Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 16 oz of nitroethane. Buy or nah?
njl
National Hazard

Mood: ambivalent

[*] posted on 13-6-2021 at 05:30

At least we know now. I suppose that also applies to this.

Reflux condenser?? I barely know her!
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2021 at 09:45

yes, it applies to that; thats the bottle I distilled.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2021 at 14:12

I bought the same brand of brush cleaner a few years ago. I tried doing a water wash to separate the nitroethane and the water soluble crap. I instantly knew something was wrong when it formed a single layer. Tried salting out the "nitroethane" and nothing ever separated out, so I just threw it the fuck away. As far as I know there is only a single "OTC" product on the market in the United States that contains an appreciable and affordable amount of nitroethane.

[Edited on 6-13-2021 by monolithic]
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2021 at 07:37

and whats that?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 15-6-2021 at 08:08

its lucky they havent realized the energetics potential of NE, its very damn close to NM.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
student
Harmless

Mood: Full of Love

[*] posted on 15-6-2021 at 12:58

I checked one of these 16 oz bottles and have a theory about what is going on. My bottle looks tampered with, having label residue on the cap and no seal. The contents are colorless despite the official ingredients including blue coloring. It smells like an ester, and the smell is much stronger than pure nitroethane. I ran the Henry reaction on a small scale with benzaldehyde and it turned dark orange, so nitroethane seems to be present. Diluting the cold reaction product with water causes a brown oil to precipitate that smells like benzaldehyde, consistent with a low concentration of nitroethane in the cleaner.

I will try distilling it. When I distilled Mia Secret brush cleaner, which was also missing the blue dye and gave an identical result with the Henry reaction, it gave 15 mL of distillate between 110°C and 120°C from 110 mL of cleaner. So there may be 10% nitroethane in it, making it not cost effective as a source.

We have been speculating that these products are getting reformulated out of concerns for user safety or misuse of the product. But the observations above suggest that there is a middleman intercepting the bottles and replacing their contents with reformulated solvent. The incentive would be to then sell the nitroethane on the black market.

One question I have for the OP - when the bottles give a proper yield of nitrostyrene, is the brush cleaner blue or colorless?
mr_bovinejony
Hazard to Others

Mood: ASS

[*] posted on 15-6-2021 at 16:09

Where are you buying these bottles from where a middleman gets ahold of them? Seems like from Amazon or from the supplier themselves, they shouldnt be able to be tampered with
student
Harmless

Mood: Full of Love

[*] posted on 16-6-2021 at 06:22

Quote: Originally posted by mr_bovinejony  
Where are you buying these bottles from where a middleman gets ahold of them? Seems like from Amazon or from the supplier themselves, they shouldnt be able to be tampered with

I've bought from Amazon and eBay. The fact that this exact same counterfeiting is happening with different brands means that any "middleman" is involved early in the supply chain, maybe just an employee at a bottling factory. I don't know that the counterfeit product is identical between brands, but the OP's distillation results sound equivalent to my own.
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2021 at 10:23

ive only ever used the small bottles, which were colorless. I never did a reduction to amphetamine using what I believe is the desired nitropropene, just to note.

we could of course contact the owners about the issue: https://cuccio.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us

but I think our cries would fall on deaf ears.

I tried the henry reaction using the stuff from 16oz bottles and it turned dark orange after only 15 mintes of reflux. thats oddly fast to me. for some reason the color change is happening but there seems to not be any nitroethane in the brush cleaner.

[Edited on 16-6-2021 by chemist1243]
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 16-6-2021 at 10:57

Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  
I never did a reduction to amphetamine using what I believe is the desired nitropropene, just to note.

You could have said the same with "I wasn't one of the cool kids" in fewer words :P
Just kidding of course.

By the way, in a good henry reaction, you aim not to have much color change at all, that defies the thought the way you carry it out.
im-not-a-cook.jpg - 53kB

[Edited on 16-6-2021 by karlos³]
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2021 at 15:55

amphetamine is SOOOO last weekend, get with the times! ;D

I think in a good henry reaction, yes, piss-yellow is ideal. but I know strong coloration is definitely a good indicator that somethings happening.
Monoamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: +7

[*] posted on 25-6-2021 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  
I found 16oz of nearly pure nitroethane in the form of brush cleaner. I know its almost pure, as ive used the same formula straight from a .5oz bottle before in the Henry reaction and everything went fine, plus MSDS confirms its at least 98%.

Should i buy it? I was able to find it on amazon and eBay, but am still nervous because..well...its a massive quantity. I’m worried if i may get a visit from some law enforcement entities after ordering such a large amount of a product who’s main component almost certainly implies drug synthesis.

I’m torn. Thoughts?

So if it's a brush cleaner then why not just check if your local arts and crafts store has it an pay wirh cash? Technically you're using it for art too after all...
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 25-6-2021 at 13:59

All that distillation it actually sounds easier to go the bromoethane/sodium nitrite route.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top