a few more beakers in sizes up to 1L, plus lots of new 250 ml ones still

Lots of 14/20 addition funnels 10, 25, and 50/60 ml, Dean Starks, and 3 necks...

a whole box of 47 mm membrane filter apparatus, extra reservoirs and more.

I still have a bunch of amber Boston rounds in 60 and 120 ml with PTFE lined caps, plus some wider mouth 60 ml bottles for solids with PTFE lined caps. - Most are $2 each other than the plastic coated ones, which are brand new and $3 each.

I have entire boxes of the following: plastic tubes (30 ml centrifuge and many others), various pipette tips, 96 well type plates, and eppendorf repeater thingees.

I am attaching the most recent inventory of what I am fairly sure of having. Many items say 0 for quantity, but I am still finding some things, so I leave them there for simplicity, but if you really need something, let me know and I can look for it in the remaining unsorted boxes. I also have many things that just are hard to describe or are custom made, like still heads, distillation heads, various adapters, fittings, flash columns, and so much more. But the number of boxes is finally shrinking, trying to finish sorting the last pile of boxes from storage.

[Edited on 13-1-2018 by Dr.Bob]

I'm new to the forum and I'm not very familiar with your sales methods, but how much does shipping generally run? I'm a chemistry undergraduate and I'm looking to begin an amateur lab to supplement my current organic lab.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2018 at 15:22

For my stuff, it ships from NC, USA. Rather than sell one item at a time on Ebay or Amazon (which I also do some of), I have a larger list of items and kits which allow people to buy a bunch of stuff for one actual shipping cost. Even with combined shipping rules, it is hard to do that on Ebay, nearly impossible on Amazon.

The actual costs depend on weight, package size, and distance. For small packages in the eastern US, the postage is about $4-10, and $5-15 to the west coast. Medium packages are $10-12 east coast, $16-30 west coast, and then the largest packages can be $15-30 east coast and up to $50 on the west coast. In some cases UPS or FedEx is cheaper, I try to pick the cheapest way. Midwest is between the east and west prices.

For example, I just shipped a 16 pound large box to the northeast for about $18, two very large packages to TX for about $30 each (Fed Ex ground was cheaper than USPS here), and a medium box (4-5 pounds) to Cal for about $17. Shipping to international places can be done, but prices have gone up drastically lately, only practical now for smaller items, such as a 14/22 kit, which weighed about 3 pound, to the UK was about $36.

I try to keep a running inventory in the posted spreadsheet, but it is not comprehensive or always perfect, so most people send me a list of stuff that is either on the list along with things not on the list as well, I try to check which I have and then estimate the shipping based on the weight and their location. I do most deals via Paypal, just like an Ebay sale, but avoiding Ebay saves about 15% in fees that are reflected in the prices. I also know a few others doing this now, so I can sometimes find things that I don't have for still good prices. For instance I was able to get some Qorpak bottles from another person here in a trade/barter deal, so I have lots of them which I can sell for a fraction of their normal price.

Currently I have finished making up a few more distillation kits, containing the basics, much like a college organic chem kit. I have one or two each of them in 14/20, 24/40, and 29/42, each has a variety of flasks, dist. head, claisen, vacuum adapter, inlets, therm adapters, condenser (kits come standard with a liebig, but I have a variety of other types available), and other small pieces. Each can be customized with addition funnels, Dean Stark trap, other condensers, and more. Every kit might be slightly different, but unlike most places, I can modify it to your needs easily. I also have lots of complex flasks, like multineck rbfs available in all three sizes.
PrussianBlue
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-1-2018 at 18:40

Roughly speaking, how much would a 14/20 simple distillation kit run me if shipped to the midwest?

[Edited on 1-21-2018 by PrussianBlue]
Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-1-2018 at 09:49

Bob, do you happen to have any blast shields for sale?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-1-2018 at 05:48

Quote: Originally posted by PrussianBlue  
Roughly speaking, how much would a 14/20 simple distillation kit run me if shipped to the midwest?

A "standard" 14/20 kit includes the basics, about 10 various flasks from 25-250 ml (incl a few two or three neck ones), dist head, claisen, vacuum adapter, condenser, stoppers, inlets, and a few other items for $100. That is typical of what I compile. It typically has rbfs from 25-250 ml, in one and three necks, plus a few pears and recovery type flasks, but I can customize the size, complexity and flask types. Shipping is normally about $10-15 to the east coast, $12-17 to midwest, and about $14-20 to west coast.

Options which you can add include addition funnel ($15-25), Dean stark trap ($15-25), coil/reflux type condenser (~$20), short path condenser ($40-50), a cow type fraction collector, and a few other items. There are many photos of 14/20 extra bits on about the 3rd or 4th page of this thread.

I also have now found enough glassware to make a few more kits in 24/40 and 29/42, those can span from 50 ml up to 5L in volume of flasks. But practically speaking, I would use 14/20 for 5 to 250 ml range, 24/40 for 50 or 100 ml up to 1 to 3 L, and 29/42 only if you want to do mostly > 250 or 500 ml work, like setting up a solvent still, larger reactions, or making hooch.

