Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice on safety for aldol products
EverythingAl2O3
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 15:14
Advice on safety for aldol products

So I was planning on doing an aldol of acetone and iodo-acetone, however I cannot find any safety information from any chemical library, sigma aldrich or other suppliers on these potential aldol products. There is only data for the 3-iodo-4-methyl-pent-3-en-2-one with a BP of 237C and a VP of 0+-0.5mmHg.

In the way of safety I plan on a small scale test of maybe 1ml of each reactant to prevent large issues, butyl rubber gloves, eyewear, and appropriate lab clothing. But I wanted to get some other opinions. If anyone else thinks that this cannot be done safely because of the lack of information on the products then I'm more than happy to not start the project. (Please note that I do not have a fume hood, but do not expect these products to be very volatile due to the iodo groups.)

3-iodo-4-methyl-pent-3-en-2-one source https://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.73967163.html?rid=907ac7a4-af4f-42f0-b7fd-56fae985c192
Acetone aldol.JPG - 17kB
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 19:11

Isn't iodoacetone a lachrymator? Or is it too low-boiling?
EverythingAl2O3
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 13:41

Quote:

Isn't iodoacetone a lachrymator? Or is it too low-boiling?

I have not come across any mention of iodoacetone being a lachrymator. Looking at the data it has a BP of 163C and a vapor pressure of 2.1mmHg. Compared to Chloroacetone we know is a lachrymator with a BP of 119C and VP of 11.25mmHg. So I don't know how the volatility difference of 9.15mmHg will alter the ability of it to behave as a lachrymator.
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 23:39

Science Madness is not a bad resource when it comes to chemistry related info. Check this: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=18579

:)

A somewhat related info might be that iodoaceticacid-(m)ethyl ester is a decent lacrymator too.
karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 10:59

Iodoketones are in general also lachrymators if the corresponding chloro- or bromoketones have lachrymator action.
But usually much less due to lower vapor pressure, they are easier to handle, usually.

Go To Top