Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to balance tall glassware
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly Oxidizing into Oblivion

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 21:30
How to balance tall glassware

I have an experiment that uses a leigbeg condenser. This particular condenser is more than a foot tall. Below it there is a lab jack, a heating mantle, a 100mL flask, a clasien adapter, and a thermocouple well. To "top" it all off, there is a drying tube on top. This is way taller than my largest (2ft)retort stand. The weight of the thing also tips the base of the retort stand even without water running in the condenser. I was thinking of putting a permanent set of aluminum bars into the fume hood on which I could clamp things. My hood is a 4ft by 4ft square that is 2ft deep. Does anyone have an ideas/experience with dealing with these kinds of tall setups?

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-3-2021 at 22:33

Sounds like you need to make a rack.

And don't forget the option of suspension. I have a piece of dowel hinged from my ceiling that I use as a burette stand. Zero footprint on my bench. Impossible to knock over. And folds up out of the way when not in use.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 08:16

How make I do that @j_sum1? Could you send a photo? When I googled it, I could only find test tube racks. I can't weld(as a side note), so if building it needs welding, it's out of the question for me.

There wasn't a fire, we just had an uncontrolled rapid oxidation event at the power plant.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 08:32

It's usually called a hood lattice. It does not have to be permanent and can be setup between two ring stands. Searching hood lattice will give you some example photos.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 08:47

I once did a reaction which I had multiple devices on top of each other, and to add that I had lab jack, hotplate and bath to adjust the heating. I eventually just tightened a steel tube with thread rod attachment between the floor and ceiling in a similar manner they hang the stripper poles. Did not run out of height for my clamps.

There's really no safe way to balance any setup that will have leverage - even if you were able to clamp it tightly enough, the very delicate neck of a dropper funnel will snap if you walk past the device due to huge torsion caused by the tower of equipment.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 18:34

I still have some lattice work pieces of 1/2" rod and clamps if you are in the US. A 3 x 4 foot latttice with 7 rods is about $25 in rod and $60 in clamps, plus a few other bits and pieces, so about $100 with shipping.

Bob
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 20:09

Quote: Originally posted by Triflic Acid  
How make I do that @j_sum1? Could you send a photo? When I googled it, I could only find test tube racks. I can't weld(as a side note), so if building it needs welding, it's out of the question for me.

These two threads might give you a bunch of ideas.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=61...
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=47...

I have previously posted my burette stand but can't find it at the moment. TBH, it was hard to take a photo that showed it properly. But it was a simple arrangement: half-inch dowel, 2½ foot long. Hole drilled in the end and suspended from the floor joist above by means of a nail. The clamp is a bulldog clip attached to the dowel with a screw. When not in use I simply swing it up to the ceiling and hook the bulldog clip on another nail.
Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 06:37

Thanks for everyones help. I settled on the idea of a hood latice, and began building yesterday. I'll send the photo soon

WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 11:05

I built a lattice from 1/2” aluminum rod that I purchased from a local metal supply shop. These are the lattice connectors that I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kontes-Glass-Co-Aluminum-Lattice-Co...

To connect this to a table or wall, you need hub connectors/base plates. I don’t have a cheap source of those right now. Does anyone care to add their own sources?

Edit: I guess these are called “foot plates”?

[Edited on 21-03-22 by WGTR]

Triflic Acid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 07:01

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the hood with a 3/8 inch bit and that worked for me.

Go To Top