Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Halosaccharins
mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

Mood: ASS

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 14:43
Halosaccharins

I have heard about these halo saccharin compounds a few weeks back but hadn't really looked into them until yesterday. They seem like a way easier way of adding a halogen group than halo succinimides, mostly because the cheap cost of saccharin and the ability to use halogen salts with oxone. I found this explanation here:

https://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=...

It all seems just fine, but I have yet to come across any kind of "non-professional" reports of its use and the practicality of its halogenating properties. Has anyone used these halosaccharins with great success where a halosuccinimide or even just a halogen would be used?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 15:22

Interesting find, I must admit that while I have vaguely heard of them before, like you I have never send an article that uses them in a practical preparation. But certainly worth investigating.

One of the problems I have had with haloimine and imides is the large amount of spent imide that has to be removed from the reaction mixture before you can recover your product. This is why TCCA is often the best bet, it has three chlorines to donate, the by product is sparingly soluble in almost everything, its cheap, its OTC and the waste product can be used to prepare calcium cyanamide etc.
mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 15:33

I've never had that issue with NBS i think, or if I did it was simple enough to remove. But the idea of having a kind of all-purpose halogenating reagent intrigues me, especially one that can be made with literally salt and sugar in Acetonitrile. Its more gentle than tcca as well, at least from what I've read.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 15:33

They are less good halogenating agents apparently.
But I've never used them for that or any other purpose, I just whipped up a batch of NCSac once and that was it.

Haven't I sent you that paper though, a few weeks ago, where they reported aromatic iodination with NISac?
I am sure I have.
You know the one where they reported it to work better than NIS, the N-iodosuccinimide, for that purpose.
I would say that is a good place to start looking into using the NXSac's in place of NXS's as reagents.

They surely can replace the latter in any reaction, and only differ in the extent of how well they can substitute the respective N-halosuccinimides.
But yes, I know, examples of the usage of NXSac's are relatively scarce to find, despite the relatively ease of making these N-halosaccharines.

I guess we need a brave amateur chemists who tries that stuff for reactions where N-halosuccinimides are to be used normally... ;)
mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 15:54

Yeah you sent that paper, but after finding saccharin for very cheap I decided to look more into it. Even if they didn't work as well, the cost is so small compared to succinimide that I could use a 20 molar excess and not even care :P ill probably have to prepare some since the paper i linked above suggest its regioselective almost on par with nbs in Acetonitrile.
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2020 at 18:13

I would simply try to use NBSac for a simple reaction that is well known to be working with NBS.
Maybe brominate a ketone with it, use 10%mol of TsOH as catalyst, in acetonitrile, just as usual and check how well that works?
Or use it in the hofmann rearrangement, or for the aromatic bromination, whatever substrate is least valuable to you.

Yeah well if you use a 20x excess you will of course get a different outcome, dibromination is probably the least of your worries in that case :P

If you ask me, I believe that, depending on the reaction its used for, it won't be disappointing.
Maybe prolong the reaction time somewhat, or check ideally with TLC how fast it progresses, to compare how fast the same reaction works opposed to NBS.

As for the problem Boffis describes, I don't had any issues with NBS either.
Often you can just precipitate your product with water as they are mostly insoluble in it, unlike succinimide, and thus are able to easily isolate it.
But for the free acidic saccharin, this seems to be more of an issue with its low solubility... however this allows for an easy recovery for reuse on the other hand.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 09:34

Quote: Originally posted by mr_bovinejony  
I have heard about
It all seems just fine, but I have yet to come across any kind of "non-professional" reports of its use and the practicality of its halogenating properties. Has anyone used these halosaccharins with great success where a halosuccinimide or even just a halogen would be used?

There is a seemingly simple way of halogenating arenes with iodosaccharin, made by reacting the silver salt of saccharin with I2 in acetone. Attached you find an article I found many years ago but never bothered to try, as I don't have any saccharin. Preparation of aryl iodides is way more interesting than bromides or chlorides, as there are not as many routes.

