Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  30
Author: Subject: Science equipment looking for a home
drzdude
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 18:14

Just wanted to put a good word in for Dr. Bob!
Got a couple things from him and he threw in some freebies and wrapped each glass piece with bubble wrap. Super professional packagaing and nothing broke! Very satisfied!:)
Daxotron
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 18:56

Hi, I am really new, like literally registered to post this post. Besides that point, what do you think would be a good kit for a casual home lab? Mostly dealing with small organic reactions and distillations if anything, but I don't have any glassware so I'm short on that regards. I live in the East Coast so shipment shouldn't be an issue, but if I were to set up an order from you, what do you think would be the best combination of simple glassware for me?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-3-2018 at 21:04

I have been meaning to post this for some time now. Thank you Dr. Bob for the 14/20 distillation kit w/ extras. Very well packed as always, awesome price like always, thank you thank you.

IMAG4797.jpg - 989kB

Very pleased customer, yet again.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 10:14

Dr.Bob:

I am looking for a thistle tube like the one shown in the photo. If you have anything similar please let me know. -Don

thistle tube.JPG - 87kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 16:40

Quote: Originally posted by Daxotron  
Hi, I am really new, like literally registered to post this post. Besides that point, what do you think would be a good kit for a casual home lab? Mostly dealing with small organic reactions and distillations if anything, but I don't have any glassware so I'm short on that regards. I live in the East Coast so shipment shouldn't be an issue, but if I were to set up an order from you, what do you think would be the best combination of simple glassware for me?

Most people start with simple glassware like beakers, graduated cylinders, flter flask and a buchner funnel, maybe a few erlenmeyer flasks, funnels, and some bottles or vials to store stuff in. They are heat resistant, safe for organics and corrosives, and more accurate than most kitchen measuring cups. But you can use OTC or home items for many tasks, especially if they are messy or non hazardous. You can get a variety of this type of used glassware for $25-100 that covers most things that you might want to start. Some disposables like pipettes, test tubes, and filter paper are also useful, I have some, but not all of those things, and can do small amounts to start you off.

For distillations and more complex reactions, a kit like that shown above is about $100 in used condition (my kits are all older US made, used, but high quality, labware), and then you can add stuff as needed, but it will do a lot, I used almost the same kit in sophomore organic lab. There are also cheap new versions from China and India, some are not bad, some are terrible, and since China subsidized their exports postage, shipping is cheap. Sometimes things are good, some bad, very dependent on the seller. Make sure to use paypal or a credit card so if there is a problem you can make a claim.

But you can get smaller or bigger kits than that for less or more than $100. I like to start simple and get people to buy more stuff if they find they need it, it does not take much to do simple organic reactions. So for $25 - $200 you can pretty much get a basic lab.

Hope that helps, I had more info then my browser crashed, so I will stay shorter this time.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 17:28

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Dr.Bob:
I am looking for a thistle tube like the one shown in the photo. If you have anything similar please let me know. -Don

Not sure if I have exactly that, but I am still looking around, it might take a few days to look in the likely places. I know I have had some similar ones somewhere years ago, with a wider top, like a funnel. But it also looks a lot like a larger volumetric pipette that has been cut in half. Not sure how easy to score and snap one, but I could try, then just fire polish the edge. I could try that if you want.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 30-3-2018 at 17:40

No, please don't bother cutting a pipette. I did find something that will work at Fisher Scientific. It is 45mm wide at the funnel, however, which is much larger than I need. I did order it as it is holding up my synthesis of catechol.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 4-4-2018 at 17:26

Met with Dr. Bob today! I got some odds and ends but most excited about a new hot plate! The old one was a discard from a local community college and it's gotten unworkably decrepit. I am considering some sort of Viking funeral - take it outside, pile some thermite + magnesium on top, and turn the heat all the way up xD Thanks again!

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by mayko]

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 16:20

Here is an udated list of my current hot/stir plates. The Corning ones below (PC models) all have a nominal size of 6 x 8", which has a usable 5" x 7" area on top.

