Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Phenol from Salicylic Acid using "Soda Lime"
CwisGons
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-7-2021 at 15:46
Making Phenol from Salicylic Acid using "Soda Lime"

I wish to create phenol from salicylic acid by decarboxylation and subsequent distillation. While I heard that a catalyst is not necessary, I wish to use one because I want higher yields. I looked online and heard of the Dumas reaction, in which soda lime is used to decarboxylate many carboxylic acids, including making benzene from sodium benzoate.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Organic_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules_(Organic_Chemistry)/Carboxylic_Acids/Reactivity_of_Carboxylic_Acids/The _Decarboxylation_of_Carboxylic_Acids_and_Their_Salts

While I am unable to get soda lime, I thought of mixing sodium hydroxide and hydrated lime, which I can easily find.

I read that "Soda lime contained 95% calcium hydroxide, either sodium or potassium hydroxide, and the balance as water."

How much soda lime should I use per gram of salicylic acid? I don't want to use too much soda lime, because I'm using borosilicate glass. Also, I'm afraid of the formation of sodium phenolate, which I don't think that I can distill. Any advice?
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 7-7-2021 at 07:16

I think a small amount, nothing close to equimolar, wouldn't hurt. Because you're performing a decarboxylation, though, the soda lime will quickly convert to calcium and sodium carbonates (if their salicylate salts do decarboxylate as intended). These are basic enough to deprotonate more salicylic acid, but once the hydroxide moieties are expended, the mixture shouldn't be alkaline enough to react appreciably with phenol. The carbonates will probably also compete with the formation of phenyl salicylate, an intermediate which traditionally leads to some of the salicylic acid irreversibly converting to xanthone.

In short, I don't know this method to afford any benefits over the usual way, but as long as sodium and calcium salicylates cleanly decarboxylate as benzoates do, I think it's worth a shot. Maybe try a test tube scale reaction where you merely heat the two together and see if you smell any phenol.

Go To Top