Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Large scale anthranilic acid prep
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 13:00

Quote: Originally posted by mr_bovinejony  
@oxide I just don't like the reaction, titration of store bought bleach is a pain and temperature control during the reaction is hard. It may be different now that I upgraded my hotplate, but I'm in no rush to do it again
The bleach titration is a little tedious, but nothin too bad. As for the temperature, just lots of salt and ice does the trick for me.

I've decided I'm going to do it one more time (even though I have a lot of anthranilic acid), I want to test a recryst of the crude product (which is almost white) with solvents other than water (MeOH, ether, chloroform/heptane, etc). I have a feeling that may yield some nicer crystals.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 13:16

@carl I've done the hoffman twice and it's provided me with enough compound to last at least two more years :P sometimes you gotta go through pain to get to the good stuff

Oh look who's talking, its mister large scale bragging again :P
Hehehe :D
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 13:27

MJ-popcorn.gif - 308kB
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 14:06

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
The hoffman reaction is bullshit for any chemical lol

Said the guy who uses the hofmann for his favorite substance :P

Details?

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 14:43

Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  

No need for this, we are actually quite good friends and I'm just teasing my pal :D
mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

Mood: ASS

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 15:32

My inability to do reactions under a 3 gram scale has been my downfall. But when it works its the greatest feeling ever :D
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2021 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
Quote: Originally posted by SuperOxide  

No need for this, we are actually quite good friends and I'm just teasing my pal :D

Oh I know. I got the feeling you two were just messing about. :)

My inability to do reactions under a 3 gram scale has been my downfall. But when it works its the greatest feeling ever :D

I know how you feel! When I do a reaction on a small scale, even when it works it's not too exciting. I try to keep smaller scale reactions to test runs or POC's.

[Edited on 20-4-2021 by SuperOxide]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

mad.gif posted on 18-9-2022 at 23:07

Don't know why people struggle with this one, it seems very simple

Well, embarrassingly enough, I can't get this to work :(

Your procedure that you outlined in the first post was basically as follows:

1. Add 45g of methyl anthranilate to a flask.
  2. To the same flask, add 200mL of 2M NaOH solution
  3. Reflux for 4 hours with stirring, then let cool.
  4. Upon cooling the reaction mixture should separate into a biphasic mixture.
  5. Separate the bottom layer and add 20% HCl until enough AA precipitates that the stir bar will no longer work.
  6. Filter and purify.

Which seems dead simple... I tried this first with the same scale that you did (45g MA + 200mL of 2M NaOH), and after the refluxing I let it come to room temperature, but it remained one phase. I tried salting out the oil phase with varying amounts of salt with no success.

I assumed it was the (likely) low purity methyl anthranilate I got off ebay, so I decided to get some decently pure methyl anthranilate from HiMedia off of Amazon. I was so sure that it would work this time that I bumped the scale up 2x (90g MA + 400mL 2M NaOH), but after refluxing for 4 hours and letting it cool, I was disappointed to find out that there was no second phase.

More pictures here.

The NaOH solution was freshly made by adding 40.0g of NaOH to some distilled water, once dissolved and cooled to 25 °C, it was added to a 500mL volumetric flask and enough distilled water was added to get it to the 500mL volume line. Then 400mL of that was added to the 1L RBF for the reflux.

What could I be doing wrong here? I'll let it sit over night, maybe something will separate over night (doubtful).
Unless someone here has any suggestions, I may try distilling off some of the volume to see if that helps the denser phase containing the MA to separate.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2022 at 05:51

mr_bovinejony just describes he had an oily contamination (unreacted methyl anthranilate?) which he got rid of by decanting the reaction mixture. If your starting material is pure and the reaction goes to completion, I don't expect any separation.

All that is in there is sodium anthranilate, NaOH, methanol and water. Sodium anthranilate dissolves in water.

Just add a calculated amount of HCl (exactly enough to neutralize the NaOH you used) and filter the precipitated anthranilic acid.

[Edited on 19-9-2022 by Tsjerk]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2022 at 07:08

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
mr_bovinejony just describes he had an oily contamination (unreacted methyl anthranilate?) which he got rid of by decanting the reaction mixture. If your starting material is pure and the reaction goes to completion, I don't expect any separation.

All that is in there is sodium anthranilate, NaOH, methanol and water. Sodium anthranilate dissolves in water.

Just add a calculated amount of HCl (exactly enough to neutralize the NaOH you used) and filter the precipitated anthranilic acid.

[Edited on 19-9-2022 by Tsjerk]

Oh wow, holy crap.. I thought he discarded the top later and did the workup on the oily bottom layer.. this makes so much more sense.

Thanks!

Edit: Here are pics of the crude results (not yet weighted out)

It's in the vacuum desiccator now. Once it's dry, I think I'll experiment with different methods of purification. I really want to try the sublimation as pointed out by Fery.

[Edited on 19-9-2022 by SuperOxide]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 19-9-2022 at 12:17

That looks nice doesn't it? Let us know how the sublimation works out.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2022 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
That looks nice doesn't it? Let us know how the sublimation works out.

It does! I have a theory that water may be part of what causes the discoloration upon recryst. When I did the purification using heptane in the soxhlet extractor it came out nearly colorless when I did the recryst using MeOH. But then I (stupidly) added some water and that's when it started ti discolor. So I want to get it 100% dry, then I will try the sublimation and also a recryst using MeOH (or EtOH).
DocX
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2022 at 10:38

This is great stuff! Wonderful to see this route successful. Now all I need is some methyl anthranilate ....
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 05:23

Quote: Originally posted by DocX  
This is great stuff! Wonderful to see this route successful. Now all I need is some methyl anthranilate ....