PC-420 - clean - stirs and heats fine - $140
PC-410 - clean - stirrer only - $100
Cimarec - little dirty - heats and stir well - $150 - digital temp readout works - stirrer is a little noisy - nominal size is 8" x 8", usable is 7" by 7" top. The model number is 8P131325. (For a look at similar versions, see https://www.nist.gov/laboratories/tools-instruments/thermo-s... or https://assets.fishersci.com/TFS-Assets/LED/product-images/F... )

I also still have a few broken ones, mostly without cords or with frayed ones, may work or not, hard to tell. If anyone wants to try to fix a few, or salvage them for parts, I am willing to part with a couple for just the cost of packing and shipping them, in return if you can get more than one working, I would be interested in fixing some for sale and splitting the proceeds or getting back one or two working ones as a trade.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2018 at 18:13

Also, I have recently found both a box of sep funnels (from 60 ml to 4 L size, many intact, some with chipped or broken drip tubes so I would discount) and a box of Soxhlets of all sizes. If you are looking for any of these, let me know and I can see exactly what I have. Examples are: http://catalog2.corning.com/Lifesciences/en-US/Shopping/Prod...

Sep funnel, used in good or better condition - Teflon stopcock 60 ml have lots of intact ones $20.00
Sep funnel, used in good or better condition - Teflon stopcock 125 ml have about 8 $25.00
Sep funnel, used in good or better condition - Teflon stopcock 250 ml have about 5 $30.00
I also have 1 brand new 250 ml one for $40
Sep funnel, used in good condition 500 ml 1 or 2 left, only glass stopcock or broken off tip $30.00
Sep funnel, used in good or better condition 1000 ml 4 $40.00 Some chipped ones for $35
Sep funnel, used in good - Teflon stock cock 2000 ml 2 $50.00 Most have chipped/broken drip tubes
Sep funnel, used in good - Teflon stock cock 4000 ml 2 $65.00 Will be fun to ship. These are heavy.

These are some of the sizes, see this link for the details, various brands, but similar to
http://chemglass.com/product_view.asp?pnr=CG-1369
Sohxlet Extractor with matching condenser, small, condenser is 34/45 $55.00
Sohxlet Extractor with matching condenser, med, condenser is 45/50 $65.00
Sohxlet Extractor with matching condenser, large, condenser is 55/50 $75.00
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 13:58

Hi Dr. Bob, please check your U2U? Looking for a bump trap, seals, advice.

Thanks!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 11:09

Can I get a list of available prescored ampules, and or crimp seal ampule tools and supplies.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 17:44

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
Can I get a list of available prescored ampules, and or crimp seal ampule tools and supplies.

I have a box or more (100 or 144+) of 1 ml ampules for glass sealing. I can send them in boxes of 10 pretty easily if you just want a few, or I can ship a partial or whole box.

I also have some crimp top ampules, I would have to see which ones I have left, I had some 5, 10, 20 or 25ml ones, can't remember how many of what. They are all 20 mm dia septa. If you know how many of what size you are looking for, I can narrow down my search. I do also have a crimper tool for them as well, was holding it for someone a long time back, but they never bought it.

Bob

[Edited on 30-4-2018 by Dr.Bob]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2018 at 18:00

Here is an updated copy of the inventory. I have a hard time keeping it updated, but I am trying. Again, for new people, this is a rough list of the glassware I have available for sale. I am out of many things, but keep finding more as I unpack more boxes.

Most of this is used glassware from a long closed chemical company that a friend worked for, his only ending pay and retirement was anything he could carry out within 2 days of the shutdown, which was about 200 boxes of labware. Some is from a few other companies that friends have worked with and also closed. A few items are new, either still in the box from the closed companies or items that I have bartered for with other sellers and a few group buys. I share the proceeds with my friend, he did not have space and time to sell it. 99% of the glassware is US made, high quality glassware from top companies.

If you have any questions on the condition, please ask. I am sometimes slow to answer, as I have a full time job, plus a few part time ones. So I answer questions as fast as I can, and try to ship orders quickly once they are agreed upon, but it can take a little while to get to that point. But I try to make people happy and do fair deals. Thanks to the people that have helped me and my friend make some extra money, recycle some good glassware, and clean out a lot of boxes that we don't have space to store much longer.

Attachment: Glassware Inventory May 2018.xls (84kB)
This file has been downloaded 832 times

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 18:14

Here is a newer spreadsheet, not too many changes, but a few.

Got a few 250 and 500 ml filter flasks left, lots of volumetric flasks, more erlenmeyer flasks, still have some new 250 ml beakers, and more.

Attachment: Glassware Inventory Oct 2018.xls (84kB)
This file has been downloaded 640 times

weilawei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2018 at 13:01

I just purchased a Dean-Stark trap from Dr. Bob. It's a really gorgeous brand-new Chemglass piece, and I have to say, it may be the best deal I've ever gotten on glassware. His communication was excellent and prompt. I received the package in 2 business days--very quick! All around incredible service, and I'll be checking Dr. Bob's selection first in the future.

