Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is it safe to use Cyanoacrylate glue for a kno3 al s salute? How sensitive is this type of flash?
TechTheGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 14:39
Is it safe to use Cyanoacrylate glue for a kno3 al s salute? How sensitive is this type of flash?

Is mixing Cyanoacrylate glue with 53% KNO3, 33% Al and 14% S flash powder dangerous?
If one were to make a 3d printed salute case with screw caps and some of that powder gets caught in the screwing, would it go off?

[Edited on 21-3-2021 by TechTheGuy]
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 14:44

soaking cyanoacrylate glue into any substance generates quite a bit of heat, so certainly something to be aware of. I have had a small bit of paper i used to wipe an excess off a piece ignite by itself in the bin.
Surely its worth experimenting with 100-200mg amounts of the flash mix and putting different amounts of cyanoacrylate into it to see if there is a danger to a potential chemical reaction between the glue and the mixture
TechTheGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 14:47

Quote: Originally posted by RustyShackleford  
soaking cyanoacrylate glue into any substance generates quite a bit of heat, so certainly something to be aware of. I have had a small bit of paper i used to wipe an excess off a piece ignite by itself in the bin.
Surely its worth experimenting with 100-200mg amounts of the flash mix and putting different amounts of cyanoacrylate into it to see if there is a danger to a potential chemical reaction between the glue and the mixture

What about the screw friction? Is it safe?
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 15:21

Quote: Originally posted by TechTheGuy  

What about the screw friction? Is it safe?

If you are not sure you should not be doing it (at scale anyway). If you are inexperienced you need to start small, and do all kinds of small scale tests with the stuff youre using to understand how it behaves.
Ill add that KNO3 flashes are more friction sensitive than perc based ones. Friction from a screw is def a problem.

[Edited on 21-3-2021 by RustyShackleford]
itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 18:33

Why not just apply a bit of water the threads, to dissolve the KNO3, making it no longer explosive? If you don't intend to ever open the lid again, I don't see a reason it wouldn't work.

Nuclear physics is neat. It's a shame it's so regulated...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a good thing. Still annoying though.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 21-3-2021 at 21:48

I've never done "salutes" I don't know the properties of this mixture, but 3D printing seems like a lot of work for something that's meant to break apart on its first use.

I now have a YouTube channel. So far just electronics and basic High Voltage experimentation, but I'll hopefully have some chemistry videos soon.
TechTheGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 13:30

The screws have a 0.2mm tolerance and are made out of plastic. They arent too tight. Is it safe to put the powder in, put the plastic screw half way in, add a drop of glue and screw all the way? All the contraption is plastic, no metal.
Hey Buddy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2021 at 19:29

"Flashpowder contraption" < ----------------------------------------------------------------- > "safe"
TechTheGuy
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2021 at 01:01

Quote: Originally posted by Hey Buddy  
"Flashpowder contraption" < ----------------------------------------------------------------- > "safe"

ehm it's every well designed in cad ok? bhaha.

Go To Top