Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Quick and dirty" seals, connectors, plugs?
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2021 at 01:42
"Quick and dirty" seals, connectors, plugs?

I often have a need for making something that only needs to work once. Last example is wanting to make CS2. I wanted to do it by using carbon fibre as an electric resistive element in a sulfur containing chamber. But like as is usually the case, I'm having a real hard time getting things sealed properly with makeshift equipment.

I used a 1 L round bottom flask, with two 2 mm copper busbars/wires going in. The idea was that if I use slightly oversized wires, it will remain at a low temperature(even close to the carbon fibre) so that the sulfur doesn't just react with the hot copper instead.

But it's hopeless trying to get a good seal on things. When it comes to these sort of distillation type reactions, most glues get useless when it's strong solvents you're distilling.

Do you guys know of any good materials for these situations? Maybe clay or gypsum, coated with teflon tape, stuff like that?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-2-2021 at 09:38

Stuff that reacts or is rated as incompatible with the material it gets exposed to, usually withstands "that one run". Looking for example Cody's ketene with rubber plugs - they do corrode away, but the corroded mass will keep the contents sealed for the reaction, and many many more, until it gets so bad it crumbles away or starts leaking. I've used rubber plugs prior in Claisen head for thermometer before I got glass thermowells and I distilled everything including nitric acid with it, and it got badly stained but never gave away.

Meanwhile, I turned a plug from teflon and just pushed the probe through a little undersized hole with some force, and it created a sufficient seal to keep vacuum for distillation.

I've also used ordinary tile plaster to mold and seal things. It's composed of aluminosilicates and other stuff that's found in concrete and ceramics so it's quite resistant to most things, and in vapor phase will likely form only compounds that inhibit further corrosion.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 25-2-2021 at 19:12

Maybe Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry will have some pointers.

Your project sounds incredibly arcane. I'm pretty sure that few of us have ever used Carbon Disulfide.

Check our library. Ferret out a proven procedure.

I was reading Vogel yesterday, and I remember a few choice words he mentioned regarding Carbon Disulfide.

"Avoid using it, if you can!"

It's used to make Carbon Tetrachloride. Perhaps the process can be reversed at modest temperatures? Perhaps by the reaction of Carbon Tetrachloride with NaS? Sodium and Chlorine, surely do love each other. OK...... I'll check.

Ummm. Turns out, some of the guys here have had success making Carbon Disulfide. http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Carbon_disulf...

Anyway, if you just need some Carbon Disulfide. You actually can make it from Carbon Tetrachloride.

Carbon Tetrachloride can be made from Chloroform. Chloroform is easy to make.

[Edited on 26-2-2021 by zed]

Go To Top