Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My hydroxylamine smells like cyanide
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-2-2021 at 13:15
My hydroxylamine smells like cyanide

Title says it all. I bought some hydroxylamine HCl from the same supplier(chemsavers) like i always do. I always knew the smell of hydroxylamine as an ammoniacal, chemical odor. But when i open this new batch, i smells like almonds and must. The almond scent is stronger than the must, but it does have a really musty “barn-like” smell as well.

What exactly does this mean? Does my hydroxylamine have some sort of cyanogenic impurity or something? If so, how much would there have to be to overpower the hydroxylamine?

I dont have the iron salts to do a classic Prussian-blue cyanide test, is there any other way to verify? It’s just really weird, it doesnt smell like hydroxylamie one bit. It looks just like hydroxylamine, so its just an impurity causing the smell, but still.

If you have any info about this issue please share!

njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 07:42

This is really interesting... even if you did have iron salts, would those salts be reduced by hydroxylamine? You have hydroxylamine HCl, so if there was a cyanide salt impurity it could definitely be evolving HCN.
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2021 at 15:08

One thing to mention, I did happen to spill some hydroxylamine solution on me, definitely enough to kill me instantly if it was pure cyanide. The scent of musty almonds is definitely stronger when the hydroxylamine is in a solution. I tried doing an oximation with this stuff in a weakly acidic solution (slightly wet sodium acetate) prior to noticing the smell for the first time. If HCN formed it was probably at this point, however I didn’t smell anything and i haven’t suffered even the mildest of cyanide poisoning symptoms since.

I definitely was working with it, and was exposed to an extent, I think I would be suffering atleast some symptoms by now if this “cyanide” was anything more than a minute impurity.

Maybe I should bring this up with chemsavers?

Go To Top