Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easiest way to make red selenium
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2021 at 00:40
Easiest way to make red selenium

Hi. I made red selenium very easily. I used only dilute selenous acid solution and potassium metabisulfite. I mixed solutions and put it in the sunlight. I think 8 hours is enough to used all selenous acid, because when i added carbonate nothing happened.

I think some of you will use it because metabisulfite is much cheaper than concentrated sulfuric acid and also affordable. Selenium had nice red colour, but i made it few days ago, since then it has been exposed to sunlight and It therefore has a dark color.
received_482071709508826.jpeg - 241kB

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-4-2021 at 22:57

I know of this precedure. You can speed up the procedure by adding some chloride (e.g. dilute HCl). The chloride ions have a catalytic effect on this reaction.

I have made some of this red Se, cleaned it with distilled water, and dried it. The dry material I put in an ampoule. But unfortunately, the material is not stable. Over the weeks, the material turns dark grey and half a year later, you hardly can see the red color anymore. The saturation of the color decreases over time, just to be left with zero saturation, being a dull gray material.

I have seen samples of red selenium for sale, not the amorphous material, made from reduction of a selenite or selenous oxide, but by dissolving the thus obtained red selenium in some solvent and then very slowly letting the solvent evaporate, so that you get a crystalline solid. These crystals are dark red and apparently they are more stable. I never purchased some of that red selenium though, because it is very expensive (several euros per gram), and I still have severe doubts on its long-term stability. I want some for an element collection, stable for years in a display, which is in daylight.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2021 at 23:41

Does this procedure work with mercury?
:-)
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 05:45

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I know of this precedure. You can speed up the procedure by adding some chloride (e.g. dilute HCl). The chloride ions have a catalytic effect on this reaction.

I have made some of this red Se, cleaned it with distilled water, and dried it. The dry material I put in an ampoule. But unfortunately, the material is not stable. Over the weeks, the material turns dark grey and half a year later, you hardly can see the red color anymore. The saturation of the color decreases over time, just to be left with zero saturation, being a dull gray material.

I have seen samples of red selenium for sale, not the amorphous material, made from reduction of a selenite or selenous oxide, but by dissolving the thus obtained red selenium in some solvent and then very slowly letting the solvent evaporate, so that you get a crystalline solid. These crystals are dark red and apparently they are more stable. I never purchased some of that red selenium though, because it is very expensive (several euros per gram), and I still have severe doubts on its long-term stability. I want some for an element collection, stable for years in a display, which is in daylight.

Can you tell me more about chlorine ion catalyst effect?
I agree, every red selenium which i made now have dark colour, but not grey, it has black colour.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 05:46

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Does this procedure work with mercury?

What do you mean?

njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 05:53

I believe unionised is referring to "red mercury" which is (as far as I know) an urban legend stemming from nuclear weapons research.

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 09:12

Oh i understand. Good one :D

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2021 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by njl  
I believe unionised is referring to "red mercury" which is (as far as I know) an urban legend stemming from nuclear weapons research.

Go To Top