Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What are reaction flasks used for?
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 01:53
What are reaction flasks used for?

What are the large opening reaction flasks generally best suited for, apart from anything that can be done in a glass flask? Is there some specific use for them which they suit better than ordinary flasks? The large opening would allow solids to be added much more easily, as cleaning the flask, and using different types of feeders like inverted funnel to dissolve gases.
enlight
Harmless

Mood: dephlogisticated

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 14:38

They also allow for the use of overhead stirrers, which are typically much more powerful than magnetic stirrers. in most cases, it would be impossible to insert an overhead stir rod into a normal boiling flask due to the size of the ground glass joint(s).
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 15:10

My stir paddles fit through 24* joints like they have been made for it, and freely through 29*. I've been using only overhead stirring for the last half a year now.
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2021 at 17:23

If nothing else, they should be easier to clean after using them. :D
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 19:12

Some say: "explosion proof" so in theorie in an explosion the lid fly away and the flask do not go to your face... but I doubt the builders make test of this like the car industry with test dummies. read my thread on lids. I end with a conclusion, nobody have no idea about this type of flask, the lids, etc... so if you find any info or video... about test of this lab piece put here the info.

For charred plant material or salts ending in a very hard stone... with lower volumes you can break the flask every time or throw it away but with 2, 5, 10 liters.. too much money throw it away :-)

some idiot with a lot of money of these making absurd videos exploding everything you can imagine can make a video putting some explosive shit inside of one of this flask and see what the Hell happend? :-=
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 23:48

No glass flask is explosion proof. They all will shatter. The explosion proof reactor vessels are packed in a thick polycarbonate mantle, which reduces the shrapnel if the device explodes or implodes due to pressure difference. Explosion proof does not mean you can conduct detonation tests in them.

Only major benefit I see is the ease of charging and removing solid material.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 07:58

I already said that this sounded very suspicious and pompous! :-)

Anyway the explosion wave always search the low resistence point to scape and in a reaction flask is in the contact flask-lid. The clamp have the form to facilitate this "fly away lid". So put the clamp exerting the least possible force to mantaing the union free of leaks.

on the other hand if the explosion is very great the flask and the heating mantle in pieces fly at your face! :-(

well I never work with explosive things and mixes but always protection is good, so I have in mind to make a shield of 2 or 4 layers of transparent plastic like a bank cristal bulletproof. if unfortunately someday something happens I think with this shield people are protected in a 90-100%

Go To Top