Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: book recomendations?
Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 06:14
book recomendations?

hi, im just getting back into chemistry as a hobby after a few years away from it and am looking for some book recomendations?
i have some experience of actual processes (distillation, reflux, extractions, filtering ect...) and can follow a synthesis, but never put enough effort into learning about what is actually happening at the unseen level if you know what i mean lol :/.
i have had a look through the stickies and free chem texts which are great but i am somewhat oldschool and prefer a physical book haha, does anyone have any thoughts on the best publication to learn the basics from?
any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 06:35

Depends if you intend to practice organic or inorganic chemistry.

Vogel is the best book for a practical approach in organic chemistry, I suppose.
For a theoretical approach to organic chemistry, I warmly recommend this one (I have the paperback edition): Organic Chemistry by Jonathan Clayden, Nick Geeves, Stuart Warren. 2nd Edition, 2012 - ISBN: 978-0199270293 Oxford University Press

For inorganic chemistry, it’s not that easy. I've got this one: Inorganic chemistry, by Mark T. Weller, Tina Overton, Fraser Armstrong, Jonathan Rourke
Oxford University Press, 2018. I think it is quite good. But then again, others might differ.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 5-8-2021 at 17:05

The general chemistry go to book is chemistry: the central science by brown.
General chemistry by linus pauling is older but very good.

Organic chemistry by klein (he has a number of books)
There a bunch of others.
Obviously zubrick ochem lab survival manual

Advanced inorganic chemistry by cotton and wilkinson

Physical chemistry lots of choices , atkins. Barrow or others.

Of course check out the texts in the library.

For home science robert bruce Thompsons books are great resources.

Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 02:28

thankyou for your suggestions :) i have bought a copy of organic chemistry - Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers am going to give that a go to start with :)
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 13:29

The Organic Chemistry books by Solomons and McMurry are also good for beginner-level organic chemistry (1st year undergrad stuff). I also recommend the already-mentioned Organic Chemistry book by Peter Wothers.

By the way, if you are interested, Peter Wothers performs some entertaining chemistry demonstrations on youtube (Royal Institution lectures)
HydrogenSulphate
Harmless

Mood: Caffeinated

[*] posted on 11-8-2021 at 13:35

A fantastic starter-level chemistry textbook:

"General Chemistry- Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci et. al.

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/product/Petrucci...

Colleen Ortiz
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-3-2022 at 02:11

Hello,
E-books are the best in this context. If you are looking for places to find E-books, click here: https://mytutorsource.com/blog/best-places-to-buy-education-...
Here are a few books to go through for a better understanding of the subject.
Everything You Need to Ace Chemistry in One Big Fat Notebook
This Big Fat Notebook breaks down one big unpleasant subject into manageable chunks, including all you need to know throughout a year of high school chemistry class. Mnemonic devices, definitions, infographics, educational doodles, and quizzes may all be used to help you study better and receive higher scores.
Chemistry Made Easy: An Illustrated Study Guide For Students To Easily Learn Chemistry
Over 300 images are included in this book to help you grasp what you need to know about chemistry at its most fundamental level. Even though chemistry is a large subject, it is not necessary to spend years studying it unless it is your college major.
After reading this, you will definitely not be a chemical rookie. You will discover that chemistry is everything about matter. The matter may be broken down into molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles to a significant extent. The more compact the subject, the more engaging it becomes.

Go To Top