Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Puryfiing 99% denatured alcohol
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 11:19

Apparently cyclopentane works as an entrainer to separate ethanol from a ternary ethanol/isopropanol/water mixture.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2021 at 01:24

Quote: Originally posted by Mateo_swe  
In Sweden we call homemade ethanol made for drinking "Hembrännt", hem=home, brännt=brewed, distilled.
In my youth i had a stainless distiller rig with 20L capacity.
I made the "Mäsk" with turboyeast + common sugar in 25L pails, it took 4-5 days something to be ready for the distiller.
After distilling, diluting to 40% and purification by activated coal it tastes almost nothing, just a warmth in the chest.
Way better than store bought vodka.
The secret to very good homemade ethanol is the quality of the activated coal.
I still have the stainless distilling rig somewhere but it hasnt been used for 15-20 years.
Maybe i could start using it for making absolute ethanol.
But how to get rid of the last 5% water, molecular sieves?

Here in Oz we also call it home brew.as for the last 5% use dehydrated cuso4
or mgso4 but not calcium salts as they dissolve in etOH.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 03:33

here I found this interesting info:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/What-is-the-most-appropria...

Quote:

Simplest classical method - reflux with CaO (BaO), distillation and susequent preparation of magnesium ethylate and reflux over them (to achive absolute alcohol).
At pressure below 70Torr, ethanol do not build azeothrope with water, so it can be distilled in relative pure form - this conditions are very attractive to room temperature pervaporation.
To avoid relative complex magnesium ethylate prep-step, absolutization can be performed by standing over 3A molecular sieves.

Has anyone tried the distillation below 70 Torr? I expect coil condenser and suitable cooling liquid necessary (for example ethylene glycol or at least very concentrated salty solution like CaCl2 or NH4NO3). Seems to be suitable experiment for winter time (to cool the cooling liquid somewhere outside during freezing winter temperatures). I expect water aspirator would be preferred as a vacuum source (through which a water with temperature above 0 C must circulate of course) because a rotary oil vacuum pump would create too low vacuum level and would require even much more colder cooling liquid.

[Edited on 11-9-2021 by Fery]

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 11-9-2021 at 22:12

The question is how many theoretical plates will be required to separate such a mixture with a 16-17C difference in bp to better than 95.6% purity, and how many one's setup/hands has at 70 mm. This method is not left out of lab manuals by accident.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top