PS, I'll look for any blast shields, I don't recall any, but might be able to find one with one of the local people I swap stuff with. They tend to be very heavy to ship. You can make a decent one with a 2 x 6, cut a slot into it, and glue a sheet of 1/4" plexiglass, or still better, polycarbonate, into it. The curved ones are nicer, but pricy.

[Edited on 26-1-2018 by Dr.Bob]
sansos
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 21:34

Id like a 24/40 dean-stark with a ptfe stopcock please
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2018 at 18:56

Quote: Originally posted by sansos  
Id like a 24/40 dean-stark with a ptfe stopcock please

Sorry, I don't know if I have any left of those left in 24/40, I do have them in 14/20 and 29/42 for sure, but I will look for any 24/40 ones remaining.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 15-2-2018 at 01:53

Got any Vycor or quartz glass flasks with ground joints- Ideally, 24/40? Doesn't have to be very large, 500ml would be plenty big enough.

Any other Vycor bits?

[Edited on 15-2-2018 by Bert]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2018 at 18:57

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
Got any Vycor or quartz glass flasks with ground joints- Ideally, 24/40? Doesn't have to be very large, 500ml would be plenty big enough. Any other Vycor bits?

No, no quartz or vycor. Sorry. Keep a lookout on Ebay as well, I see things on there every once in a while.

The only place I know that does quartz work is close to me, however, Prism research glass is one of the few. Good luck.

www.prismresearchglass.com
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 23-2-2018 at 07:50

I'll need to get the cash together first so if its cool can you quote me some prices?

I've already got a still setup and some RB's all in 24/29 so I'd preferably like to keep all the same joints but will need adaptors otherwise.

vigreux column,
pressure eq. dropping funnel,
1L 2 and 3 neck RBF,
beakers, 3x 250ml, 2x 500ml,
measuring cylinders, 10ml, 100ml,

delivery would be to the UK so can you speculate on delivery too plz.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2018 at 11:33

Almost all of my glassware is US, so most of my stuff in that size is 24/40, I have most of those items in 24/40, the prices are all in the spreadsheet I post occasionally, based on the size for most items. I attached a newer copy.

The main issue is that shipping to the UK from the UK has gone up a huge amount lately, due to the way international postage rates are calculated in the US (based on some treaty from centuries ago), which makes the US subsidize imports, like from China, by raising rates on exports, like to the UK. The summery is that a 4 pound box costs about $45-50 to the UK now, so beakers and large flasks are very expensive to ship, due to their weight. I am happy to do it, but the costs will be quite steep, which causes most people to stay within Europe. Most Pyrex glassware and all Duran is made in Europe, so it SHOULD be cheaper there than here, but I imagine it is not, in reality.

Attachment: Glassware Inventory Dec 2017.xls (83kB)
This file has been downloaded 597 times

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 17:57

I am trying to clean out some old stuff. If anyone is looking for clamps, bossheads and other hardware I have a limited time offer. I have a bunch of older clamps (test tube, 3 prong, etc), most are old, dirty, corroded, some are not quite right, some have a frozen thumbscrew, and/or some are just cheap ones. I have enough to easily fill a medium flat rate box, or to almost fill a large one, I could fill any remaining space with bottles or vials. I would ask $45 for the medium and $60 for the large, including shipping in the US. That is about the cost of buying one new clamp from Fisher or 3 or 4 used clamps. I promise at least one decent clamp of each size will be there, plus lots more. This is a limited time offer, once it sells, it will be gone until I gather enough for another box. This is an ideal solution for a handy person with limited cash.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 06:46

Several people have asked me about hot plates lately, so I did an inventory of what is left, and tested them all..

Here is a list of my current hot/stir plates. The Corning ones below (PC models) all have a nominal size of 6 x 8", which has a usable 5" x 7" area on top.

PC-420 - clean - stirs and heats fine - $140
PC-420 - dirty - stirs and heats fine - $120
PC-420 - dirty - heats fine - not stirring - $100
PC-410 - clean - stirrer only - $100
PC-320 - clean - stirs and heats fine - $120
Cimarec - little dirty - heats and stir well - $150 - digital temp readout works - stirrer is a little noisy - nominal size is 8" x 8", usable is 7" by 7" top. The model number is 8P131325. (For a look at similar versions, see https://www.nist.gov/laboratories/tools-instruments/thermo-s... or
https://assets.fishersci.com/TFS-Assets/LED/product-images/F... )

I think I still also have a PC-320 that the stirring on is not working currently, but it heats fine, it would be $80

The shipping on most would be $15 within the US via flat rate priority mail medium box. If you want more than one or are buying other things, I can combine the shipping to cut that cost.

To see an example photo of a PC-420, look at
http://www.nist.gov/laboratories/tools-instruments/corning-p...

Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  30

Go To Top