Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to separate Bismuth from lead and tin?
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 04:19
How to separate Bismuth from lead and tin?

Hi. i have rose's metal and does it possible to separate Bismuth from them?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=157392

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 10:36

Okay, i made it. I dissolved alloy in conc. Nitric acid, i used excess metal, then i added water and insoluble Bismuth oxynitrate was formed. From oxynitrate i will make Bismuth oxide.

Infamous_Reddy
Harmless

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 10:53

You could separate them by considering the reactivity series of metals.

First, increase the surface area of the alloy to increase the rate of reaction as metal displacement reaction can often take hours. Then, take a sol. of any soluble Antimony compound (which doesn't hydrolyse in water) and put the alloy in the sol. As the Antimony is more reactive than the Bismuth but less so than the Lead and Zinc, the antimony should slowly precipitate while the Pb and Sn slowly displace the Sb. After several hours, almost all of the Lead and Zinc should be dissolved. Then, you can add nitric acid to convert them into their nitrate salts and add glycerol. Work with it as soon as possible as Bi(NO3)3 decomposes into BiONO3. Bismuth nitrate is soluble in glycerol but the solubility of antimony nitrate is very slight. After the Antimony nitrate precipitates, filter it. Reduce the nitrate back to bismuth metal by aluminium foil or any other reducing agents.

You could also vacuum distill the Rose metal if you have access to that. That is much less tedious and less time-consuming.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 11:15

Thanks, interesting method. That is problem for me, because I don't have much antimony source, but i have lots of azeotropic nitric acid and i will use it.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 11:25

If you dissolve it in HNO3, tin precipitates as SnO2. In the solution will be Bi(NO3)3 and Pb(NO3)3, which you can separate by hydrolysis of bismuth nitrate as you suggest.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-5-2021 at 12:15

Thanks Bedlasky, i forgot to say that. When i dissolved alloy in nitric acid, Solution wasn't clear, it had white colour, then white powder precipitated. as you mentioned this is a SnO2, next filtered Solution contains soluble nitrates.

This is precipitated oxide and excess metal(yellowish colour is because of light).

received_306141187620515.jpeg - 57kB

symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 13-5-2021 at 06:17

Next would be separating lead nitrate from the bismuth nitrate. It looks like sodium plumbate is soluble and sodium bismuthate is insouble but becareful these are very powerful oxidizers.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-5-2021 at 10:00

Sodium bimusthate(V) can't be made in this way. What would oxidize Bi(III) to Bi(V)? Nitrate? Too weak oxidiser (and we are talking about alkaline solution, where nitrate practically don't have oxidizing properties). I doubt that you can oxidise Bi(III) to Bi(V) in aqueous solution (but in solid state it is quite easy).

Above pH 2 bismuth form insoluble basic nitrates, while lead stay dissolved.

unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2021 at 13:40

Did you consider adding salt?
Lead chloride is almost insoluble.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2021 at 12:00

When i had acidic solution of lead and bismuth, i precipitated they with hydroxide. Next i filtered it and dissolved lead hydroxide in hot hydroxide solution to produce soluble Na2[Pb(OH)4]. I dissolved Bismuth hydroxide in concentrated nitric acid and added potassium dichromate concentrated solution. The product is not very pure, but process was fun.

received_939889973470034.jpeg - 160kB

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 10-7-2021 at 08:59

The colour does not look like the lead dichromate which I (probably) obtained here, but more like lead chromate, PbCrO4.

Could it be that you did not wash away all of your lead as plumbate so that the remaining lead caused the yellow colour of PbCrO4? And could it be that that the SnO2 wasn't part of the reaction? In that cae you would still get a chrome yellow precipitate, but its constituents would be SnO2 and PbCrO4.

I searched on stannic chromate, but I did not find too much serious information on it, merely automatically generated pages. It does seem to have a CAS number, though, found here. (I don't say the compound cannot exist, but did you obtain it?)
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2021 at 10:50

I washed the bismuth hydroxide well. Of course there would be small amount. When I dissolved the metal in nitric acid then tin dioxide precipitated, I have already mentioned this step above, I just did not repeat it again.

Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2021 at 11:38

Bazaleel: Bismuth chromate is yellow.

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 12-7-2021 at 08:06

I completely missed the step of filtering off the tin oxide. The solution you started with contained Pb(NO3)2 and Bi-nitrate or basic Bi nitrate.
So please ignore my remarks, they don' t make sense. Sorry about the confusion.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2021 at 08:59

Quote: Originally posted by Bezaleel  
I completely missed the step of filtering off the tin oxide. The solution you started with contained Pb(NO3)2 and Bi-nitrate or basic Bi nitrate.
So please ignore my remarks, they don' t make sense. Sorry about the confusion.

No problem. I dissolved alloy in azeotropic nitric acid, first tin dioxide precipitated, next i stared working on acidic solution of Bi and Pb nitrates. There are also other way, you can make dilute solution, then bismuth oxynitrate forms, which is insoluble, but hydroxide is easier to filter.

Go To Top