Thank you so much!
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-12-2018 at 09:47

Hello I am looking for a round bottom flask with a bottom drain. Would you or anyone else have one for sale at reasonable cost? 24/29 24/40// or 29/32 29/42 500ml-1000ml 24/40 preferred. I am also looking for 10/18 glassware, adapters, condensers. I have put together a set that is nearly complete I still require a water cooled condenser a reflux condenser etc.

I too am looking for a reaction kettle(s), 250ml-2000ml at reasonable cost I obviously realize 2000ml kettle set for $50 is not reasonable, although welcome but hardly practical, however $200 for a used set up is also not particularly reasonable either. All I hope for is reasonable pricing.

Lastly anyone whom has any stainless steel reaction vessel (s) jointed or triclamp fitted I would be extremely interested in talking to you I would also be interested in aquirring a thick walled stainless or steel cylinder like a cup. If anyone has something or can guide me I would appreciate it.

Any responses would be appreciated.
Best regards.

Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2018 at 19:56

I have a few things in that list. I took photos a while back but have not yet posted them, as they are mostly in storage right now, but I can dig them out given a little time.

I have one 2000 ml 24/40 3 neck rbf with a bottom drain. - I have not set a price but it is quite a nice flask, looks like new I might have had one in 1000 ml but cannot find a photo of it so far.

And I have a small variety of jacketed fixed kettle reactors, mostly from 250 ml to 1000 ml, maybe one at 2000 ml, but not sure off hand on a 2000 ml one. I do have one big one, 5 or 6 L, but it will be pretty pricey, I still need to research that one and will likely list it on Ebay, they sell new for $5-6000, and this one is pristine.

I had some 10/18 glassware, a micro set which I sold, but I might have a few pieces left, so I will look to see what is left.

20180209_174522.jpg - 1.3MB 20180209_174420.jpg - 1.4MB

[Edited on 17-12-2018 by Dr.Bob]

20170714_183847.jpg - 1.3MB20180127_211343.jpg - 1.3MB20180127_211600.jpg - 1.2MB
morganbw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2018 at 15:08

Dang Dr. Bob,
I had to wipe the saliva from my chin.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2018 at 07:16

My u2u is locked up and it won;t let me delete messages right now, so I'll post this here.

The 2000 ml 3 neck with bottom drain lists for $300+ on Chemglass new, I would sell it for $75, it is complete and nearly perfect.

The smallest reactor is 250 ml, they start at $500 new, it would be $75, the 1000 ml ones I would ask $100 for, I think I can find tops for most, but not sure if all of them, BUT I don't have the O-rings or clamps for them, a few people have used plywood to cut a circle out in a square and then used bolts and nuts on the four corners to hold them together. The O-rings can be ordered off of EBay, there are a few people that sell them for reasonable prices under "buna O-ring" and the diameter needed. The tops I have are mostly complex ones with about 4-8 joints, openings, or fittings, so that might take a little work, but I can try to find the right adapters, fittings, stoppers or seals for them.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2018 at 16:40

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
No, please don't bother cutting a pipette. I did find something that will work at Fisher Scientific. It is 45mm wide at the funnel, however, which is much larger than I need. I did order it as it is holding up my synthesis of catechol.

If you ever need something vaguely similar in fused quartz there's these. 30 dollars or best offer the seller posts on eBay.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=71645&...
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 12:00

Merry Christmas to all you science geeks out there!

In the spirit of Christmas, I have a used set of A and B of the Advanced Organic Chemistry by Francis A. Carey and Richard J. Sundberg, the old green edition from when I was in school, that I will mail free of charge to the first person who responds to this post, signifying that you are really a science geek if reading this at Christmas. I would prefer someone who really can use it, such a college student, and east coasts will save me some postage, but the person to post here wins, then just u2u me your mailing address.

I am trying to clean out some more old books, so I will try to post some more books soon which I will give away for postage only. If you are in NC, I could even give you a bunch, since that might save me postage.

Bob
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 12:42

I sent you an email, Dr. Bob. Merry Christmas!
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2018 at 12:44

We have a winner. I'll do some more books soon, thanks and Merry Christmas.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-12-2018 at 11:25

Aw, I wish I saw this sooner, since I'm taking Advanced Organic Chemistry next semester. Oh well, congrats, happyfooddance!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22    24  ..  30

Go To Top