Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Squash and Cordial?
Aloesci
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2021 at 22:56
Squash and Cordial?

In the Uk we call it squash (Rubena, vimto, Robinson's..etc) and Australia calls it cordial (Cottees, Golden circle) but I'm not sure about the US. Maybe cool aid?

Anyway, as far as I know all of the components of these 'dilute your own' drinks are fully water soluble. Why then, if you mix them with water thoroughly and then leave them to sit for a day, do they seperate out with nearly pure water on top?

I couldn't find anything about this online and even wondered if it could be a (very slow) seperation process for any other kinds of aqueous solution. Do the bigger molecules sink or something? Maybe I'm missing something about my understanding of homogenous solutions?
zinc finger
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2021 at 00:12

I would guess the effect is caused by turbidities. They are typically larger molecules which are not completely soluble in water. They might however form a very fine suspension at first. After a while they will aggregate to larger particles. Then they fall out of solution. If you (take a straw and) carefully try tasting the upper watery layer, you will recognise that it is still sweet as the sugar will stay dissolved. Some of the flavours and dyes might be lost by getting trapped in the aggregated turbidities. In the syrup bottle, the high sugar concentration probably stabilizes the suspension.

[Edited on 21-5-2021 by zinc finger]

Go To Top