Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I need help finding the very bane of roaches existence...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 21:38

They don't like hammers that much.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 19:08

I have been in a number of houses, that once had roaches, but had them no more.

Boric Acid. They eat it and die. Then, because they are roaches, the living roaches eat the bodies of the dead roaches, and they die too.

Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill, Kill,Kill, Kill.

Umm. Maybe I got carried away. I hate roaches.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 10:46

Despite the "german cockroach" being one of the worst roaches around, I have to say in almost four decades of living in germany, I've never seen a single one of them :o
Strange...
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 11:40

I have seen them numerous times in Munich, the first couple times I went after them, trying to kill them. But people told me they fly around looking for food, if you don't have any laying around they won't stick around.

Maybe someone close wasn't being so clean.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 12:29

Ok thats munich for you, I guess...
I once travelled via their train station, and my train was delayed so I remained there after it got dark....
It looked like the rats suddenly played ballet on the tracks after the sun went down :o
I've never seen so much rats at once, and absolutely never such fearless ones at once ever :o
Horrific experience, but I guess it depends on the cities a lot and differs a whole lot as well.

But, I still hope to never experience any roaches ever, and if so... then I hope I can might acquire a gram of your bromo DDT analogue from you :P
Or make some on my own.

Its a shame that DDT and analogues have been completely restricted nowadays, just 5 years more on the free market and the planet would have been eradicated of malaria...
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 17:05

Speaking of rats, they eat cockroaches.
Cockroaches will also kill bedbugs.
But bedbugs will feed on rat.

Like rock paper scissors but with pests.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 10:31

I'm still sad they banned Chlordane for termite control. You could apply it around the house in a trench around the foundation, and for 50 years, there were no termites. It sticks to clay, so it does not wash away or into ground water, and lasts so long that you almost never have to reapply anything. Diamonds may be forever, but chordane is nearly that good. Fipronil is good for about 10 years, which is not bad, but many other newer things go away quickly, so you just have to retreat more often, so more overall pesticide use. Hexaflumuron is also a great compound, when used as a bait system, if you just spray that on the bottom of the studs and the sill plate it would likely keep termites away for years as well, and not hard to make, I think 2 steps. I made an analog of it a few years back that I happened to find the starting materials for, it was one atom away from each of two approved compounds, so should be quite effective. Just soak some wood stakes in it and drive them around the foundation. Termites eat them, take it back to the colony and kill it, like Sentricon or other bait stations, but much simpler and cheaper, as no need to monitor is every stake is treated already.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 11:28

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
I'm still sad they banned Chlordane for termite control. You could apply it around the house in a trench around the foundation, and for 50 years, there were no termites. It sticks to clay, so it does not wash away or into ground water, and lasts so long that you almost never have to reapply anything.

These properties make it both amazing and terrible at the same time. The same can be said for Aldrin and Dieldrin. I have worked on two projects where these compounds added huge amounts to the cost. Both were industrial facilities that liberally applied these compounds during construction in the 50s and 60s (no evidence of termites in any buildings during demolition ~2010). One site required a specially design on site containment cell to hold all of the contaminated soil and concrete (this added millions to the project cost). The other required soil to be thermally treated to burn off the OCP residue (this added many 10s of millions to the project cost). They are amazing products until someone decides they want to do something different with the land. I still think there are modern applications for these products, but their persistence in the environment, ecotoxicity and potential impact on human health have obviously kiboshed that. My Grandfather stockpiled a bunch of 245T, Dieldrin and Lucijet back in the 70s and 80s when they started to get hard to come by, because they were all so effective at what they were designed for. It is a shame we humans couldn't be a little more responsible with our use of chemicals or we might still have a few of these in our repertoire.
TriiodideFrog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 20:36

You can try using baking soda and sugar in equal parts. Put it in a bowl and place it in a place they frequent.
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 06:22

Quote: Originally posted by TriiodideFrog  
You can try using baking soda and sugar in equal parts. Put it in a bowl and place it in a place they frequent.

Is bicarb toxic for roaches? That seems like an odd thing to be toxic, but then again, what do I know...

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top