Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Microporous zinc + photo
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 09:56
Microporous zinc + photo

All of you have seen the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid. This is very fast and exothermic reaction. If you observe this reaction a small amount of black powder is formed, which does not dissolve in acid during the reaction. I filtered it and saved it with each reaction. The photo shows that it is black, but actually it is gray powder. White particles are zinc oxide, of course it is pyrogenic and when I heated it, an oxide was formed. Surprising though it is quite an inert powder. I conducted various experiments with acids and bases. It does not dissolve in cold acids. Dissolves in warm nitric acid and warm sodium hydroxide solution.With the latter formed a precipitate of cadmium oxide color, which I do not know what it is.

• I almost forgot. It is formed when hydrogen released during a reaction dissolves on the surface of zinc. Unfortunately I do not have a microscope otherwise I would be happy to observe the pores.

• My plan is to mix palladium and see how effective the catalyst will be. Of course it is not as inert as activated carbon, although we know that calcium carbonate is used instead of carbon.

received_715834165716744.jpeg - 289kB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 13:23

You collected quite a lot of this powder! I always thought that the black remains are carbon impurities of the metal, but if heating it leaves behind ZnO, then it must be zinc in another form (or maybe zinc, with some hydrogen dissolved in it?).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 13:46

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
You collected quite a lot of this powder! I always thought that the black remains are carbon impurities of the metal, but if heating it leaves behind ZnO, then it must be zinc in another form (or maybe zinc, with some hydrogen dissolved in it?).

It is 100% zinc. A have pure hydrochloric acid and zinc and it is unlikely to be any impurities. It isnt another form It is ordinary zinc it just has deep pores and has a dark color due to light reflection. As I remember the color is determined by the angles in the pores. The light is also reflected in the pores and after some time it comes out.

I have one question. what the number of stars depends on?
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 16:53

Quote: Originally posted by vano.kavt  

I have one question. what the number of stars depends on?

I believe it is directly related to the number of posts you make.

That is really interesting that the left over black powder is zinc. I always thought, like woelen, it was carbon impurities, just like when you dissolve nails or any other steel in HCl and get black precipitate are the bottom. I will have to start collecting the remains of zinc reductions.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 23:30

Quote: Originally posted by Opylation  

I believe it is directly related to the number of posts you make.

That is really interesting that the left over black powder is zinc. I always thought, like woelen, it was carbon impurities, just like when you dissolve nails or any other steel in HCl and get black precipitate are the bottom. I will have to start collecting the remains of zinc reductions.

Thank you. It will be good if you collect. I used almost one liter of concentrated hydrochloric acid to get this. Do not overheat during drying, otherwise it will burn.

Go To Top