Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Building a high temperature fuel cell (SOFC)
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 24-4-2021 at 18:41
Building a high temperature fuel cell (SOFC)

https://www.fuelcellstore.com/fuel-cell-components

So I have a supply of methane (from compost) I would like to convert into electricity without using a generator (they are loud and I would have to use an propane adapter so it uses gas instead of liquid). A high temperature fuel cell can run many different fuel without the catalysis becoming poisoned. many fuel cells use platinum except the SOFC.

Any ideas on assembly
Electrodes
Catalysis
Membranes
solid ceramic electrolyte

SOFC stack using cerium gadolinium oxide (CGO) in place of current industry standard ceramic, yttria stabilized zirconia (YSZ), which allows the use of stainless steel to support the ceramic.

Molten carbonate fuel cells (MCFCs) are currently being developed for natural gas, biogas (produced as a result of anaerobic digestion or biomass gasification), and coal-based power plants for electrical utility,

The alkaline fuel cell, also known as the Bacon fuel cell after its inventor, has been used in NASA space programs since the mid-1960s to generate power for satellites and space capsules.

Direct carbon fuel cell
This design utilizes molten tin and tin oxide as an inter stage reaction between oxidation of the carbon dissolving in the anode and reduction of oxygen at the solid oxide cathode

Fuel cells are classified by the type of electrolyte they use

What's the best way to go about this.

[Edited on 25-4-2021 by symboom]

BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 11:28

Best way to go about this ? Maybe first figuring out your skills and your available time ? Lots of small tricks to know both in terms of catalyst preparation and fuel cell construction, that means lots of way to fail. I have read lots of paper on these systems, it is hard to build for the amateur. To me this is like battery building mixed with industrial chem continuous mechanics, not easy. Plus, high temps makes testing slow and complicated, except for SOFC, big problem here is H2S sulfur sensitivity of the nickel anode catalyst and rare earth metals for cathode layer.

I have these projects on my list as well but I do not take them up as my construction skills are not quite there yet. But I agree the idea of having plentiful home-made domestic electricity with a silent generator is compelling. Congrats if you manage to make something past the test phase. Maybe some other members with experience in this field could chime in and give you some practical advice ?

Potential counts for nothing until realized.
Big Boss
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-5-2021 at 17:32

This video seems informative: https://youtu.be/yrAAVOgBmcE
Demonstrates a 1kW fuel cell at the end producing 48V 21A

Kept you waiting, huh?

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
29-11-2023 at 20:51

Go To Top