Also, you have not come across non-academic reports because

Iodination reactions are the kind of chemistry you use to make fine chemicals and specialty products, so no reputable company with a working, efficient productive process will tell you how it's carried out. You can probably find patents, if you look enough, but they usually aren't very user-friendly.

On an industrial setting it's much cheaper to use the raw elements, rather than complex halogenating agents. Organic fluorides are made with HF and fluorine, not with all the super-specialty fluorinating agents you see reported in articles. Only a small minority of the things you see and do in a lab can be trasferred to an industrial setting. For example, Grignard reactions are extremely hard to replicate industrially, and much more dangerous.

Attachment: iodosaccarina Dolenc 2000.pdf (55kB)
This file has been downloaded 276 times

[Edited on 14-12-2020 by valeg96]

mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 11:38

I had planned on trying the finkelstein reaction to make some iodine compound, but I do have some silver salt i don't need if that doesn't work out. But like you said I have rarely seen iodine used except for special chemicals that require the iodine group, at least with aromatic halogen compounds they are well documented with chlorine and bromine
karlos³
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 12:29

Well you can apparently make 2C-I with NISac which you can't, for whatever reason, with NIS.
So it is definitely of much use for us.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2020 at 19:33

Perhaps you will find these instructive. Both deal with halosaccharins.

AvB

Attachment: N-Bromosaccharin Review kim2012.pdf (95kB)
This file has been downloaded 295 times

Attachment: Use of N-Halo Compounds in Synthesis Review veisi2011.pdf (3.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 275 times

mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-12-2020 at 16:42

I got my saccharin today so I ran some trials. Heres the specifics

3 beakers each with 10.25 g of sodium saccharin, 2.6 g of sodium carbonate, and 200 mls of water

NaCl - 3 grams
NaBr - 5 grams
KI - 8.5 grams

3 beakers of 31 grams of oxone dissolved in 30 mls of water were prepared.

No ice bath needed like the paper suggest. And as for stirring for 24 hours, thats probably bullshit as well. Unless something else formed that precipitates quickly, the product fell out right away.

The first beaker containing chlorine was the most calm. No crazy precipitate formed and stirring was easy. There was some small amount of foaming but it was controlled with slow additions of the oxone.

The second beaker with bromine was a little bit tougher. Some foam collected on top and the orange color stayed around and is still around. The familiar burning sensation from bromine is in my nostrils.

The last beaker with iodine I fear has failed. As soon as the first bit of oxone was added the whole thing turned to grape kool-aid. There is no white precipitate of product visible beyond the precipitate of iodine. I guess this was to be expected tho. I might try to work it up with sublimation to remove the iodine and then a shit ton of water washing, but ill most likely be reacting the solution with sodium thiosulfate and my drain.

I'll get some yields for you people asap. This was a fun little experiment, I have a few aromatics I want to react them with for some regioselective reasons, namely benzamide and 3 bromo anisole.

There also exists a nitro saccharin I want to make, but thats not a priority right now. It would be nice though to have a nitrating compounds without wasting sulfuric and nitric acid.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 21-12-2020 at 22:30

I haven't read all the articles shared in this thread, but what I posted about iodosaccharin definitely wasn't "saccharin sodium+KI+substrate". There is a reason why they go through the silver salt and then convert it to the iodine compound.

mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 15:01

Yeah the iodine compound was just a fun exercise since I had never made elemental iodine before.

Here's the yields. Well, yield singular
4.7 grams of chloro sacc

The bromo sacc had made particles of way too small a size and I didn't feel like fucking with celite or a long filtration. But I estimate there was around 3 grams after it had all settled to the bottom. More experiments will be done to find a recrystalization solvent so I can get filterable crystals. Chlorine sucks anyway and I much prefer bromine compounds.

Go To Top