Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Alibaba
Mush
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2021 at 02:54

Do buyers get bombarded with promotional stuff from Alibaba or traders after registration? One has to give Alibaba all personal details. I dont wish to get spam calls/ emails all the time.

Aliexpress is the little sister of Alibaba. Does Baba work the same way as Express regarding small purchases?
JoeMama257460
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-10-2021 at 05:04

Can't really speak towards the comparison between Baba and Express, but the size of the purchase is solely dependent on the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity) set by the seller. This is typically 1kg in my experience, as I've only used it for purchasing of (seemingly/relatively) exotic organic small moelcules/APIs.

There is a pretty hefty amount of promo sent to your email inbox, but that seems to be about it. My trust issues (saw someone else mention their own :P ) led me to be a nightmare for the first seller unlucky enough for me to choose them, but overall it was fine. Delivery took exactly 61 or 62 days from the day I sent payment. This is bound to vary though depending on time spent in customs, seller's shipment speed, etc.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 6-10-2021 at 05:45

Maybe this thread could be made more useful by listing sellers that are happy to sell volumes appropriate for the hobbyist? I have certainly not found any despite a huge number of enquiries.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2021 at 19:19

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
Maybe this thread could be made more useful by listing sellers that are happy to sell volumes appropriate for the hobbyist? I have certainly not found any despite a huge number of enquiries.

Smallest amount you'll get from an Alibaba seller is 1kg and that's after making it crystal clear 5x that that's all your looking for. There salespeople are told to ignore the fact U asked specifically for a certain amount and just keep quoting prices for tonnes of 100kg sacks or whatever size it is you didn't ask for. If anyone can get less than a kilo out of an Alibaba seller I'd be surprised.the exception would be for very very expensive items. As for AliExpress I cannot say but for Alibaba less than a kilo probably isn't Gunna happen
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-10-2021 at 19:23

With AliBaba, you contact the seller and negotiate a price for an amount.

With AliExpress, you find the item you're looking for, click it and buy it. You're not nearly as likely to find the chemical you want, but if it's there, it's no hassle.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Oxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-10-2021 at 11:10

Quote: Originally posted by Mush  
Do buyers get bombarded with promotional stuff from Alibaba or traders after registration? One has to give Alibaba all personal details. I dont wish to get spam calls/ emails all the time.

Aliexpress is the little sister of Alibaba. Does Baba work the same way as Express regarding small purchases?

I made a few deals on Alibaba and my experiences are really good.
No need to worry about spam, sellers there are professionals.
The only extra messages I got from there were new year greetings and questions if their products meet my requirements (and if I need more :D).
Mush
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 05:02

Quote: Originally posted by Oxy  

I made a few deals on Alibaba and my experiences are really good.
No need to worry about spam, sellers there are professionals.
The only extra messages I got from there were new year greetings and questions if their products meet my requirements (and if I need more :D).

Thanks!
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 18:39

If you need a specific chemical or reagent you can also try "chemical book". Just put in a quest for what you need and you'll get several offers from vendors that you can pick from.
Fair warning though, while the quality of the goods always always good in my experience. The way they handle and ship orders is sometimes a little sketchy. For instance, I once ordered some SOCl2, and a few weeks later I open the mailbox and it just REEKS of hydrochloric acid. Took out the parcel and it literally crumbled in my hands lol. But in all fairness the contents was all that they promised and cost about 1/8 of the price listed on Sigma.
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 18:42

You won't really get spam in the traditional sense. But what does frequently happen is that the sales rep lady will send you a text saying something like:

How are you doing dear? Happy with our product? When you gonna order bulk? Followed by a rose or hear emoticon.
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 18:48

One thing I forgot to mention is that recently Alibaba has set new internal guidelines that make it more difficult for vendors to offer small quantities of certain chemicals. But a lot of vendors are still happy do sell small quantities to individuals, so just ask and they might direct you to their company's store.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 11-10-2021 at 02:04

Quote: Originally posted by Monoamine  
One thing I forgot to mention is that recently Alibaba has set new internal guidelines that make it more difficult for vendors to offer small quantities of certain chemicals. But a lot of vendors are still happy do sell small quantities to individuals, so just ask and they might direct you to their company's store.

This is probably because Alibaba is the launching pad for barely-legal precursors that cartels and organized crime imports to make synthetic drugs. For us it's great news and harmless if the customs declaration of some cheap CoCl2 says "red dye" but the same mechanisms of some shady companies allow for the export to the US and EU a lot of precursors* with false paperwork. *Precursors ≠ lysergic acid or butyrolactone, but complex intermediates that need one or two reactions to be effective.

Not saying it's good or bad, but that's probably going to change in the future, and that's most likely the reason behind such guidelines.

Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2021 at 04:28

Your thinking is very idealistic. Nothing changed, all the suppliers keep selling these barely legal precursors, just by email or through MIC. It's actually awful for regular chemists like us though, as the fantastic tool of Alibaba trade assurance can't be used anymore with most reagents (as they would violate Ali's rules).
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 11-10-2021 at 04:57

Why idealistic? It's been proven that all means by which we can find chemicals are eventually shut down by aid of small changes and variations in terms and policies. And so will be Alibaba. To me it just looks like the usual route.

It's very realistic that it will soon be off limits. Like drain cleaners in hardware stores. It's also very realistic that those new rules will not impact cartels or terrorists one bit, like the sulfuric acid ban.

[Edited on 11-10-2021 by valeg96]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top