Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to store methyl iodide
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 10:51
How to store methyl iodide

The forum has a bunch on things about making methyl iodide, but practically nothing about storing it. I'm working in a garage that has about as much climate control as a hole in a tree, and I don't have a working fridge or anything for my lab. Would just wrapping the bottle in Al foil to keep the light out, storing it under copper, and wrapping the glass threads of the bottle in teflon tape be enough? I don't think I'm going to use the MeI for some time, so this is going to be >1 month storage. How should I try storing this?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:01

Don't make it until you're ready to use it. Or wait until winter.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:12

Right now, it's still pretty cold here, with highs in the 50s or 60s (F, not C :P).
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:17

I stored my homemade stuff in my freezer in an amber glass bottle containing a piece of clean copper wire. The bottle had a standard rubber seal and seemed to contain it just fine. In the lab I worked in, it was stored in the fridge in its original bottle from Sigma and I never noticed any evaporation of it in there either.

So if you have a bottle with a really good seal, fridge is probably fine. I wouldn't want to store it any warmer though, cause even if the bottle can contain it, it would become pressurized, and you'd just be asking for a sudden burst of toxic vapors whenever you open it.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:22

Ok, in that case, I'll use the MeI within a few days (< 1 week) for the first step in an ionic liquid synth (shown below), or destroy it. I'm making the MeI to test a new method of production, more details here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=156953

IonicLiquid.png - 84kB
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:31

If you can dig a hole you can make an underground storage. In the place where I live the temperature 2 meters below the ground is up to 14 deg C. Air temp in summer is even up to 40 deg C.

I have some bromoethane in GL45 bottle with red PBT-lined cap. During summer it was in a place where the temperature was nearly reaching it's boiling point. No leaks. When I opened it once I've noticed some hissing but I I didn't lost almost anything which I checked by weight of the flask.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2021 at 11:58

First the neighbors heard a blower fan coming from the garage, then they see me burying something in the backyard :P Not at all suspicious.

Go To Top