I would recommend getting it from HiMedia off Amazon... It's 102% pure. Can't beat that, lol.
DocX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 12:33

Not the same economic area mate :). Doesn't show up when I search Amazon.
Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 12:56

This site sells it at $11 per 100 g.
https://www.perfumersworld.com/view.php?pro_id=4NC00295

As far as I know it ships from Thailand, so depending on where you are it may take some time to get to you.

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2022 at 22:12

https://shop.es-drei.de/ester/11927/anthranilsaeuremethylest...

Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-9-2022 at 17:27

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  
https://shop.es-drei.de/ester/11927/anthranilsaeuremethylest...

They have a fantastic selection of reasonably-priced chemicals; the only drawback is that they don't deliver to anywhere outside the EU.
On a totally unrelated note, has anyone had chemicals shipped to a dedicated drop point in Germany and then had them successfully forwarded on thanks to a dedicated forwarding service e.g. https://www.forward2me.com/ ?

Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2022 at 05:19

es-drei.de dont deliver to all EU countries anymore.
I ordered lots of stuff from them a few years ago but now they say the paperwork to ship to Sweden is so much work so they stopped selling to Sweden.
Very sad as they have much stuff of intrest for hobby chemists.

I can understand them somewhat as my orders got stopped by DHL Sweden and they required the seller (es-drei) to deliver very much documentation on all items if they were to deliver the shippment.
DHL also didnt accept electronic documents, they required the papers to be sent by paper form.
DHL is such a hassle to use, never do the shipping with them if you order chemicals.
And es-drei has some deal with DHL to use them for all shipping (at least a few years ago), i hope they change that so i can order from them again.
Otherwise es-drei is a very good supplier that has much stuff not found anywhere else for hobby chemists.
So if you are in some other EU country check them out, very recomended.
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2022 at 18:47
Sublimation failure; Recrystallization success

Hey chaps. I had some time today to give this sublimation a shot. Initially I thought that maybe I should try to recrystallize it first, then move on to sublimation. I decided against that because of how nice looking the crude anthranilic acid looked to begin with... But I will soon regret this :(

Link to imgur album with all photos (not all shown below). To enlarge the below images, just right click -> Open Image In New Tab.

Here's the crude AA after it was thoroughly dried over P2O5 under vacuum. See how nice it looks? Kinda why I figured why it's probably pure enough to move right onto sublimation.

Sublimation setup, in my state-of-the-art laboratory.
Note: I did flame dry the glassware used, which is totally overkill.

And right off the bat it liquified pretty quickly (as expected - it has a mp of 146 to 148 °C).

At this point, it's all entirely liquified. I continued to heat it to past 200 °C (sublimation point), but it started to boil, not sublime.

After I let it cool down, some interesting crystals started to form on the sides, but this was just from the liquids vaporizing then condensing and solidifying on the sides.

I did try a few things like heating it up slower, heating it up faster, but the result seemed to be the same.

So now I get to go back to my first instincts - recryst then sublimation. I know I've mentioned in a few AA threads that I have a suspicion that any anthranilic acid recryst using water seems to always result in dirty looking brown crystals. So I decided to go with my MeOH (which was fractionally distilled from HEET and dried with sodium).
And this yielded the best looking anthranilic acid crystals I've ever made to date:

I'll recryst the rest of the AA in the same fashion.

I still do plan on trying the sublimation with the newly purified AA, but I don't have time to do it today. But I wanted to share the above results thus far.

The takeaways:

1. Even though this AA prep from methyl anthranilate yields a much cleaner looking crude product, there's clearly still some impurities present that caused the entire thing to liquify very quickly under a flame.
  2. Stay away from using water in any recrystallization for anthranilic acid. A recryst from MeOH will probably yield a pure enough result for any amateur needs.

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2022 at 00:16

Very nice experiment and a lot of effort! How strong vacuum produces your pump? Your recrystallized product looks very pure, it is very likely unnecessary to sublime it. In org chem we usually do not need extra superior purity as almost every reaction has some side reactions.

SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2022 at 15:47

Very nice experiment and a lot of effort! How strong vacuum produces your pump?
Thanks! And it's a KNF UN726FTO. I think the valve reflects that it gets down to around -25 inHg.

Your recrystallized product looks very pure, it is very likely unnecessary to sublime it. In org chem we usually do not need extra superior purity as almost every reaction has some side reactions.
I couldn't agree more, especially when you consider that they typically would look more like this:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=658533&...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=658511&...

If I had an actual synthesis planned for the anthranilic acid, then I would move on. But this thread has me curious about the sublimation method for purification, so I think I'll give it one more shot. Benignium suggested that I don't use a flame next time and use a more conventional heat source, so I'll probably get a smaller fabric heating mantle.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2022 at 21:13

SuperOxide - also the. stronger vacuum the lover temperature at which anthranilic acid sublimes

SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2022 at 19:14

Just a quick recryst update - Whenever I do a recryst, after I pull the first and second crop out I usually let the mother liquor evaporate slowly, just to see what else comes out. And I found an odd surprise this time. imgur album

Some nice, large single crystals of anthranilic acid started to show up, but a more obvious development was several crops of a much darker substance:

Pretty peculiar.. But I guess that's to be expected when you've already pulled a couple crops out of the main component. The residual impurities tend to fall out.

But I did get some nice larger crystals of anthranilic acid:
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-10-2022 at 10:48

Wow! This is separation and efficiency! Hats off, SuperOxide!
I want to do this to my "craps" too! :D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top